Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: Outdoor implement storage - Covers

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    06-20-2019 @ 04:43 PM
    Thanks

Outdoor implement storage - Covers

So I keep my implements outdoors, covered with tarps. The tarps do a good enough job, but they're kind of horrid to look at when I go behind the building and they're a pain to take on and off.

Been playing with the idea of an ATV or lawn mower cover with elastic on the bottom for each individual implement. Would really like something with a draw string but can't find anything yet. Anybody have experience or wisdom to offer me with this endeavor?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 06:23 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cropgun View Post
    So I keep my implements outdoors, covered with tarps. The tarps do a good enough job, but they're kind of horrid to look at when I go behind the building and they're a pain to take on and off.

Been playing with the idea of an ATV or lawn mower cover with elastic on the bottom for each individual implement. Would really like something with a draw string but can't find anything yet. Anybody have experience or wisdom to offer me with this endeavor?
    the covers need to breath or you will get molds unless you live in a very dry area of country. I had an old Ford i covered that way and learned my lesson.
    SulleyBear and JD4044M like this.

4. Top | #3
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:47 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,001 Times in 2,957 Posts
    Trapped moisture can be a concern when covering a tractor.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD,
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:05 PM
    Thanks
    my tiller, snowblower, and rear blade sit out uncovered without issue.
    Loader also sits outside when it is off the tractor, as do the bucket and forks.

Along with the pain of covering/uncovering, finding the cover when it blows away, etc. I'm more concerned with the trapped moisture than sun fading and rain.

Equipment sat out on the farm all the time without ill effect.
    2010 2320 with 200cx FEL
    54D MMM
    54" front mount blower
    Titan 42" forks w/ receiver hitch
    County Line 5' tiller
    6' JD rear blade (tree find)

7. Top | #5
    SRG
    Last Online
    10-06-2019 @ 09:47 PM
    Thanks
    I sympathize. I hate leaving my stuff outside as well. I pretty much refuse to buy implements or tractors that show sun fading. One huge downfall to Kubota Tractors, when they are left outside, is they start to turn a MaryKay pink.

OP, are you able to build just a primitive lean-to off the back of your building? A few 2x4's, and a sheet of treated plywood, is all you'd need to make one as simple as possible. attach one 2x4 length wise on building (level), dig two shallow holes for two more 2x4's, attach one last 2x4 across those two, and attach the sheet of plywood to all of them, at a slight angle for water run off. Can even throw a tarp over it or put some shingles on it too.

1997 JD 870 (28hp Yanmar), FWA, R1's, 300x loader, 61" bucket, 42" Titan forks, Pat's Easy Change.
    [72" KK box blade, 72" KK landscape rake, 72" Titan pine straw rake, 72" Express Steel snow pusher{XP24}, 60" KK tiller, 60" rotary cutter, middle buster, boom pole]
    2004 JD 797 (29hp Kawasaki) Z-Trak, 72" 7-Iron deck, Mulch blades, Carlisle AT101's.
    Stihl: MS250C/18", FS70R, HS45/18".

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:20 PM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,554 Times in 1,434 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SRG View Post
    I sympathize. I hate leaving my stuff outside as well. I pretty much refuse to buy implements or tractors that show sun fading. One huge downfall to Kubota Tractors, when they are left outside, is they start to turn a MaryKay pink.

OP, are you able to build just a primitive lean-to off the back of your building? A few 2x4's, and a sheet of treated plywood, is all you'd need to make one as simple as possible. attach one 2x4 length wise on building (level), dig two shallow holes for two more 2x4's, attach one last 2x4 across those two, and attach the sheet of plywood to all of them, at a slight angle for water run off. Can even throw a tarp over it or put some shingles on it too.
    I am with SRG with a simple lean to type roof to shield the implements from the elements. You can even build a very simple frame and hang it off the rear of the building as SRG mentioned. I would suggest either steel or fiberglass panels for the roof, instead of shingles, just to keep the weight down on the unit. Depending upon where you are located, the snow load might also be an issue so that needs to be considered.

If you are set on individual covers for the implements, there are people / places that will make the covers to your dimensions with either industrial elastic or a draw string around the bottom. They can even incorporate metal rings for securing the covers to the implement with bungee straps, etc.

Here is a link to a place that will make you a custom cover for anything you need.....

Custom Cover for Square Rectangle Object - Coversandall

Here are some cover clips I use for items which are covered with tarps temporarily and they are very handy. These are adjustable and actually work very well to keep the tarp or cover on. You can put them where they are needed, verses trying to work with the rings in the tarp for tie down points.

https://www.harborfreight.com/multip...-pc-63067.html
    Gizmo2 and JD4044M like this.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:41 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,668 Times in 1,263 Posts
    IMHO covers do more harm than good. They also provide the perfect breeding ground for gritters and insect nests. Unfortunately we all don't have huge implement buildings and some things must sit outside.

One thing I do to mitigate deterioration on my hydraulic rear blade (used primarily for snow removal) is I pull the pins and store the hydraulic cylinder and hoses inside the garage over the summer.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Today @ 03:33 AM
    Thanks
    I would vote for a small lean-to either free standing or attached to your barn or garage. You may be able to reclaim some salvage materials or find some things in the “scratch and dent” pile at the big box home improvement store. It would keep the sun and most of the rain/snow off your implements.
    Gizmo2 and JD4044M like this.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:23 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MTB98 View Post
    I would vote for a small lean-to either free standing or attached to your barn or garage. You may be able to reclaim some salvage materials or find some things in the “scratch and dent” pile at the big box home improvement store. It would keep the sun and most of the rain/snow off your implements.

100% agree
    i keep a eye on craigslist and Fb marketplace ...and every couple of years i do a build from used materials....amazing what you can build at a low cost if you have the skills...(i do live in a no-code area and have a lot of equipment) .....i build on a larger scale but the principles are the same....i am currently finishing a 2000 fter that cost less than 1$ a square foot to build ....i work on it when i can but did a bit of endwall sheeting today and do everything myself so it can be done....(might do a thread on it sometime) ...pic from project during roofing process....point is a bit of time and effort can go a long way..........but you can always buy a cheap carport package...or around here there are builders that make open sided portable sheds for animals on farms....or grab a few 2x4s and staple some plastic on them...lol...this thread went from grill covers to construction projects in a hurry LOL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20190601_191640.jpg  
    Last edited by ttazzman; 06-14-2019 at 12:17 AM.
    John Deere
    5105M
    Caterpillar
    D4Hxl
    416C
    Gehl
    5635DX

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    06-20-2019 @ 04:43 PM
    Thanks
    Currently I am keeping everything on the north side of my shop and that keeps it out of the sun. I also have a clearing in the woods where I can store stuff in the permanent shade. I guess my biggest worry is moisture and rust. I could build a lean to, but not a ton of room to do so.

Maybe uncovered is the way to go and just have to live with the rust.

I live in farm country and like others have mentioned, plenty of farmers keep their stuff outside.
    JD4044M and Kbar like this.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast