Like Tree158Likes

Thread: Home brew work platform for forks on 4066r

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:33 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,318 Times in 973 Posts

Home brew work platform for forks on 4066r

Decided to make a work platform for forks out of 2 X 4's and a sheet of 5/8" plywood.

Yes I understand this is a *no-no* safety wise, but intend on going no higher than 5 feet.

Figure that's safer than me on a ladder with a pole saw.

Used Valspar sealer/stain instead of paint on wood, 2 coats on all wood, 3 coats on plywood edges.

All connections use snap lock pins, no tools needed.

Plywood comes off of frame easily 4 hand tight 5/8" bolts, plywood weighs around 50 LBS, frame weighs approx. 50 LBS,
    each manageable separately by me.

Total cost approx. $110.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails platform 1.jpg   platform 2.jpg   platform 3.jpg   platform 4.jpg   platform 5.jpg  

platform 6.jpg   platform 7.jpg   platform 8.jpg   platform 9.jpg  
    Last edited by Old Cajun; 07-05-2019 at 10:39 PM.
    mjncad, glc, Gizmo2 and 15 others like this.
    Neil

2019 4066R with cab (aka Cooterpiller), 2014 997 Z Trak
    Other equip: 1982 IH 274 diesel, 1957 Farmall Cub, Woods Billy Goat 5 foot rotary cutter, Ford three point hitch 6 foot dozer blade,
    home brew dirt and gravel grader, dirt scoop, choppers, Woods six foot belly mount sickle bar, home brew 3PH 25 gallon sprayer, 1992 33 inch cut Snapper
    rear engine rider, 1984 30 inch cut Snapper rear engine rider.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:29 PM
    Thanks
    Looks good. I'd be inclined to put some kind of railing around it. I found with the one we were using for the new shop the rail was a reminder you were at the edge. The front was open. I was concerned that as we were working we would be watching what we were doing and not looking for the edge. I cut a board to put across the opening so we would bump it before that last step was dooooowwwwwwnnnnnnnn.
    mjncad, glc, Gizmo2 and 9 others like this.
    Mike

Sometimes I'm only funny to myself.

300, 140, 318, 430, 314, 110. Brinly plows, disk, 80 cart, couple of 49 blowers, 3 54 blades, 33 tiller, tilt dump MCS, HPX Gator, CS Gator, Model A. Struck MD 750 w/bucket and hoe.
    Drew's Performance: We screwed the last guy so we can pass the savings on to you.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 12:53 PM
    Thanks
    Looks good
    LGM= Little Green Machine!!
    2018 2025TLB

BB2048L Box blade.
    Imatch quick hitch
    AV20F grapple
    Artillian diverter kit
    3pt tractor receiver hitch
    LR2060L Landscape Rake
    LP1060L Land Plane
    Homemade quick attach forks . http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...uild-soon.html
    *Please Lord give me the strength to add to this list when my wife isn’t paying attention*

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:59 AM
    Thanks
    Looks great. I like it. I had an old rivet boat that leaked like a sieve and decided to apply that Line X stuff to keep it to a dull roar. Not only did it seal the heck out of it, but it gave me more traction climbing in and out. Maybe put a non slip coating on it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    mjncad, OxPath, BigJim55 and 3 others like this.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MDrew View Post
    Looks good. I'd be inclined to put some kind of railing around it. I found with the one we were using for the new shop the rail was a reminder you were at the edge. The front was open. I was concerned that as we were working we would be watching what we were doing and not looking for the edge. I cut a board to put across the opening so we would bump it before that last step was dooooowwwwwwnnnnnnnn.
    Thought about a rail of some type, still thinking about it.
    Have used it several times, I always stay in the center of the 4' X 8' platform when using the pole saw.
    I don't go higher than 5 ' which gives me an easy reach of 19 - 20 feet with the pole saw.

Quote Originally Posted by Kbar View Post
    Looks great. I like it. I had an old rivet boat that leaked like a sieve and decided to apply that Line X stuff to keep it to a dull roar. Not only did it seal the heck out of it, but it gave me more traction climbing in and out. Maybe put a non slip coating on it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Left the plywood unsanded, the sealer I used really was absorbed into the wood and left the plywood naturally rough.
    Thought of sprinkling sand on the last coat while it was still wet, but decided it wasn't needed.
    The finish is not slippery at all.
    mjncad, glc, Gizmo2 and 6 others like this.
    Neil

Other equip: 1982 IH 274 diesel, 1957 Farmall Cub, Woods Billy Goat 5 foot rotary cutter, Ford three point hitch 6 foot dozer blade,
    home brew dirt and gravel grader, dirt scoop, choppers, Woods six foot belly mount sickle bar, home brew 3PH 25 gallon sprayer, 1992 33 inch cut Snapper

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Today @ 07:01 AM
    Thanks

Nice job

Quote Originally Posted by Old Cajun View Post
    Thought about a rail of some type, still thinking about it.
    Have used it several times, I always stay in the center of the 4' X 8' platform when using the pole saw.
    I don't go higher than 5 ' which gives me an easy reach of 19 - 20 feet with the pole saw.

Left the plywood unsanded, the sealer I used really was absorbed into the wood and left the plywood naturally rough.
    Thought of sprinkling sand on the last coat while it was still wet, but decided it wasn't needed.
    The finish is not slippery at all.
    It looks like you carefully thought through some major safety issues with the attachment, might as well finish by having a railing. Then the only real danger would be a broken hose on the FEL or operator error. A strong railing would even help with those issues as it would give something to grab onto.

I used to be able to hang on to something by one hand if needed, now a railing would be a great comfort to me. For some reason, I have a lot of faith that gravity always works and also that I won't bounce like I used to. Even a 5' fall would be unwelcome.

Treefarmer
    BigJim55, keane, Old Cajun and 2 others like this.
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

9. Top | #7
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:34 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,948 Times in 2,911 Posts
    The real benefit to the size here OC is you can stretch out and take a nap when you get tired. Who would know?
    Nice job.
    glc, DRobinson, OxPath and 6 others like this.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    The real benefit to the size here OC is you can stretch out and take a nap when you get tired. Who would know?
    Nice job.
    When my wise a$$ cousin came over walking her dog, she asked, "Why so big?"

Told her if some disco music came on the stereo in the cab I might decide to put down the pole saw and do
    a little dancing, need lots of room for my moves.

She rolled her eyes and walked away shaking her head and laughing, I get that a lot from the wimmins folk.
    glc, Gizmo2, DRobinson and 7 others like this.
    Neil

11. Top | #9
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:34 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,948 Times in 2,911 Posts

Told her if some disco music came on the stereo in the cab I might decide to put down the pole saw and do

She rolled her eyes and walked away shaking her head and laughing, I get that a lot from the wimmins folk.
    You and I would make a great tag team.
    glc, DRobinson, OxPath and 3 others like this.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Today @ 08:49 AM
    New hampshire,"The Granite State": where we grow rocks
    Thanks

If you didn't put the pole saw down would you be pole dancing

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Kennyd, glc, Gizmo2 and 7 others like this.
    Roger O
    1025R SCUT
    120R LOADER
    260B BACKHOE
    54D MMM w/ AUTO CONNECT

WISHLIST
    I WANT IT ALL

SSG US army 6yr 3mo 10d
    Work hard, retire, work harder

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Rogero246 For This Useful Post:

MDrew (07-06-2019)

14. Remove Advertisements