Is a 375a backhoe strong enough to break concrete

Thread: Is a 375a backhoe strong enough to break concrete

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    09-09-2019 @ 08:53 AM
    Thanks

Is a 375a backhoe strong enough to break concrete

I have a 3033R with a 375A backhoe. I may need to break up some concrete around a swimming pool and was wondering if anyone has used this size backhoe to lift and drop concrete? I used to have a JD 260 skidsteer that had no problem breaking up driveways but that was a much larger and heavier machine. My guess is the concrete I need to remove is no more than 4" thick and about 5' wide. The strategy is to pull up on a corner and drop it and let its own weight break it into smaller and manageable pieces.

Also, anyone have any recommendations for a mechanical thumb? Either bolt on or weld on. I have a lot of fence posts and stumps to remove over the next few years and a thumb on the hoe would make a world of difference.

Thanks,
    Bruce

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:52 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 994 Posts
    You might be getting into a time consuming operation. Thickness, weight, and size are all variables. You could try it but I'd first want to cut the concrete into manageable sections. A gasoline powered rental saw would be my first thought. You shouldn't have to cut through the slab but halfway through should allow you gain some progress. Don't forget that you'll need to fit those sections into the loader for removal.
    John Deere 3320
    eHydro, R4's, 300CX Loader, 61" HD Bucket
    JD Tooth Bar, Deluxe Hood Guard, Ken's Bolt-on Hooks
    485 Backhoe w. 18" HD Bucket
    Mid-PTO, Front 3 Point Hitch, 366 Front Blade
    Tarter 5' 3PH Tiller
    Frontier AP12F Forks

John Deere 2032R
    R3's, 220R Loader, 57" HD Bucket
    Curtis Hard Side Cab & Heater
    62D Deck, iMatch Quick Hitch
    54 Snowblower
    Super HeavyHitch
    Little Wonder "Optimax" & JRCO Blower Buggy
    Fimco 60 Gallon 3PH Boomless Sprayer w. PTO Pump

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:03 AM
    Thanks
    Depends on how thick the concrete is and if it is reinforced. The best way to demo concrete with a hoe is to flip it up and over onto the other concrete. I’d recommend a breaker though. Pool decks have pipes and conduits running under them so be careful. It also might have a thickened edge by the pool, so be careful not to damage the coping. You can rent an electric jackhammer ( get a 60 lb. Hilti) from Home Depot rental for pretty cheap. Also, if you can get it to pull up on the corner, a well placed smack with a sledgehammer works wonders. Are you replacing this concrete or just demoing the whole pool?

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:30 PM
    Thanks
    Rent a jackhammer, then go at it with the hoe.

3025e 60" bucket with parking stand kit, Ken's hooks, quick hitch, finish mower, brush hog, tiller, back blade, scoop, forks, Edge Tamers, weight bracket w/ trailer mover
    Z915B
    GT 245
    X500
    Bolens MTD GTH garden tractor (Dad's old machine)
    20' double axle trailer
    Previous - 2305, 2025R, Z720A, couple other zero turns

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    09-19-2019 @ 07:02 PM
    Thanks
    Any BH strong enough to lift the slabs is “strong enough “ to break them-as you said dropping them is really what breaks the slab-it’s own weight falling against a solid surface does it. I’d have to think your 375 is big and quick enough to pick a slab up and get it to a height then let go quickly and shatter the slabs on impact. The issue is if the walk is already broken up into liftable pieces or if it’s all monolith still-I’m not sure a 375 will lift 6-8 5’ wide x 4-5’ long slabs- if they’re all still in tact then you may have to saw or pre break them some.

My question would be is if they’re already fractured, sawn or otherwise made into 4-5’ square slabs, why wouldn’t you just pick them up with the loader while and dumpster them? Breaking them up while making the pieces smaller and easier to man handle is very messy, labor intensive and tedious the more in tact they are the easier to move and dump, assuming your machine can handle them as is.
    2004-L130

2013-2032r, Curtis Hard side cab (project), H130 FEL & 61"bucket, Artillian Modular Grapple on HD frame with Diverter, 2300# Artillian frame w/ 36" x 3" tines, 46BH 9" & 13" bucket, Frontier RB1060, HLA 1000 series 60" JDQA Snow plow, JD ballast box, RK QH, Homemade 3pt multi purpose hitch, 117W of extra LED lights on ROPS and side Brush guards, Ken's bolt on hooks-3x, Ideal Knife grooved R-4's.

8. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements