Bent Fork
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: Bent Fork

  1. Top | #1

    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Last Online
    08-29-2019 @ 09:05 PM
    Location
    Northern Ontario Canada
    Posts
    12
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Bent Fork

    Hey there so I bought a used 1026R and came with a set of pallet forks I believe 48" but one is slightly bent sticks up about 2" higher than the other, kind of a pain in the butt. My question is has anyone ever tried to bend a fork back to its original position? I tried sticking it under something heavy and lift with tractor but no luck. My next attempt maybe throwing it into a fire until red hot then using a sledge hammer but was hoping there might be another way. Also does anyone know if you can buy just a single fork or do they come in pairs only? Thanks in advance.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. Top | #2

    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:57 AM
    Location
    Drain Oregon
    Posts
    576
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 26 Times in 24 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beppi View Post
    Hey there so I bought a used 1026R and came with a set of pallet forks I believe 48" but one is slightly bent sticks up about 2" higher than the other, kind of a pain in the butt. My question is has anyone ever tried to bend a fork back to its original position? I tried sticking it under something heavy and lift with tractor but no luck. My next attempt maybe throwing it into a fire until red hot then using a sledge hammer but was hoping there might be another way. Also does anyone know if you can buy just a single fork or do they come in pairs only? Thanks in advance.
    I think your gonna have to get out the torch in order to bend it were you want it.

  4. Top | #3
    theduke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:18 AM
    Location
    NW Oregun...the Wet Side.... Gaston
    Posts
    837
    Thanks
    56
    Thanked 145 Times in 98 Posts

    Unhappy

    Where is it bent? The upright? The elbow? or the Long section "fork"
    Or is it a combination of all 3 areas?
    Are these Solid Material?.....The Fork itself.
    Last edited by theduke; 07-12-2019 at 08:25 PM.
    BigJim55 and SulleyBear like this.

  5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. Top | #4

    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Last Online
    08-29-2019 @ 09:05 PM
    Location
    Northern Ontario Canada
    Posts
    12
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Its bent at the elbow and yes solid material for sure.
    SulleyBear and JD4044M like this.

  7. Top | #5
    theduke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:18 AM
    Location
    NW Oregun...the Wet Side.... Gaston
    Posts
    837
    Thanks
    56
    Thanked 145 Times in 98 Posts
    A few options....

    I'd take it to someone with a BIG press.

    Are you sure the Fork Frame is not bent or Twisted??




    Figuring OSHA is out of the equation and your lift is limited to 1000 lbs. or probly less.

    Heat would work but generally not recomended. Forktruck/lift forks are heat treated.
    Bend the other one to match.....Gonna stress your loader frame and lead to other issues.
    If it will mount in your frame upside down...you may have some success...again stressing your loader frame /tractor ..etc
    Possible to shim it at the mounts and gain a tiny bit.

    I still vote ..Big Press
    Last edited by theduke; 07-12-2019 at 09:47 PM.
    rtgt, BigJim55, SulleyBear and 3 others like this.
    Dan


    JD 955 ,70A loader, 60" mmm , Original I-match ,4' woods B hog , 5' Box blade , 12' orchard plane/driveway grader ,various other doo-dads & homebuilt implements. Goossen BFBlower, JakeRake..this thing is different.
    Kubota U-15
    Kubota RTV 900

    47 8n......good times..V8 in my future possibly

  8. Top | #6

    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:51 PM
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    1,268
    Thanks
    71
    Thanked 174 Times in 161 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by theduke View Post
    A few options....

    I'd take it to someone with a BIG press.

    Are you sure the Fork Frame is not bent or Twisted??




    Figuring OSHA is out of the equation and your lift is limited to 1000 lbs. or probly less.

    Heat would work but generally not recomended. Forktruck/lift forks are heat treated.
    Bend the other one to match.....Gonna stress your loader frame and lead to other issues.
    If it will mount in your frame upside down...you may have some success...again stressing your loader frame /tractor ..etc
    Possible to shim it at the mounts and gain a tiny bit.

    I still vote ..Big Press
    He has it on a 1 series so 700 lbs on a good day is about a 1 series can lift.

    If you can't find someone with a big press, I would rent a Port-a-power (or even buy one, they are not too bad of a price at HF) and rig up a way to use it to straighten it out. I would be very careful if you try to straighten it while on the loader frame because that may cause more problems than it solves.
    rtgt, BigJim55, SulleyBear and 3 others like this.
    3025e, D160 loader, Artillian Grapple, Forks, Hoe Bucket, Frontier Land Plane, Rotomec PDH300, Redline Systems 54 inch rock bucket, Heavy Hitch
    400 Garden Tractor, 35a Tiller, 54 inch plow, 60 inch deck

  9. Top | #7
    Kbar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:15 PM
    Location
    -Western WA
    Posts
    632
    Thanks
    63
    Thanked 67 Times in 61 Posts
    Sure itís not the other one bent down?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Gizmo2, rtgt, PJR832 and 2 others like this.

  10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kbar For This Useful Post:

    Gizmo2†(07-13-2019), PJR832†(07-14-2019)

  11. Top | #8

    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:07 PM
    Location
    Near Roa. VA
    Posts
    3,577
    Thanks
    43
    Thanked 437 Times in 337 Posts
    I have straightened a bent fork,, twice,, I am not sure if it was the same side or not,, too long ago.

    in my case, the fork was bent down,, and, yes, these are serious, thick, wide, real forklift forks,,



    Since the bend was down, I wrapped a 3/8" chain around each end of the fork. The chain was tightened with a twist type binder.
    Then I put a 20 ton bottle jack in the bend of the fork, and jacked the chain up,,

    As the bottle jack "bends" the hypotenuse of the triangle,, the fork bends back up.



    This is not for the weak of heart,, if that chain snaps,, something will happen,,,

    I place a moving pad over the chain while I am jacking the bottle jack.
    At times, I would imagine that the chain possibly has 10X the stress in it of what the jack is exerting.
    in other words, if the jack is creating 5 tons of lift, the pull in the chain is 50 tons.

    That level of stress easily bends the fork.

    Oh, both times I bent the fork, it was due to running into something.
    This last time, I was trying to move a huge oak stump, that still had some roots attached.
    Some of the tractors include JD 4105, JD 855, JD 650,,,, and,,, the IH 584 4WD
    My favorite attachment is the homemade landplane,,, EVERYONE needs one of those!!

  12. Top | #9

    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Last Online
    08-29-2019 @ 09:05 PM
    Location
    Northern Ontario Canada
    Posts
    12
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Thanks for the info everyone I may try the bottle jack method have a few of those lying around, but now you guys have me guessing as to which one is actually bent. I have checked out the frame and it seems to be alright has to be the fork itself I assume. Thanks again

  13. Top | #10
    theduke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:18 AM
    Location
    NW Oregun...the Wet Side.... Gaston
    Posts
    837
    Thanks
    56
    Thanked 145 Times in 98 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beppi View Post
    Thanks for the info everyone I may try the bottle jack method have a few of those lying around, but now you guys have me guessing as to which one is actually bent. I have checked out the frame and it seems to be alright has to be the fork itself I assume. Thanks again


    .....I think were all guessing the 1 thats bent is bent Down.

    I can only think of a couple ways one could actually be bent UP and that would be ugly.

    I'm guessing 9 outta 10 get bent down .

    Perhaps you can do a forensic investigation of the mounts at the top and bottom of each fork as well as the frame and try to figure out what actually may have happened.

    Keep us posted and Good Luck


    Pics are always nice and may give some new insight to your issue....
    Dan


    JD 955 ,70A loader, 60" mmm , Original I-match ,4' woods B hog , 5' Box blade , 12' orchard plane/driveway grader ,various other doo-dads & homebuilt implements. Goossen BFBlower, JakeRake..this thing is different.
    Kubota U-15
    Kubota RTV 900

    47 8n......good times..V8 in my future possibly

  14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts