Like Tree54Likes

Thread: 4044M with old Dearborn Two Bottom Plow

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    09-17-2019 @ 08:40 PM
    Thanks

4044M with old Dearborn Two Bottom Plow

Hey all,

Looking to the forum for insight, as I respect ya'lls opinions and experience.

Getting some manure on my property/garden this late summer and wanting to plow it under for spring. I will also need to plow to help with the compaction from the construction this year. Will likely use it annually for the large garden as well. Looking around at prices and availability - I found an old Dearborn 2 bottom plow for a good price with coulters intact. Looks to be in pretty good shape. While I can find a ton of information on these plows, nothing really combined with the 4044M. The bit of information I have found seems to indicate I should have no issues. With that being said, any tips or information I should know before going to get it? I am certainly not an expert in plows. My uncle says parts will be hard to find, my grandpa says parts will be easy to find . The same contrast appears online, so we'll see I guess. For the price, I will use it, and if I can't find parts, I guess I will scrap/sell/keep it.

Thanks!
    In the Barn
    JD 4044M w/ 400E Loader incl 72" Bucket
    JD 673 Rotary Tiller
    Frontier AP13 Pallet Fork
    Frontier RB5084 Rear Blade

JD ZTRAK 540M w/ 54" deck

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:56 PM
    Thanks
    I have the Dearborn 2 bottom plow for my 4066R. As I understand it, there are 2 models of this plow. The newer model has replaceable plow shares along the bottom whereas the older model does not. I have the newer model. You definitely want coulters to keep a clean furrow. Also if the plows are rusted real bad, it will not scour very well, at least until it has been used extensively. You need to keep grease spread on the plows to keep them from rusting. You will need to take off your drawbar as the plow is very close to the tractor, at least on the model I have. You want to set the 3pt arms so that the right tire is in the furrow and the front plow is cutting fully into the area just to the left of the right tire. It will take some time to get the adjustment right.

Newer model
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	new dearborn plow.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	9.6 KB 
ID:	695890

Older model
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	older deraborn plow.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	9.8 KB 
ID:	695892

Dave
    rtgt, OxPath, bvbearcat and 2 others like this.
    JD 4066R CAB
    JD H180 FEL with SSQA brackets, JD iMatch, JD Ballast Box & ext, JD pull behind seed spreader
    Frontier RB2196H 8 ft rear blade/hyd angle, Frontier BB1065 Box Blade, Befco 3pt 110 inch RFM
    48" pallet forks, KK 3pt Boom Pole, Northern Tool 3pt middle buster, 2 bottom Dearborn plow
    County Line post hole digger, Rhino 3pt 10ft brush hog, Land Pride 8ft rock rake
    Fit Rite Hydraulics 3pt Top Link, front 3pt adapter for SSQA, 7 1/2 ft Field Roller, 8ft Dearborn tandem disk

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ddinham For This Useful Post:

Boar (07-17-2019)

5. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 02:16 PM
    Thanks
    Dave nailed it!

As far as replacement parts, the only 2 things you may(??) have to replace are the plow shares and the coulter wheels. Normal maintenance (greasing, keeping clean, preserving when not in use) and they'll last your life time! Bob
    rtgt likes this.
    '80 317 w/18hp B&S and divert valve for rear hydraulics, 3 pt hitch, 5' york rake
    '82 314 w/rear PTO for tiller
    33 tiller
    49 thrower
    54 4 way blade
    Mod 48 deck & Mod 462 TracVac

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:33 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,287 Times in 1,416 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rwmeyer View Post
    Dave nailed it!

As far as replacement parts, the only 2 things you may(??) have to replace are the plow shares and the coulter wheels. Normal maintenance (greasing, keeping clean, preserving when not in use) and they'll last your life time! Bob
    ..plus shins and landsides, and eventually moldboards.
    OxPath, BigJim55, PJR832 and 1 others like this.
    Don

2320, 54D MMM, 200CX FEL, 54 Front Blade with Artillian Extensions, Omni Transformer Hitch
    445, 54 mower and 54 front blade
    80 dump cart, 21 walk behind mower

8. The Following User Says Thank You to DRobinson For This Useful Post:

rwmeyer (07-17-2019)

9. Top | #5

Last Online
    09-14-2019 @ 09:13 AM
    Thanks
    Your tractor has the horsepower to pull it. You may need to add some wheel weights for traction. If you have the power reverser transmission you will not have any problems. If you have the hydro you may run into power issues. One thing I have noticed about plowing with a hydro is that the fluid will really heat up on you. I plowed 3/4 acre with my 2038r and the hydro fluid was so hot that touching my hydraulic top link caused immediate skin burns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Boar likes this.
    3046r Cab, H165 w/61" bucket, Frontier 72"BB, MX6, and Woods TCR68" Tiller.

10. Top | #6

Last Online
    Today @ 02:16 PM
    Thanks
    Thanks DR! I learned something...maybe(??). I was familiar with all the terms you mentioned except shin. I now believe this is a replaceable leading edge on the moldboard? Bob
    DRobinson and PJR832 like this.
    '80 317 w/18hp B&S and divert valve for rear hydraulics, 3 pt hitch, 5' york rake
    '82 314 w/rear PTO for tiller
    33 tiller
    49 thrower
    54 4 way blade
    Mod 48 deck & Mod 462 TracVac

11. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:43 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rwmeyer View Post
    Thanks DR! I learned something...maybe(??). I was familiar with all the terms you mentioned except shin. I now believe this is a replaceable leading edge on the moldboard? Bob
    Here is a video showing a Deere 3320 with a 2-12 ferguson plow (same as dearborn). You should have a bit more weight and hp than this 3320, so you should get along even better.

As for shins, check out this episode. I replace the 'shins' on an old Oliver plow:

rtgt, BigJim55, PJR832 and 2 others like this.
    (See Tractor Time with Tim's main YouTube channel page)
    Tractor Time with Tim Web site
    Owned:
    2018 Deere 1025R

Sponsored (subsidized, loaner, etc):
    Ventrac 4500
    Case CX37C
    Deere 5075e
    Deere 2038r
    Deere Gator 835M HVAC

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Tractor Tim For This Useful Post:

Boar (07-17-2019)

13. Top | #8

Last Online
    09-17-2019 @ 08:40 PM
    Thanks
    Thanks for the information so far!

Taking off the drawbar would be annoying.

The plow I am looking at is the older version of the Dearborn referenced from the image that ddinham provided. So instead of replacing the plow share, I would have to replace the whole moldboard, which would likely be more expensive if I could even find parts, right?

I have the hydro trans. I will have to pay attention to any overheating issues.

Sounds like I should perhaps be second guessing this purchase in favor a different plow. I am open for feedback.
    PJR832 and JD4044M like this.
    In the Barn
    JD 4044M w/ 400E Loader incl 72" Bucket
    JD 673 Rotary Tiller
    Frontier AP13 Pallet Fork
    Frontier RB5084 Rear Blade

JD ZTRAK 540M w/ 54" deck

14. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:56 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Boar View Post

The plow I am looking at is the older version of the Dearborn referenced from the image that ddinham provided. So instead of replacing the plow share, I would have to replace the whole moldboard, which would likely be more expensive if I could even find parts, right?

Sounds like I should perhaps be second guessing this purchase in favor a different plow. I am open for feedback.
    Let's face it. With a compact tractor, we are not usually going to plowing all day, so we are not likely going to be wearing out a plow. Check the edges of the plow shares and if they are OK now, I would not worry about it. You are right that you would have to replace the entire moldboard, but probably will never need to. I have had mine for three years and have yet to use it, beyond getting it set up to use. These plows are not easy to find, especially at a reasonable price. You might have to go a long time to find another one. You have not stated the condition of the mouldboards. If they are real rusty, you may want to look for another one.

If you try to plow in B range, you would be much more likely to have the hydro fluid heat up. Be sure to plow in A range. I am not sure my 4066R could pull it in B range anyway. With R4 tires, traction also becomes an issue. Remember also that plowing sod is much more demanding than plowing a field that has been plowed previously.

Dave
    rtgt, OxPath, BigJim55 and 1 others like this.
    JD 4066R CAB
    JD H180 FEL with SSQA brackets, JD iMatch, JD Ballast Box & ext, JD pull behind seed spreader
    Frontier RB2196H 8 ft rear blade/hyd angle, Frontier BB1065 Box Blade, Befco 3pt 110 inch RFM
    48" pallet forks, KK 3pt Boom Pole, Northern Tool 3pt middle buster, 2 bottom Dearborn plow
    County Line post hole digger, Rhino 3pt 10ft brush hog, Land Pride 8ft rock rake
    Fit Rite Hydraulics 3pt Top Link, front 3pt adapter for SSQA, 7 1/2 ft Field Roller, 8ft Dearborn tandem disk

15. Top | #10

Last Online
    09-14-2019 @ 09:13 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Boar View Post

You can probably just slide the drawbar forward. I can on my 2038, of course yours could be different.

If the plow is cheap and in good condition then go ahead and get it. I’m not sure how much plowing you’re gonna do but you may never need to replace anything. I recall seeing somewhere that each wear part was good for 100 acres. So your plow is good for 200.

That plow will pull easier than the new plows if today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    rtgt, OxPath and JD4044M like this.
    3046r Cab, H165 w/61" bucket, Frontier 72"BB, MX6, and Woods TCR68" Tiller.

16. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast