Suitcase Weights > 42Lb or 70Lb??
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree105Likes

Thread: Suitcase Weights > 42Lb or 70Lb??

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:47 PM
    Thanks

Suitcase Weights > 42Lb or 70Lb??

We live north of Colorado Springs, Colorado - At 7,500' - On 5 acres of sloped, ponderosa pine, forested land.
    3-1/2+ acres is "open" - That is, it's cleared of brush/foliage, except for the trees. I cut the 3-1/2 acres 6-8 times a year - Depending on the precipitation/growth.
    As well... Annually... Trees/limbs fall. Chipping up the foliage/smaller stuff - I cut up the trunks/bigger limbs - And take 'em up to the road -
    Where neighbors gladly take 'em for firewood (ironically, we have gas fire places).

Our 3 car garage has a concrete pad in front of it - With an adjoining 130'+ single lane asphalt driveway - Leading uphill to the road.
    From OCT-MAY - We regularly get snow falls - Of 8"-20" and more.

Turning 71 this year - And with a back suffering from way too many helicopter and armored personal carrier "exits" (22 years in the U.S. Army) -
    I decided it was time to sell my garden tractor and walk behind snow blower. I'm now the proud new owner of the following:
    John Deere: 2019 1025R SCUT, 120R Front End Loader, 54D Mid-Mount Side Discharge Mower, 54-Inch Quick Hitch Blade | Heavy Hitch: 53-Inch Bucket Tooth Bar -
    And an assortment of other KBOGH and Heavy Hitch accessories.

Given the slope of our property and driveway - I tell you all of the above - To ask for your expertise and advice.
    I realize that I need some REAR ballast - When using the FEL on our property - And when using the 54-Inch Quick Hitch Blade to clear our pad/driveway.
    I'm not particularly a "fan" of ballast boxes/wheel weights/filled tires - So... I've decided to use SUITCASE WEIGHTS.

FIRST QUESTION:
    I'm going to buy a Heavy Hitch 3 Point Hitch Receiver Drawbar With Suitcase Weight Bracket. Question is - Which one to buy?
    HH1U0-B? - With a SINGLE Offset Weight Bracket: https://heavyhitch.com/product/categ...oint-hitch-cp/
    Or
    HH1DB-B - With a DUEL Offset Weight Bracket: https://heavyhitch.com/product/categ...oint-hitch-cp/

SECOND QUESTION: WHICH SIZE SUITCASE WEIGHTS TO BUY?
    42 Pound? - John Deere Part #R66949
    Or
    70 Pound? John Deere Part #BM19780

WHY?
    Your expertise and advice are greatly appreciated.
    Thanks ahead, Joe
    Last edited by JFelchlin; 07-08-2019 at 10:15 AM.
    rtgt, SulleyBear and bvbearcat like this.
    John Deere: 2019 1025R SCUT, 120R FEL, 54D MMM, 54Ē Quick Hitch Blade, 16 42LB Suitcase Weights, Engine Coolant Heater Kit, Block Heater Adapter | Heavy Hitch: 53-Inch Bucket Tooth Bar, Dual Suitcase Weight Bracket and Cart, Rear Receiver Hitch Plate, 3in1 Trailer Tow Hitch | KBOGH: XL Backing Plate, 3 Grab Hook/Clevis Combo Sets, 3 1/2" Screw Pin Shackles, 6" Drop Tractor Step, Differential Lock Pedal Extension, Seat Spring Upgrade Set. LARRYís: Mower Deck Axle Kit

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    09-15-2019 @ 10:21 PM
    Thanks
    My opinion would be to buy the heavy duty HH where you can add 16 42# weights. I have the one that holds 8 and after a year I wish I had bought the other one. I would also suggest 42# weights. Every day we grow older and who knows how well you could handle 70# weights at 85 years old. You could start out with the 8 weights and see how you like it. If you decide you want more you would have the hitch to accommodate them. You would also have time to maybe find additional used weights on Craigslist or from another source.

Where you live and with the amount of snow you get I would think you might want to consider a cab or weather enclosure. Iím the same age as you are and live in Wisconsin so we usually donít get as much snow as Colorado but the Mauser cab with heat is awesome. I know itís expensive but donít wait until your 80 years old to make your frequent chores less physically demanding. I plowed with a x728 and a 54Ē plow for many years but that -50F or more Wind chill is just not something I want to brave unnecessarily. If possible I would suggest a bigger plow. I have an FEL 66Ē plow and the extra 12Ē makes a big difference on how long it takes to get the job done.

If you do get some kind of cab be very cautious about how it will change your center of gravity. While the cab is great for plowing cutting the grass on my sloped areas along the sides of my house was a scary endeavor. Never a problem before the cab. To increase safety I added 1.4Ē rear spacers and 200# of wheel weights. The tractor still has a higher center of gravity than before the cab was installed but Iím no longer concerned I might tip it over.

Good Luck!
    Tomfive, rtgt, SulleyBear and 4 others like this.
    2018 John Deere 1025r, Mauser cab, rear wiper, rear light, FEL, Piranah tooth bar, Heavy Hitch weight bar, 8 suitcase weights, 55 amp alternator, Kens hooks and seat springs, 54Ē MMM, 66Ē Loader mounted CTA plow, Artillian 3d function diverter kit. New Green equipment =less green in investments

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:26 AM
    Thanks
    Have you read this thread on ballast?
    What is "Rear Ballast"? And why do you need it?

That should help with your decision. I use a box blade for ballast when doing light loader work, but plan to hang more weight from it for heavier jobs.
    rtgt, JD4044M and FortClatsop like this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:22 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,061 Times in 2,226 Posts
    I agree with Sportshot2 on both the hitch and weights.

Having the option to use more weights is good. That doesnít mean you have to but nice to have the option.

42# weights. I have a nasty cast of RA and lifting the 42# weights is a serious challenge. I would never be able to handle the 75#.

Also - Iím not sure of the configuration of the 1 series but on my 2 series I routinely use the 42# weights on the front of the tractor (with an extended weight bracket) which holds 7 weights. You canít use 75# weights on the front without a serious custom made bracket.

When I use my brush hog I usually remove the loader. Reason being is I am in the woods and on a good slope. The setup with the brush hog with loader on is way too long for me to navigate. So I remove the loader and use the 7 42# weights on the front. The tractor is actually much more stable that way than with the loader on.

And another note - if you are going to order from Heavy Hitch and you donít yet have your suitcase weights, talk to Greg (owner) about the weights. He can make you a decent deal and ship them through Fastenall. All in all a great deal if you are buying multiple weights.
    Tomfive, rtgt, Treefarmer and 2 others like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:16 PM
    Thanks
    I have the dual HH weight bracket on my 1025r and wouldnít be without it. I have eight 42lb weights and eight 70lb weights. For ballast I use the 70 pounders and usually six of the 42 ponders. Occasionally I will use all 16 weights. The 42 pounders fit on the front of my 1025r with the extended weight bracket from John Deere. For Fathers Day my wife and kids gave me the Heavy Hitch front weight bracket, which can hold eight of the 42 pound weights or the 70 pound weights on the front.

Iím 45 and lifting the 70 pound weights is not much fun for me so I canít imagine being 71 and doing it unless you are a professional body builder. Iíd suggest getting the dual weight bracket and sixteen of the 42 pound weights. Then possibly have the rear tires filled to give you enough ballast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Tomfive, rtgt, SulleyBear and 2 others like this.
    1025R w\ block heater and one rear work light
    H120 FEL w 53" bucket, 54" QH blade, 60" MMM w\ autoconnect, mulch kit and independent lift kit
    JD 3 bag MCS with powerflow
    Land Pride RTA1250 tiller and CA1556 core aerator
    Imatch Quick Hitch
    JamisonBryce MCS Imatch adapter
    Heavy Hitch weight bracket & sub soiler combo
    CMP Attachments 60" HD front dethatcher
    Garber 72" 3pt mount drop spreader
    Countyline 3pt PHD with 9" diameter auger

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Today @ 10:52 AM
    Thanks
    I agree with those above on the 42lb weights. That is what I use on my X585 with FEL. I'm 65 and would not want to be lifting more than that.
    Go luck with your new tractor.
    Tomfive, rtgt, SulleyBear and 1 others like this.
    John Deere 5320 4WD with 520 FEL, MX-8 Mower, X585 with 45 FEL, X300, LT 133

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Today @ 10:18 AM
    Thanks
    I have the 42 lb weights. I'm 67 and they feel like 70 lbs.
    fdmars, rtgt, coaltrain and 5 others like this.
    2018 1025r. 260B backhoe, 120r loader, Titan 36" forks, Frontier RT1142 tiller
    1995 Lowes branded riding mower.

10. Top | #8
    EVT
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:46 AM
    Thanks

Totally agree

I totally agree with the 42 lb. weights. I have the Heavy Hitch single rear weight bracket and the front bracket. Wouldn't want to sling anything heavier around.
    I ain't gettin any younger.
    rtgt, keane, SulleyBear and 3 others like this.
    2018 1025R, 120R FEL, 260B BH
    BXpanded Barracuda thumb, Quick-on connector, Ripper, Trench bucket, Piranha tooth bar
    iMatch 3pt. Quick Hitch
    JD 54 inch Quick Hitch Snow Blade
    Frontier AP10F Pallet Forks
    Frontier PHD-100 Post Hole Digger
    Frontier LR2060L Landscape Rake
    JD Ballast Box
    Titan BX42 Wood Chipper
    Heavy Hitch Receiver and Suitcase Weight Bracket, Front bracket
    Lots of stuff from Ken's Bolt on Hooks

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:25 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,508 Times in 1,234 Posts
    I'll cast another vote for the 42 lbers, I do have 7 70 lbers as well but they are a handful.

Another piece of advice is definitely get the cart that goes with the weight brackets, I would use mine a lot more than I do but putting that on and then adding the weights each time is a PITA.
    rtgt, keane, SulleyBear and 3 others like this.
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    2025R W/120R FEL/Titan 36" Pallet Forks w/round bale spears/Ken's Bolt on Hooks / 72" moose plow / Kawasaki Mule(The Donkey) 610xc w/ Warn winch
    60D Auto Connect w/mulch kit and Gator G6 blades
    County Line- 48" Tiller & middle buster
    Frontier- BB5048L & DH1066 & RC2060
    JD iMATCH
    Homemade cultivator/hiller/chisel plow
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Watch the 2025R on YouTube:
    Elk Creek Acres

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:12 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,126 Times in 798 Posts
    First of all,

Second, congratulations on the new tractor and implements.

As far as the hitch and weights go I will agree with what most have posted.

Get the hitch that will hold the most weight.

Get the cart.

I can't remember in your list of stuff if you got an iMatch. If you did, , if not I'd recommend it.

As far as the weights go I'd get a mix. You get a lot of bang for your buck (and space) with the 70 pounders. I'd get 2 to 4 of them and consider them permanent fixtures on the hitch. I would make up the rest with 42 pounders that you can more easily handle to adjust the weight as needed.

Congrats and happy Tractoring!
    SulleyBear and PJR832 like this.
    Taking the easy way is what makes rivers and men crooked.

3039R, H160 FEL, 375A Backhoe, Artillian Grapple & Forks
    Z915E
    XUV560

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast