Like Tree11Likes

Thread: 2016 3032e with Frontier Rotary Cutter PTO shaft stuck

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:38 AM
    Thanks

2016 3032e with Frontier Rotary Cutter PTO shaft stuck

Hi all,

Never posted here but have lurked around since not long after I got my 3032e with loader, Frontier bush hog and an iMatch. I had the PTO shaft get stuck on the tractor PTO shaft 3 times. The last time was this week. A friend and I hooked up the bush hog for him to borrow it. I lubricated both ends well and double checked to be sure the locking pins (balls unsure) fully engaged the indent on the shaft. When he brought it back the shaft had been forced past the indent too far onto the shaft and was a bear to get off. Anyone here have any suggestions on how to keep this from happening again and if it does happen again the best way to get it unstuck?

Thanks Much
    Jack Lemley

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:42 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,602 Times in 1,217 Posts
    Is it possible your PTO shaft is a bit too long causing it to push forward when fully collapsed?
    rtgt and Yank like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:54 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    Is it possible your PTO shaft is a bit too long causing it to push forward when fully collapsed?
    I agree totally. Sounds like the shaft needs shortened.
    rtgt likes this.
    Yancey

2017 2038R 220R loader
    Frontier 72” rear blade
    Frontier 60” box blade
    Frontier 65” tiller
    Frontier subsoiler
    Frontier 60” landplane
    Frontier 42” pallet forks
    Frontier 72” RC 2072
    HH toothbar KBOH’s bucket hooks
    2017 X580
    Model 80 trailer

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks much for the quick responses but I bought the tractor and implements brand new at the same time from my local JD dealer. Why would they sell me a tractor and bush hog that has a PTO shaft too long for my tractor? Not saying that is not the problem but just doesn't make sense. Plus, with the bush hog attached to the iMatch the bush hog is positioned further away from the tractor than without so folks without the iMatch would even more of a problem. Any other thoughts?

Thanks
    Jack

Quote Originally Posted by Yank View Post
    I agree totally. Sounds like the shaft needs shortened.

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:40 PM
    Thanks
    Does it look like the shaft was ever cut down? My guess they don’t adjust the shaft unless asked. Remember it is built to be put on multiple tractor sizes but needs to be fitted to your tractor.
    rtgt likes this.

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:58 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Claimdude View Post
    Thanks much for the quick responses but I bought the tractor and implements brand new at the same time from my local JD dealer. Why would they sell me a tractor and bush hog that has a PTO shaft too long for my tractor? Not saying that is not the problem but just doesn't make sense.
    Just because you bought them at the same time it doesn't mean they were setup to work together correctly. It's fairly routine to need to cut PTO shafts on implements to fit them to the particular machine you're using the implement on. Almost every PTO-driven implement covers the procedure in the owner's manual. Your dealer may very well have over looked doing that - especially if they didn't mount the cutter to the machine before delivering it to you.

Plus, with the bush hog attached to the iMatch the bush hog is positioned further away from the tractor than without so folks without the iMatch would even more of a problem.
    All that means is that they would have noticed an issue sooner.
    dieselshadow and rtgt like this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:12 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,126 Times in 798 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JimR View Post
    All that means is that they would have noticed an issue sooner.
    .....or grenaded the rear diff.

Pretty sure the PTO shaft is too long as well.

Your owners manual should cover checking the length as well as how to shorten it.

If there is any chance that you'll hook up to it without the I Match, I'd make the adjustment w/o the I Match.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    Taking the easy way is what makes rivers and men crooked.

3039R, H160 FEL, 375A Backhoe, Artillian Grapple & Forks
    Z915E
    XUV560

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:05 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,381 Times in 1,084 Posts
    just my 2 cts-ok. but look at ur safety covers over very carefully--if ur drive line is too long-it should have marks on the front safety shield where its being pushed forward-i would think- where the female joins the male side.

no other reason for the tractor side of drive line to shoved ahead on the pto splines like that-IMO.

back when i bought my frontier Rear Finish Mower---didn't have to cut the drive line on it. my JD lx4 -oh had to be cut-even to run with the i-match on tractor.

i think u got some measuring to do-and real soon or that front yoke is gonna be ruined-can't be good on them balls being forced forward. good luck-

lots of videos on u-tube on how to measure and cut -go check them out.
    rtgt and johnH123 like this.
    jim

2006 2520 mcut, 2004 x475, 1953 model 50, 1985 318-was my Dad's,
    king kutter tiller-60", frontier-stone rake, jd-4ft brush hog, frontier-6ft back-blade, frontier-forks, 48 inch forks,
    2-54inch jd snow plows, jd-5ft-pull brush hog,

2018 835R gas model gator-"aka" the Cadillac i say!! 6ft jd snow plow-which already has a dtac out on it. i got just about everything on it i could at the time

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:42 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,602 Times in 1,217 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Claimdude View Post
    Thanks much for the quick responses but I bought the tractor and implements brand new at the same time from my local JD dealer. Why would they sell me a tractor and bush hog that has a PTO shaft too long for my tractor? Not saying that is not the problem but just doesn't make sense. Plus, with the bush hog attached to the iMatch the bush hog is positioned further away from the tractor than without so folks without the iMatch would even more of a problem. Any other thoughts?

Thanks
    Jack
    Actually, it makes more sense than you might think. We're not saying this **IS** the problem but it very well COULD be the problem. PTO shafts don't come sized in specific lengths for certain tractors. They typically come in one standard length and then it is up to the operator to cut them to the correct length for the particular tractor / implement combination. So it certainly seems possible that the dealer just handed you the PTO shaft just the way it came out of the box.
    rtgt and BigJim55 like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks to all!! The need to adjust shaft length (measure first, etc) makes much more sense now. I may drop by my dealer today and see if they are interest in fitting the roatary cutter to my tractor at little to no charge since the sold me the stuff. Otherwise, to the owners manual and good ol utube.... thanks much!!!

Jack

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast