Green Tractor Talk banner

Home brew work platform for forks on 4066r

3K views 24 replies 8 participants last post by  coaltrain 
#1 · (Edited)
Decided to make a work platform for forks out of 2 X 4's and a sheet of 5/8" plywood.

Yes I understand this is a *no-no* safety wise, but intend on going no higher than 5 feet.

Figure that's safer than me on a ladder with a pole saw.

Used Valspar sealer/stain instead of paint on wood, 2 coats on all wood, 3 coats on plywood edges.

All connections use snap lock pins, no tools needed.

Plywood comes off of frame easily 4 hand tight 5/8" bolts, plywood weighs around 50 LBS, frame weighs approx. 50 LBS,
each manageable separately by me.

Total cost approx. $110.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Looks good. I'd be inclined to put some kind of railing around it. I found with the one we were using for the new shop the rail was a reminder you were at the edge. The front was open. I was concerned that as we were working we would be watching what we were doing and not looking for the edge. I cut a board to put across the opening so we would bump it before that last step was dooooowwwwwwnnnnnnnn.

#5 ·
Thought about a rail of some type, still thinking about it.
Have used it several times, I always stay in the center of the 4' X 8' platform when using the pole saw.
I don't go higher than 5 ' which gives me an easy reach of 19 - 20 feet with the pole saw.

Looks great. I like it. I had an old rivet boat that leaked like a sieve and decided to apply that Line X stuff to keep it to a dull roar. Not only did it seal the heck out of it, but it gave me more traction climbing in and out. Maybe put a non slip coating on it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Left the plywood unsanded, the sealer I used really was absorbed into the wood and left the plywood naturally rough.
Thought of sprinkling sand on the last coat while it was still wet, but decided it wasn't needed.
The finish is not slippery at all.

#3 ·
Looks good :bigthumb:

#4 ·
Looks great. I like it. I had an old rivet boat that leaked like a sieve and decided to apply that Line X stuff to keep it to a dull roar. Not only did it seal the heck out of it, but it gave me more traction climbing in and out. Maybe put a non slip coating on it

#8 ·
The real benefit to the size here OC is you can stretch out and take a nap when you get tired. Who would know? :lol:
Nice job. :thumbup1gif:
When my wise a$$ cousin came over walking her dog, she asked, "Why so big?"

Told her if some disco music came on the stereo in the cab I might decide to put down the pole saw and do
a little dancing, need lots of room for my moves.

She rolled her eyes and walked away shaking her head and laughing, I get that a lot from the wimmins folk. :lol:

#12 ·
I have a work platform pieces all together but never put it together.

My reason? I can’t figure out how to lift myself. I can’t be at the tractor controls and on the platform at the same time.

After reading your thread here I thought of you making a remote for the loader control like you did for your backhoe.

#13 ·
Nope, I lift it to a max of 5 feet, have my little 5 foot aluminum ladder I climb up on using the fork side as a hand rail.

Tie off the ladder to the forks with a bungie cord to make sure it doesn't fall over.
It'll blow over pretty easy with wind and I would be up crap creek without a paddle.

Use several bungie cords to secure ladder and pole saw to platform while moving from tree to tree.

I wouldn't trust anyone, including myself, manipulating the loader controls while I'm up there.

#17 ·
#21 ·
Nice purple shorts

#23 ·
This is what I have so far. This was actually made to fit on a pallet - am guessing it was used to hold small packages. There are 4 sides that lock together.

I don’t even remember where I got them - have has them for around 30 years I guess. I used to pick up stuff like this for making pig corals and puppy corals.

I was going to put a solid piece of plywood on for the floor and fasten the sides to the pallet somehow. The only thing I haven’t figured out yet is how to get in. I guess I could hinge one of the panels.

Tree Compost Wood Plant Forest

Green Leaf Tree Grass Plant

Tree Plant Leaf Plant stem Wood

#24 ·
Looks like the bionic apple crate

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.