Like Tree46Likes

Thread: Need opinions...trees, stumps, stump buckets, and SCUTs

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:25 AM
    Thanks

Need opinions...trees, stumps, stump buckets, and SCUTs

To cut to the chase...here's the bottom line question:

Would an aggressive stump bucket like this CRI bucket on a little SCUT be able to take the stumps of 10-12 inch diameter spruce trees in wet soil?

Here's the backstory...

I recently had a storm take down one of about 7 relatively unhealthy blue spruces along one edge of my property, all of them about 10-12 inches in diameter at the base. The soil is pretty wet (probably one reason the trees aren't very robust) and as you can see from the photo it's a pretty shallow root system, typical of blue spruce. Straight line winds just plain blew the sucker over. This was probably the largest of the 7 spruces along that fence.

As I've been working on getting this tree out of there, I find that I'm held up at the base by several small-ish 2-3 inch roots. With my 1023E and forks, I can lift the tree and rotate it back and forth pivoting on the roots that are attached but I don't have enough power to lift at the base and uproot them. It's clear that I'm going to have to sever those remaining feeder roots to free up the base.

Additionally, I think (more importantly, my wife thinks) that those other spruce trees are going to have to come down. She wants them out of there and wants to replant white pines or balsams, or something.

And in the front yard I have a couple of other unhealthy spruces that need to come out and replaced with something more suitable to the soil and location.

These trees are all 10-12 inches in diameter (the one that blew down is the largest of them). I'm no tree expert, but I know that spruce typically have no tap root, just spreading feeders that rarely go deeper than about 12-18 inches, and that's what I see on the one that blew down.

As I was looking at the stump bucket thread here, it occurred to me that an aggressive stump bucket like the CRI bucket ought to let me rip the rest of those roots on the downed tree. So, I wonder if that same bucket on my 1023E would be able to uproot the remaining spruce trees along that fence.

My question for you all, and I appreciate your looking at this thread:

Would an aggressive stump bucket like this CRI bucket on a little SCUT be able to take the stumps of 10-12 inch diameter spruce trees in wet soil? I'd need to dig around the things and sever the feeder roots and then lever the stump out of there. My thinking is that $750 for a stump bucket is going to be a lot less than what I'd pay a tree service.

Or...any other ideas?
    rtgt, SulleyBear and Bill56 like this.
    2019 John Deere 1023E SCUT with 120R FEL
    iMatch quick hitch Cat 3
    Titan 3-Point 2" Receiver Hitch
    Titan 42 inch Chinese pallet forks
    Titan Chinese Ballast Box
    Field Tuff FTF-60PSR3PT Pine Straw Rake, 3 Pt - modified for 2" receiver
    Ken's Bolt-On Grab Hooks
    Ratchet Rake

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:50 PM
    Thanks
    I rented a Mini-excavator for something like $250/day.
    right tool for the job and all that
    Gizmo2, rtgt, vt2305 and 4 others like this.
    '06 JD 2720, FEL, Flail Mower.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:25 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by klunker View Post
    I rented a Mini-excavator for something like $250/day.
    right tool for the job and all that
    Just had that exact conversation with my son. He agrees with you.
    rtgt, BigJim55, SulleyBear and 1 others like this.
    2019 John Deere 1023E SCUT with 120R FEL
    iMatch quick hitch Cat 3
    Titan 3-Point 2" Receiver Hitch
    Titan 42 inch Chinese pallet forks
    Titan Chinese Ballast Box
    Field Tuff FTF-60PSR3PT Pine Straw Rake, 3 Pt - modified for 2" receiver
    Ken's Bolt-On Grab Hooks
    Ratchet Rake

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Today @ 10:21 AM
    Thanks
    From the experience I had digging out a couple of 4 - 5” stumps with a stump bucket, you’ll get pretty darn tired of messin around with a stump the size of the one you want to dig out of the ground.
    It can be accomplished, but it’s gonna take you a l-o-n-g time to do it.
    Your money would be better spent renting an excavator or even a stump grinder than buying a new stump bucket that you probably woun't ever use much.

G
    Last edited by Gwizz; 07-17-2019 at 09:29 PM.
    rtgt and SulleyBear like this.
    2013 - JD 1025r, 60" Auto Connect MMM, H120 FEL, 50" QA Loader Bucket, Home made Bucket Teeth, Titan QA loader fork back frame, Home made 66" Loader QA Snow Plow, Home made Land Plane. Home made loader QA Stump bucket. Home made loader boom pole attachment. Home made Landscape Rake. Modified HF Quick Hitch, Home made 3 point Ballast Box, Home made Debris Forks, Betsco BX42-S Wood Chipper, Woods 60" Back Blade, 72" Befco Finish Mower. 5' Bush Hog Mower. 1952 Ford 8N

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:58 AM
    Thanks
    if your in the country.....tannerite.

I got sucked into a 5 hour YT binge today...many of which were stump removal.

I have a mini ex. Have dug out a bunch of big stumps...Its extremely hard on the machine and its way more robust than a scut. Way hard on the lower back as well. Ex has zero suspension.

I hate doing it ..but when doing it Now, I leave the tree attatched..much easier.

You will loosen every pin & joint in your loader & all related stuff by a little bit..Its just gonna happen.

Burning looks to be one of the better solutions..or rent whatever.
    rtgt, BigJim55 and SulleyBear like this.
    Dan

JD 955 ,70A loader, 60" mmm , Original I-match ,4' woods B hog , 5' Box blade , 12' orchard plane/driveway grader ,various other doo-dads & homebuilt implements. Goossen BFBlower, JakeRake..this thing is different.
    Kubota U-15
    Kubota RTV 900

47 8n......good times..V8 in my future possibly

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:10 AM
    Thanks
    That’s alot of money for a handful of trees. In wet soil with shallow roots, a heavy hitch tooth bar would suffice imo

Sent from my phone that’s smarter than me
    rtgt, BigJim55 and SulleyBear like this.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:26 PM
    Thanks
    i ran a stump grinder for about 5 years at a tree service and then ended up with my own pull-behind Rayco grinder. We would have charged about $40 / stump to grind 12" spruce stumps. But that was almost 20 years ago. i would agree with others, a stump grinder or an excavator to rip out the entire root system.
    1984 JD 316 w/ cat 0 3-pt hitch and 2000 rpm pto, 48" tiller, 49" snowblower, 42" belly mower
    2015 JD 1025r, 60d MMM, 54" front mounted snowblower, Heavy hitch, Ballast box
    1980 JD 1050 4wd, JD 75 loader, IH 60" brush hog
    1980? Satoh S550g Elk, 60" belly mower
    McCulloch Saws - 1970's Mini Mac 30; Mac 10-10
    1978 Ariens Sno-Thro 32"; Troy-Bilt 24" snoblower
    1996 Polaris 680 Ultra Snowmobile, 2004 Yamaha Raptor 660, 2016 Polaris Sportsman 570
    1996 KTM EXC 300
    Gravely ZT-HD 60"

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:36 PM
    Thanks
    I was just talking about this with my neighbor last Friday. Now he has a much bigger machine 2038R and he has been taking out stumps from some of the same types of trees for the same reasons. His tractor is doing a pretty good job at it. The difference is he has a lot more working capacity than you do. I would take the $750 (I think that is what you said it cost) and put that toward a rental mini excavator for a day or weekend.

The problem is not only are you trying to lift the tree and stump but you will have quite a bit of dirt there. While you have enough working capacity to lift the bucket of dirt, you don't have enough capacity in reserve to sever the roots. You could first cut down the tree but that isn't helping things. Also do yourself a favor and cut the tree down a few feet up. It is easier to do that way, then dig on each side a bit and use the stump of the tree for leverage to pull it out. I had a few Ash trees taken out with our construction project and I left him 2.5-3' of trunk sticking up. Once he got the root ball out I went back with the saw and cut that part off and hauled the root ball down to the burn pile.

JD Z950R 60" Deck with DFS Collection System

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 48" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, 3pt Sprayer

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Today @ 01:33 PM
    Thanks
    Im not sure from your post, but it sounds like you are using the loader lift function to try to pull the roots out? You should be using the rollback, which has much less movement, but a huge mechanical advantage over the lift function. Looks like on your loader, it would double the force applied. You still might have trouble with those roots, but I would give it a go if you haven't. It requires more inputs (set edge against base of stump, roll bucket back, push stump forward, set edge again), and there is less movement per input, but it might work for you if your ground is soft enough. If not, rent that excavator, I agree with the other statements here, it will be more cost effective.

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:58 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,120 Times in 796 Posts
    Another factor is how much do you want to tear up your yard?

If you can get all the way around the tree you can drive the stump bucket into the ground at an angle to sever the roots and then start pushing/pulling it loose. In doing that your going to have a large circle of damage around the tree.

Using an excavator with a ripper you can do the same thing from a couple spots and the only area torn up is where the stump is.

With that many to do I would go with the excavator and a ripper. They are fun to operate.

You'll get plenty of seat time on your tractor hauling off the debris and fixing up the yard.

I would start buy cutting and clearing all of the trees, leaving a tall stump, at least 3 foot. Once everything is cleared, bring in the excavator and have at it.
    SulleyBear likes this.
    Taking the easy way is what makes rivers and men crooked.

3039R, H160 FEL, 375A Backhoe, Artillian Grapple & Forks
    Z915E
    XUV560

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast