Heavy Hitch receiver draw bar with weight bracket question.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Heavy Hitch receiver draw bar with weight bracket question.

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    09-14-2019 @ 09:39 PM
    Thanks

Heavy Hitch receiver draw bar with weight bracket question.

I'm thinking of ordering a Heavy Hitch receiver draw bar with weight bracket for my 2025...so I can use some of my attachments I have, that are the pin and trailer ball type hookup. I have a nice York Rake, and a dump cart I still want to use. I'm sort of wishing I hadn't bought the weight box, and instead went with this hitch and some suitcase weights instead. Am I right in thinking that? Question about the hitch...do the suitcase weight just hang on the bracket?...or do they go on with a locking rod? I'm in the woods a lot, and would prefer not to have the weights sliding from side to side if possible. I dont have enough to fill the bracket completely....yet ;)

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:53 AM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,493 Times in 1,402 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MJFlores View Post
    I'm thinking of ordering a Heavy Hitch receiver draw bar with weight bracket for my 2025...so I can use some of my attachments I have, that are the pin and trailer ball type hookup. I have a nice York Rake, and a dump cart I still want to use. I'm sort of wishing I hadn't bought the weight box, and instead went with this hitch and some suitcase weights instead. Am I right in thinking that? Question about the hitch...do the suitcase weight just hang on the bracket?...or do they go on with a locking rod? I'm in the woods a lot, and would prefer not to have the weights sliding from side to side if possible. I dont have enough to fill the bracket completely....yet ;)
    Yes, the ballast box is a one purpose device where the weights have great flexibility and a wide range of practical uses, especially compared to the ballast box. Suitcase weights are the way to go for sure.

The suitcase weights have a rod which goes through the front edge and has spring clip pins on the end of the rods. The weights won't slide around much, if at all, if using the bar and pins to hold them. The main point is to keep them from coming off the top, which is very unlikely, but the weight of them on the bracket, they don't move much, if at all.

I hang the weights on various implements without any extra hold downs and never had a weight move, let alone bang around or come off.
    rtgt likes this.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

4. Top | #3
    EVT
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:48 PM
    Thanks

Heavy Hitch

I have the same weight bracket and use it for snow plowing. Never had an issue with the weights moving around or coming off. PLUS, you can get the front bracket and use the weights up there. Can't do that with the ballast box. Not that a ballast box is bad. I have both.
    Heavy Hitch makes a quality product.
    rtgt and PJR832 like this.
    2018 1025R, 120R FEL, 260B BH
    BXpanded Barracuda thumb, Quick-on connector, Ripper, Trench bucket, Piranha tooth bar
    iMatch 3pt. Quick Hitch
    JD 54 inch Quick Hitch Snow Blade
    Frontier AP10F Pallet Forks
    Frontier PHD-100 Post Hole Digger
    Frontier LR2060L Landscape Rake
    JD Ballast Box
    Titan BX42 Wood Chipper
    Heavy Hitch Receiver and Suitcase Weight Bracket, Front bracket
    Lots of stuff from Ken's Bolt on Hooks

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:50 PM
    Thanks
    Ditto EVT I have that same weight hanger/receiver and the front mount, as well. No regrets, though it is the most expensive form of ballast. I have 16*42 pound suitcase weights on each (I have two, one for each tractor/home.) A word of advise, get the cart that Heavy Hitch makes for it, also. In this manner, you don't have to remove the weights when mounting/dismounting from the 3-point. There is no type of retaining rod for the rear weight hanger/receiver that I'm aware of. It is partitioned from side to side. So if you install weights in multiples of four, you wouldn't have an issue with them sliding around. However, you'd have to be getting awfully aggressive to have them slide even if they were not hung in multiples of four.
    rtgt and PJR832 like this.
    2017 1025R TLB & 2017 1025R FEL
    2*54 Mower Decks w/Independent Lift
    2*47 Snow Blowers
    2*Cozy Cab
    2*Heavy Hitch Receiver Hitch w/Dual Suitcase Weight Brackets, Storage Cart, & 1*Front Suitcase Weight Bracket
    50" Wicked Root Grapple
    Land Pride LR1560 Land Rake w/ wide gauge wheels & plow blade
    BXpanded Backhoe Dolly
    MCS20 Leaf/clippings hopper
    647 Tiller
    2001 455 AWS & 1999 455 AWS--Both Sold

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:57 PM
    Thanks
    If you are looking at the one that I use there isn't a way to secure the weights other than gravity. While the OEM front weight bracket on my Z950R has long rods that pin the weights in place, the HH doesn't have holes for doing this. Just don't turn off gravity and you will be fine. If you fill up all the slots (8 weights) they really don't move. I only use 6 as that is what I have but I will use one of those black rubber bungee cords to hook them all together and they don't move at all. That way I don't have to listen to them rattling as much going over rough ground.

Here is the one I have.

https://heavyhitch.com/product/categ...3-point-hitch/

Since you have a bigger machine than my X585, You might want to consider the double row version. It isn't that much more and will allow you to add even more weight as needed.

https://heavyhitch.com/product/categ...oint-hitch-cp/

The one comment I will make about it in general is that it won't be an issue if you leave something in the 2" receiver all the time for instance I normally always have my trailer hitch with 2" ball since all my trailers use a 2" ball. If you are pulling this out to swap it a lot, it can be hard to reach the hitch pin for the 2" receiver with the weights in place. They do make an offset one with the single row which might help address being able to reach that hitch pin. Not sure. I will go with the bigger double row one if replacing my X585 with a bigger machine.

https://heavyhitch.com/product/categ...oint-hitch-cp/
    rtgt likes this.

JD Z950R 60" Deck with DFS Collection System

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 48" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, 3pt Sprayer

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:50 PM
    Thanks
    Just a word of caution, there is no down force with the 3-point. The only thing that holds it down is gravity. So when utilizing a dump cart connected to the receiver, when you dump the cart and the load transfers beyond the cart's center of gravity, the tongue, weight hanger/receiver, and 3-point arms will all come up to the stop of the 3-point arms suddenly. So using a dump cart on a 3-point drawbar can be rather cumbersome.

As you've probably experienced, the belly hitch plate is pretty close to the rear axle center line. This, in turn, creates clearance issues when backing or turning. This maybe why you are, in part, considering the weight hanger/receiver. I've just been living with it for the time being. However, on my next order to Heavy Hitch, I'm going to add Receiver Hitch Plate. This replaces the OEM belly plate. I'll then install a spud with just a drop pin hole. This should move the attaching point back further, resolving the cart clearance issues and making it easier to hook up.
    North585 and rtgt like this.
    2017 1025R TLB & 2017 1025R FEL
    2*54 Mower Decks w/Independent Lift
    2*47 Snow Blowers
    2*Cozy Cab
    2*Heavy Hitch Receiver Hitch w/Dual Suitcase Weight Brackets, Storage Cart, & 1*Front Suitcase Weight Bracket
    50" Wicked Root Grapple
    Land Pride LR1560 Land Rake w/ wide gauge wheels & plow blade
    BXpanded Backhoe Dolly
    MCS20 Leaf/clippings hopper
    647 Tiller
    2001 455 AWS & 1999 455 AWS--Both Sold

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    09-14-2019 @ 09:39 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by martincom View Post
    Just a word of caution, there is no down force with the 3-point. The only thing that holds it down is gravity. So when utilizing a dump cart connected to the receiver, when you dump the cart and the load transfers beyond the cart's center of gravity, the tongue, weight hanger/receiver, and 3-point arms will all come up to the stop of the 3-point arms suddenly. So using a dump cart on a 3-point drawbar can be rather cumbersome.

As you've probably experienced, the belly hitch plate is pretty close to the rear axle center line. This, in turn, creates clearance issues when backing or turning. This maybe why you are, in part, considering the weight hanger/receiver. I've just been living with it for the time being. However, on my next order to Heavy Hitch, I'm going to add Receiver Hitch Plate. This replaces the OEM belly plate. I'll then install a spud with just a drop pin hole. This should move the attaching point back further, resolving the cart clearance issues and making it easier to hook up.
    You're on to exactly what I was thinking! Good point about the three point hitch and gravity...a cart weighing more that the rear ballast could tip up pushing the arms to max. Hmmm. I wonder if I could just attach a clevis hook or receiver to the bottom of the ballast box...just to use the your rake...and scrap the cart idea and use the bucket for carrying firewood instead of the cart.
    Think the weight box is strong enough for this?

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:57 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MJFlores View Post
    You're on to exactly what I was thinking! Good point about the three point hitch and gravity...a cart weighing more that the rear ballast could tip up pushing the arms to max. Hmmm. I wonder if I could just attach a clevis hook or receiver to the bottom of the ballast box...just to use the your rake...and scrap the cart idea and use the bucket for carrying firewood instead of the cart.
    Think the weight box is strong enough for this?
    Unless you drove around with the 3pt hitch all the way up and used a drop hitch in the 2" receiver to get the cart level. The only thing I don't like about that idea is that it is better to pull a heavy cart from a connection point lower on the tractor or you could be doing wheelies like you are in a tractor pull.

Personally I move firewood with the FEL. If I am using a dump cart, I rarely (heck don't think I ever have) pull it with my tractor. It has been on my ATV or now we use a golf cart. The main thing I use that for is just picking up sticks to haul them down to the burn pile. If doing mulch or something big we have a tandem axle dump trailer but then I pull that with a truck close to the point of use then use the FEL to spread it. Can't use the FEL if the tractor with the FEL is also pulling the trailer. Though martincom is a lucky dog and has two 1025Rs.

JD Z950R 60" Deck with DFS Collection System

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 48" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, 3pt Sprayer

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:11 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,508 Times in 1,234 Posts
    It's been mentioned but it definitely worth mentioning again. Get the cart along with the HH weight bracket. I would probably use my weight bracket more if it weren't for putting the weights on and taking them back off every use. Live and learn I say, and I've learned that the cart is being ordered soon. Also, there is no rod on the weight bracket, but the weights never seem to go anywhere. Much like the front weight bracket a rollover is the only time I could ever see a weight coming out.
    rtgt and FortClatsop like this.
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    2025R W/120R FEL/Titan 36" Pallet Forks w/round bale spears/Ken's Bolt on Hooks / 72" moose plow / Kawasaki Mule(The Donkey) 610xc w/ Warn winch
    60D Auto Connect w/mulch kit and Gator G6 blades
    County Line- 48" Tiller & middle buster
    Frontier- BB5048L & DH1066 & RC2060
    JD iMATCH
    Homemade cultivator/hiller/chisel plow
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Watch the 2025R on YouTube:
    Elk Creek Acres

12. Top | #10
    glc
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:35 PM
    Thanks
    MJFlores, in answer to your question about a receiver hitch on a ballast box, the answer IMHO is most definitely yes. A a good idea for sure!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1521.JPG  
    Last edited by glc; 06-21-2019 at 03:15 PM.
    North585, rtgt, keane and 1 others like this.
    Greg from western pa

2009 2520
    FEL/61" HD bucket/replaceable cutting edge
    62D2 MMM
    IMatch Quick Hitch
    A "REAL" snow blade ---- JD 380A modded to fit
    Homemade 3PT Receiver
    Homemade Ballast Box
    Woods GB65 Box Blade

2019 JOHN DEERE X390 with 48" ACCEL DEEP DECK

MY 2520 SE SEAT MOD:

https://www.greentractortalk.com/for...d-for-the-2520