3 point sprayer on the front of the tractor
Results 1 to 9 of 9
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Dovetail
  • 3 Post By rjpoog1989
  • 1 Post By JimR
  • 1 Post By Dovetail

Thread: 3 point sprayer on the front of the tractor

  1. Top | #1
    Dovetail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:03 PM
    Location
    East Texas
    Posts
    43
    Thanks
    19
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts

    3 point sprayer on the front of the tractor

    Does anyone have experience using a 3 point sprayer with the bucket removed, mounted to a 3 point quick hitch in front on a fork frame for easier viewing of where you are spraying the chemicals? What are the negatives, is this a bad option?
    Herminator likes this.
    New Green, 3046R cab, 60" deck, and FEL, soon to be departed Orange BX2200 60" deck, and FEL

  2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. Top | #2
    rjpoog1989's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:19 AM
    Location
    Bedford
    Posts
    191
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 12 Times in 12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dovetail View Post
    Does anyone have experience using a 3 point sprayer with the bucket removed, mounted to a 3 point quick hitch in front on a fork frame for easier viewing of where you are spraying the chemicals? What are the negatives, is this a bad option?
    Depends what youíre spraying. I spray chemicals for a living and when riding equipment you always spray behind you. You canít drive over sprayed fertilizer because the weight of the machine will burn the turf. You also have to be careful if you run over chemicals and then drive somewhere you donít want the chemicals to go.
    Treefarmer, raco232 and Herminator like this.
    2019 2025r: Galaxy R3+, 60D AutoConnect, 120r loader, 260b backhoe, AP10F 42Ē forks

    1948 Farmall Cub: L-54 snow plow, 193 one bottom plow
    Husqvarna push mower (I forget the model)
    Husqvarna 562XP chainsaw: 24" bar w/ skip tooth, 20Ē Power Match full comp
    Craftsman 18" chainsaw

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to rjpoog1989 For This Useful Post:

    Dovetail†(07-18-2019)

  5. Top | #3

    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:56 AM
    Location
    Berlin, MA
    Posts
    4,604
    Thanks
    94
    Thanked 869 Times in 664 Posts
    I have no idea what the pros/cons of having the spray boom up front would be but your description seems like a convoluted way to get it down. I'm not sure why you'd want the whole setup hanging out front. The booms on those things are usually connected to the pump via a hose/tube. Wouldn't it be easier to just find a way to mount the boom up front and run a longer hose to the tank/pump out back?
    Herminator likes this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

  6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  7. Top | #4
    Dovetail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:03 PM
    Location
    East Texas
    Posts
    43
    Thanks
    19
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JimR View Post
    I have no idea what the pros/cons of having the spray boom up front would be but your description seems like a convoluted way to get it down. I'm not sure why you'd want the whole setup hanging out front. The booms on those things are usually connected to the pump via a hose/tube. Wouldn't it be easier to just find a way to mount the boom up front and run a longer hose to the tank/pump out back?
    I don't know, that's why I was asking, my thinking was to spray a fence line and edging around trees that have about a 10 foot diameter landscaped with crushed rock to eliminate the creeping grass/weeds into the area. I could see the end of the boom on the end of one side, rather than constantly looking backwards (neck wrenching)? I didn't think of an extension from the rear to the front? I never used a 3 point sprayer, only a 25 gal towed from behind with a wand on an open station I no longer own. I would be Spraying three acres of fence line, numerous landscaped trees edges, and a rather long driveway on both sides.
    Herminator likes this.
    New Green, 3046R cab, 60" deck, and FEL, soon to be departed Orange BX2200 60" deck, and FEL

  8. Top | #5

    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:26 PM
    Location
    Eastern Virginia, United States
    Posts
    4,487
    Thanks
    341
    Thanked 812 Times in 529 Posts

    Good answer

    Quote Originally Posted by rjpoog1989 View Post
    Depends what youíre spraying. I spray chemicals for a living and when riding equipment you always spray behind you. You canít drive over sprayed fertilizer because the weight of the machine will burn the turf. You also have to be careful if you run over chemicals and then drive somewhere you donít want the chemicals to go.
    Good points there. Even the very high dollar spray rigs used in ag have the booms behind the operator, and those have extreme filtration for the cab. I have seen wick bars mounted on a FEL because it's easier to control the height but those don't put droplets in the air. There is still the issue of the tires taking product where you don't want it to go, plus in tall material you are effectively coating the underside of your tractor with the spray material.

    Treefarmer
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to Treefarmer For This Useful Post:

    Dovetail†(07-19-2019)

  10. Top | #6
    sennister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:26 AM
    Location
    Twin Cities, MN
    Posts
    2,095
    Thanks
    30
    Thanked 224 Times in 185 Posts
    Unless you only plan on spraying water, I wouldn't want to breathe the chemicals.

    Not sure if it is fully proven but I wouldn't risk it...

    Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma Roundup Lawyer | ELG Law

    We had this discussion a week or two ago when someone mounted a sprayer to the front of their ZTrak. It would be fine to mount it there and drive around backwards I guess.
    Last edited by sennister; 07-19-2019 at 08:13 AM.


    JD Z950R 60" Deck with DFS Collection System

    JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 48" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, 3pt Sprayer

  11. Top | #7
    Dovetail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:03 PM
    Location
    East Texas
    Posts
    43
    Thanks
    19
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts

    I'm not a pro, just a home owner........

    All good points, I do have a cab, so I wasn't worried about mist. If I've been reading correctly, can't you turn some nozzles off while spraying? I wanted the end nozzle (on one boom) to apply the weed/grass killer turning the pump off/on as needed - I realize they'll be drippage. I'll investigate the boom attachment, or keep looking to the rear?
    So, I'm gathering, it's not a good idea for the sprayer unit to be in the front, I'll go with the crowd, that's what I was trying to determine! Guess I was over, or under thinking!
    Thanks everyone for their input
    New Green, 3046R cab, 60" deck, and FEL, soon to be departed Orange BX2200 60" deck, and FEL

  12. Top | #8
    Dovetail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:03 PM
    Location
    East Texas
    Posts
    43
    Thanks
    19
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Treefarmer View Post
    Good points there. Even the very high dollar spray rigs used in ag have the booms behind the operator, and those have extreme filtration for the cab. I have seen wick bars mounted on a FEL because it's easier to control the height but those don't put droplets in the air. There is still the issue of the tires taking product where you don't want it to go, plus in tall material you are effectively coating the underside of your tractor with the spray material.

    Treefarmer
    I had to research wick bar, that sounds like a great idea for bahia grass that grows very tall in my yard, I don't have to mow as often when the bahia grass is eliminated by mid summer. Thanks.........
    New Green, 3046R cab, 60" deck, and FEL, soon to be departed Orange BX2200 60" deck, and FEL

  13. Top | #9

    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Last Online
    09-14-2019 @ 09:13 AM
    Location
    Texas Panhandle
    Posts
    931
    Thanks
    64
    Thanked 90 Times in 83 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dovetail View Post
    I had to research wick bar, that sounds like a great idea for bahia grass that grows very tall in my yard, I don't have to mow as often when the bahia grass is eliminated by mid summer. Thanks.........
    Yeah, we called itís wiper. I would run that in our peanut fields wiping roundup on the careless weeds and Johnson grass. Worked great.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    3046r Cab, H165 w/61" bucket, Frontier 72"BB, MX6, and Woods TCR68" Tiller.

  14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts