Wondering about my new Heavy Hitch Middle Buster/subsolier...
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Wondering about my new Heavy Hitch Middle Buster/subsolier...

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    09-08-2019 @ 10:17 PM
    Thanks

So wondering what should I’ve gotten with my HH Middle Buster & subsolier. Tim’s video shows a hitch pin & a shear bolt. Mine came with two shear bolts and no hitch pin. Should I’ve gotten a hitch pin & the other bolt is a spare, or are they shipping these with two bolts these days?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 08:18 AM
    Thanks
    Do you have the super duty Heavy Hitch? I made the mistake of using a standard duty HH with the subsoiler and I cracked the HH receiver tube. There was a stump that was covered with dirt and we were probably pushing it a little too hard. The 5/8" sheer bolts weren't even marked. So then I ordered the super-duty HH and to make sure the bolts sheer before I hurt anything, I've actually replaced them with a 3/8" Grade 3 bolt. It has some movement to it, but I feel more confident that I will sheer the bolt before I bust something that matters. I've yet to sheer that bolt.

I was surprised that in one of Tim's videos he sheered the 5/8" bolt fairly quickly.
    Tractor Tim likes this.
    2025R Gen 2
    60D MMM and 120R FEL
    Z535R
    Frontier RT1149 Tiller
    Frontier CA2048E Aerator
    Frontier BB2048L Box Blade
    Artillian Diverter
    EA Wicked 55" Grapple
    Heavy Hitch Front/Rear weight bracket
    Incredibly supportive wife (items not listed in priority order)

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    09-08-2019 @ 10:17 PM
    Thanks
    So are you using one bolt & one pin, or two bolts?

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Today @ 01:02 AM
    Thanks

Grade 3 bolt?

What is a grade 3 bolt?
    A grade 5 has 3 marks on it
    2017 2038R, 220R loader, AF12 pallet forks, 6 60# wheel weights, ballast box, Dual Rear SCVs, Premium LED lighting kit

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Today @ 08:18 AM
    Thanks
    A grade 3 bolt won't have marks on the head as far as I know. I picked mine up at Menards, they just had a small section of Grade 3. Most were grade 5 and 8. I was using a 5/8" pin in the top hole and that grade 3 bolt in the bottom, thinking when the shear pin goes it would just pivot up. I'm not sure if that is the best approach or not but I think that was what TTWT was using so that's just the way I did it. The subsoiler worked great for what I needed. I had clear some areas of brush that had lots of vines. The roots were thick and I wanted to rip that stuff up before I tilled it. Worked great for that purpose.
    2025R Gen 2
    60D MMM and 120R FEL
    Z535R
    Frontier RT1149 Tiller
    Frontier CA2048E Aerator
    Frontier BB2048L Box Blade
    Artillian Diverter
    EA Wicked 55" Grapple
    Heavy Hitch Front/Rear weight bracket
    Incredibly supportive wife (items not listed in priority order)

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:04 AM
    Thanks
    Used mine once...( not hh brand but similar). cheated and bought a mini Excavater for further use.

I repurposed mine by welding a reciever hitch tube to a chunk of 1/2" x 6" flatbar. I just pin that into the holes where the ripper was mounted.

Also use it with a 5'x8' homemade landplane drag thing.....I run a 6' chunk of 2x2 square tube in the receiver with chains hanging down to the drag so I can lift it for multiple passes in the same area or just to travel from place to place on my land.
    Dan

JD 955 ,70A loader, 60" mmm , Original I-match ,4' woods B hog , 5' Box blade , 12' orchard plane/driveway grader ,various other doo-dads & homebuilt implements. Goossen BFBlower, JakeRake..this thing is different.
    Kubota U-15
    Kubota RTV 900

47 8n......good times..V8 in my future possibly

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Today @ 06:47 AM
    Thanks

Bolt Grades

A little off topic here, but it can be informative, yet confusing!

Back in the 60's, life was simple. Most fasteners where made to an SAE standard and the head of the bolt was used to identify the strength of the bolt. Pretty simple, back then, just add 2 to the number of lines on the head. No lines, add 2: Grade 2, 3 lines, add 2: Grade 5, 6 lines, add 2: Grade 8. And then in the 80's, ASTM wanted to have and use their own markings. These are a letter, followed my 3 numbers and sometimes lines, depending on the "type"...ASTM has both "Grades" and "Types" of bolts! ASTM marks bolts based on material primarily. One group has the same strength, yet 3 materials and 3 markings! These ASTM bolts are equivalent to an SAE GR 5: Stamped "A325" and no lines, stamped "A325" and 3 lines 60 apart, stamped "A325" and 3 lines 120 apart. Theese are made to ASTM A325, but then there's ASTM 354 and ASTM 490...all with different markings!

And then there are the nuts! I found 6 different standards with 6 different markings.

OK, Menards. I'd be REAL tempted to challenge them! In any searches I've done, I've never found a "Grade 3" fastener. ASTM has a "Type 3" and that's as close as I've come to something with a 3. ASTM's Type 3 is equivalent to SAE Grade 5 and stamped as shown above.

Bottom line here is know what you need and then verify you bought what you needed! Bob
    rtgt likes this.
    '80 317 w/18hp B&S and divert valve for rear hydraulics, 3 pt hitch, 5' york rake
    '82 314 w/rear PTO for tiller
    33 tiller
    49 thrower
    54 4 way blade
    Mod 48 deck & Mod 462 TracVac

10. The Following User Says Thank You to rwmeyer For This Useful Post:

rtgt(07-01-2019)

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:38 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,127 Times in 798 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rwmeyer View Post
    A little off topic here, but it can be informative, yet confusing!

Back in the 60's, life was simple. Most fasteners where made to an SAE standard and the head of the bolt was used to identify the strength of the bolt. Pretty simple, back then, just add 2 to the number of lines on the head. No lines, add 2: Grade 2, 3 lines, add 2: Grade 5, 6 lines, add 2: Grade 8. And then in the 80's,

Bottom line here is know what you need and then verify you bought what you needed! Bob
    And somewhere in between we should have neutered all of the politicians and engineers.....

When it comes to buy a bolt that "matters" like a shear bolt, I will only buy one in a manufacturers package with the grade, type, hardness, etc marked on it.

The grab bins at he box stores are kind of a crap shoot.
    Taking the easy way is what makes rivers and men crooked.

3039R, H160 FEL, 375A Backhoe, Artillian Grapple & Forks
    Z915E
    XUV560

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:24 PM
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stevenmc001 View Post
    A grade 3 bolt won't have marks on the head as far as I know. I picked mine up at Menards, they just had a small section of Grade 3. Most were grade 5 and 8. I was using a 5/8" pin in the top hole and that grade 3 bolt in the bottom, thinking when the shear pin goes it would just pivot up. I'm not sure if that is the best approach or not but I think that was what TTWT was using so that's just the way I did it. The subsoiler worked great for what I needed. I had clear some areas of brush that had lots of vines. The roots were thick and I wanted to rip that stuff up before I tilled it. Worked great for that purpose.
    Steve,

It is Grade 2 rather than Grade 3.

Others:

It took 8 words to correct Steves error in terminology. No big deal. We all make mistakes.

Tim
    rtgt likes this.
    (See Tractor Time with Tim's main YouTube channel page)
    Tractor Time with Tim Web site
    Owned:
    2018 Deere 1025R

Sponsored (subsidized, loaner, etc):
    Ventrac 4500
    Case CX37C
    Deere 5075e
    Deere 2038r
    Deere Gator 835M HVAC

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:38 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,127 Times in 798 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tractor Tim View Post
    Steve,

It is Grade 2 rather than Grade 3.

Others:

It took 8 words to correct Steves error in terminology. No big deal. We all make mistakes.

Tim
    But you only used 7 words and 2 numbers.....

I did find the write up of the different bolt standards interesting though.

I learned a valuable lesson when I bought what I thought were grade 5 bolts from a box store bin. After bending one of the augers in my snowblower because the bolt didn't shear I learned that not all grade 5 bolts are the same.

So as far as shear bolts go, I want them in a manufacturers package so I know what I am getting.

And even though the blower came with grade 5 shear bolts, I ended up going with Grade 2 after that.
    Tractor Tim likes this.
    Taking the easy way is what makes rivers and men crooked.

3039R, H160 FEL, 375A Backhoe, Artillian Grapple & Forks
    Z915E
    XUV560

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast