Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree92Likes

Thread: Getting water from the river to the garden

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:22 AM
    Thanks

Getting water from the river to the garden

So summer is heating up early, and its been pretty dry for the last few weeks. I'm starting to worry that the ever expanding garden is taking too much water from our well to keep going. We have a nice river along the back of our property, so I am thinking through options on using water from that for the garden. I have trails back to the river, but it does take a good 10+ minute drive in the 2038r to go from the garden to the river. So ideally I'd like to have enough water that I can fill a tank up once or twice a week and be able to water from that for the week. I do have 3 IBC totes that seem like they would work good. I use the pallet/cage for fire wood. I was thinking if I could find a wagon like https://www.countrymfg.com/farmers_wagon.htm I could mount 1 or maybe 2 of the totes to it, along with a 12v battery, solar panel, and 12v pump so I have pressure to spray the garden with. Then I'd need a higher volume transfer pump to use filling the tank(s).

The cheapest/simplest way would be to get another tote with the pallet/cage and just cary that in my forks to the river and back. While that would work, I'm not a huge fan of that for a couple reasons. First is a full tote can't be picked up by my tractor, so I'd need to only partially fill. Not a huge deal, but does mean I'll be having to go fill up at the river much more often. The other is the trail, its kinda steep and, carrying max load on the loader a couple times a week seems like it may be pushing my luck safety wise, and loader reliability wise.

Finding a cheep used trailer is easy, finding a cheep used wagon is impossible. A trailer seems more risky with that much weight on it. Balance would be critical for safety.

Transfer pumps seem to be mostly low flow. Electric ones typically seem to top out around 5.5 GPM (330 gal/hour), and with 1-2 totes that would take 1-2 hours to fill. You can step up to a transfer pump with a dedicated motor and get much better flow, but that's another engine to make sure is working. You can also get PTO transfer pumps, but so far those seem like way overkill both in GPM and cost.

The river is only maybe 2' below the bank where I can get the tractor, so I don't need a ton of head pressure for the transfer.

So what are your thoughts on the method of moving the tank, the tank choice, and transfer pump options?

2017 2038r, 220r loader, 72" MMM, 66" EA Box blade, Woodmax FM-62 flail mower, Artillian forks, JD KBL 6' 1950s discs, subsoiler
    OxPath and Herminator like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:39 AM
    Thanks
    just curious ........your really not talking about a lot of water.......why not fill your tanks at the house? ....we have a creek on our property and for water purposes i never fill water sprayers or transfer tanks from the river ....of course i am on a well ...

as far as "delivering" the water i would put tanks on a wagon or something high enough i could water via gravity and take pumps totally out of the mix....IE spend $ on wagon instead of pumps
    Last edited by ttazzman; 06-29-2019 at 10:57 AM.
    OxPath, Herminator, PJR832 and 1 others like this.
    John Deere
    5105M
    Caterpillar
    D4Hxl
    416C
    Gehl
    5635DX

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:02 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,463 Times in 1,197 Posts
    We use totes as well, but we also have a 2555 that can handle them on the forks. My FIL have a gas engine pump that pumps 40 gpm +/-. In your situation I would invest in a wagon and a transfer pump. As mentioned, the wagon gets them high enough to gravity feed. Most transfer pumps are low volume, but the time it takes is more in savings than a well pump or worse, running the well dry.
    OxPath, mark02tj and Herminator like this.
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    2025R W/120R FEL/Titan 36" Pallet Forks w/round bale spears/Ken's Bolt on Hooks / 72" moose plow / Kawasaki Mule(The Donkey) 610xc w/ Warn winch
    60D Auto Connect w/mulch kit and Gator G6 blades
    County Line- 48" Tiller & middle buster
    Frontier- BB5048L & DH1066 & RC2060
    JD iMATCH
    Homemade cultivator/hiller/chisel plow
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Watch the 2025R on YouTube:
    Elk Creek Acres

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:15 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,018 Times in 2,185 Posts
    I agree with Pat - a wagon and small transfer pump.

I know I could find many other uses for a wagon like that. Levi bought one a couple years ago and seems he uses just about every day for one thing or another.

I didnít look at the details of the wagon link you posted but most of them dump. To have a mini dump truck around for hauling stone, dirt, debris etc. would be great around here. The ability to unhook, load it, and hook it back up to haul and dump would be the ticket for me.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ttazzman View Post
    just curious ........your really not talking about a lot of water.......why not fill your tanks at the house? ....we have a creek on our property and for water purposes i never fill water sprayers or transfer tanks from the river ....of course i am on a well ...

as far as "delivering" the water i would put tanks on a wagon or something high enough i could water via gravity and take pumps totally out of the mix....IE spend $ on wagon instead of pumps
    The garden is right next to the house. So I can/do water it from the house's water hose. But that is run off of my well. I don't want to risk running the well dry. It is already supplying my house plus a "guest" house, where the guests are perminate.

2017 2038r, 220r loader, 72" MMM, 66" EA Box blade, Woodmax FM-62 flail mower, Artillian forks, JD KBL 6' 1950s discs, subsoiler
    OxPath, Herminator and ttazzman like this.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    I agree with Pat - a wagon and small transfer pump.

I know I could find many other uses for a wagon like that. Levi bought one a couple years ago and seems he uses just about every day for one thing or another.

I didnít look at the details of the wagon link you posted but most of them dump. To have a mini dump truck around for hauling stone, dirt, debris etc. would be great around here. The ability to unhook, load it, and hook it back up to haul and dump would be the ticket for me.
    I had been thinking the wagon would be used solely for moving the water transfer system. But I guess I could set it up in a way I use it for the water in the summer, then remove the tanks/pumps and can use it for other stuff in the winter. That does make the expense of a new wagon more stomachable. Yes that one I linked to does have dumping ability. You just need to bring your own hydraulic cylinder, and I do have rear remotes...

OxPath and Herminator like this.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:15 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,018 Times in 2,185 Posts
    In case you havenít seen it, here is Leviís original thread about his wagon.

Wagon, not trailer
    Herminator and PJR832 like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:11 AM
    West of Carlisle PA, At the base of the Mountains
    Thanks
    I like the wagon idea as well. It youíre talking a lot of weight in two of those totes if itís what I think it is.

275 gallons each tote is. 550 gallons.

Water weighs 8.34 pounds per gallon
    Thatís almost 4600 pounds. Plus the weight of the wagon.

Youíre going to need a pretty substantial wagon to haul that.

Iíd then get a gas powered trash pump to fill them.

Old farm wagons can be had pretty cheap. And you could modify one to suit your purpose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    OxPath, Herminator and PJR832 like this.
    1998 955, 70A Loader, 54 Blade, 72 Deck
    1995 F525
    1957 Farmall Cub - Technically belongs to my son.

If it ain't broke, You're not trying. - Red Green

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:12 AM
    Thanks
    Have you looked into building a hydraulic ram pump?
    DIY Water Pump That Uses No Electricity -Ram Pump- - YouTube
    How To Build A Hydraulic Ram Pump pt2 - YouTube

If that creek has a decent slope along your property, it would be simple to do, and youd have all the water you needed without any regular trips down to the creek except maintenance.
    Jim B.

318, 49 Thrower, 2 80 Carts, 17AT cart, 54 Blade, 12" Brinly Plow, 30 Hydraulic Tiller w/extension & Briney 3-Pt hitch, 50 deck w/JRCO Cart Bagger.
    2025R, 120R loader w/Kens Bolt On Hooks, 260B backhoe w/8" & 16" buckets, Titan 36" forks, Imatch hitch, Weight Bracket/Hitch.

Exmark Lazer Z HP 52"
    Husqvarna 550XP, 562XP, 55 Rancher

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by J3 Driver View Post
    I like the wagon idea as well. It youíre talking a lot of weight in two of those totes if itís what I think it is.

275 gallons each tote is. 550 gallons.

Water weighs 8.34 pounds per gallon
    Thatís almost 4600 pounds. Plus the weight of the wagon.

Youíre going to need a pretty substantial wagon to haul that.

Iíd then get a gas powered trash pump to fill them.

Old farm wagons can be had pretty cheap. And you could modify one to suit your purpose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Yeah those are the tanks. Iíd like two but realize I may only be able to do one.

So far I havenít found any farm wagons on Craigís list. Where else would you recommend looking for them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2017 2038r 72Ē MMM Command Cut 220r loader
    Herminator and PJR832 like this.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast