John Deere 955 mower deck problem

Thread: John Deere 955 mower deck problem

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    08-17-2019 @ 10:42 PM
    Thanks

John Deere 955 mower deck problem

First time poster, longtime visitor. I have a John Deere 955 with a 72 inch deck. Unfortunately, my gear box on the deck just failed. My guess is that it had a leak and I didn't notice, neither did the dealer who serviced it 2 weeks ago. I tried to find a replacement gear box but my part number AM106078 for my model 575247 deck is unavailable. Mine is a Peerless with two straight shafts while the available gearbox has one that's straight and the other is tapered. I could not find a rebuild kit either. I did find a a used 72 inch deck about 1.5 hrs from where I live but its from an 870 tractor and deck model # 100997. I called my local JD dealer to see if the deck off the 870 would work on my 955 but they could not answer. Just wonder if anyone knew if I could use a deck from an 870 on my 955? Any advice would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Dan

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 06:57 PM
    Thanks
    Welcome to the GTT Forum.

What exactly failed in your gearbox? Parts are available; I had to replace the output shaft on the gearbox for my 60" deck, and the shaft, bearings and seals were about $150 or so. Not saying that you can rebuild your gearbox for that kind of money, but you can probably rebuild the gearbox for the cost of purchasing a deck that may or may not fit, plus time and expenses to travel 3 hours to pick it up.

Dave
    1990 955
    Curtis Cab
    Model 59 2 stage snowblower
    72" mid mount mower
    Model 70A loader with Edge Tamers and Edge Extenders

1990 420 repowered with V Twin Honda
    Cozy Cab
    Model 47 2 stage snowblower
    60" mid mount mower
    3 bag Material Collection System

1939 Oliver Row Crop 70

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Town Manager For This Useful Post:

drmahalo (06-14-2019)

5. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Town Manager View Post

What exactly failed in your gearbox? Parts are available; I had to replace the output shaft on the gearbox for my 60" deck, and the shaft, bearings and seals were about $150 or so. Not saying that you can rebuild your gearbox for that kind of money, but you can probably rebuild the gearbox for the cost of purchasing a deck that may or may not fit, plus time and expenses to travel 3 hours to pick it up.

Dave
    Tough for me to say, it was pouring out metal from where drive shaft connects.
    Dealer told me my gear box was obsolete. There is a replacement that has a tapered shaft going to pulley (mine was straight). Unfortunately, not cheap. $850 for new gear box and $200 for pulley. For $800 I can get a whole deck with less hours on it than mine.

The deck I'm looking at off the 870 looks to be in great shape. JP parts say deck serial # should fit my tractor. It's being sold with all the connecting hardware and I still have all mine. I've been told that the X70 series (870, 970) are X55's (855, 955) without the hydrostatic transmission? I'm still wet behind the ears and just trying to make sure.
    Last edited by drmahalo; 06-14-2019 at 09:39 AM. Reason: correction

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Town Manager View Post

Dave
    My 955 deck model # is M00296X575247 -- actually lists as a 1988 JD855 deck (I'm not the original owner.)
    The deck I'm looking at is off a JD 870 and has model# M00297X10097.

JD parts say its compatible, but, when I look up the deck parts under the 955, they are different than the deck parts under the 870; so I'm a bit confused.

I saw an older post on this site ("Who can help: serial # for 72 inch mower deck") that said I might have to change mounting hardware, but I've got my original hardware and the deck I'm thinking of buying has hardware and driveshaft included.

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:03 PM
    NW Oregun Gutterslut...the Wet Side.... Gaston
    Thanks
    my 955 deck is 60"

Model # is " 60 " Hydrocut "

It does have a serial # which is a bunch of #'s

I realize this does or may not pertain to your issue..It struck me as odd that my Model # was actually a Name.

Mine is 1996 ish vintage......I've found zero used units up here in Oregon...I'd love a 72"
    Maybe these #'s will help you make sense of yours idk..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20190424_084205738.jpg  
    Last edited by theduke; 06-14-2019 at 05:58 PM.
    Dan

JD 955 ,70A loader, 60" mmm , Original I-match ,4' woods B hog , 5' Box blade , 12' orchard plane/driveway grader ,various other doo-dads & homebuilt implements. Goossen BFBlower, JakeRake..this thing is different.
    Kubota U-15
    Kubota RTV 900

47 8n......good times..V8 in my future possibly

Pharrell Williams - Freedom (Video) - YouTube ...George Michael - Freedom! ’90 (Official Video) - YouTube..

9. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements