Trying to set up the rake on my rotary cutter but I'm out of toplink. what do?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Trying to set up the rake on my rotary cutter but I'm out of toplink. what do?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:46 PM
    Thanks

Trying to set up the rake on my rotary cutter but I'm out of toplink. what do?

I have a 2025r with a factory installed backhoe, my 3 point came in a box. I installed the 3 point, leveled it using the adjustable side link. I connected the rotary cutter and went to adjust the rake, 2" higher in the back than the front and immediately ran into a problem, my toplink is all the way tight and the cutter is sitting level front to back. it looks to me like the way to raise the rear is by tightening the toplink. How do I raise the rear?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0pWXwQp.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	3.65 MB 
ID:	696108

Name:	mZU8wJl.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	3.64 MB 
ID:	696110

Name:	g3mhDsD.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	2.92 MB 
ID:	696112

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:14 AM
    Thanks
    You raise the rear with the tail wheel.

Dave
    SulleyBear and xcityfolk like this.
    JD 4066R CAB
    JD H180 FEL with SSQA brackets, JD iMatch, JD Ballast Box & ext, JD pull behind seed spreader
    Frontier RB2196H 8 ft rear blade/hyd angle, Frontier BB1065 Box Blade, Befco 3pt 110 inch RFM
    48" pallet forks, KK 3pt Boom Pole, Northern Tool 3pt middle buster, 2 bottom Dearborn plow
    County Line post hole digger, Rhino 3pt 10ft brush hog, Land Pride 8ft rock rake
    Fit Rite Hydraulics 3pt Top Link, front 3pt adapter for SSQA, 7 1/2 ft Field Roller, 8ft Dearborn tandem disk

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:32 PM
    Thanks
    isn't the rear wheel adjustable...most seem to be by moving to a different set of bolt holes on the tail end wheel.

be sure it is swiveled "back" as the heigth will change if its forward ...if that makes sense.
    Last edited by theduke; 07-18-2019 at 07:59 PM.
    Dan

JD 955 ,70A loader, 60" mmm , Original I-match ,4' woods B hog , 5' Box blade , 12' orchard plane/driveway grader ,various other doo-dads & homebuilt implements. Goossen BFBlower, JakeRake..this thing is different.
    Kubota U-15
    Kubota RTV 900

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ddinham View Post
    You raise the rear with the tail wheel.

Dave
    I certainly though about that but after watching several million youtube videos it seemed like that was the wrong way to do it. (can you tell I'm new? ) What I'd seen was that I needed to raise the cutter to the height of cut I wanted in the front, then adjust the toplink until the rear was 2" higher, then drop the tail wheel to the ground and put a pin in the closest hole.

If all it takes is just using the tailwheel to get the height, great! I'll try that

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:32 PM
    Thanks
    It should "ride" on the rear wheel...on the front ..you raise/lower the 3 point depending on your ground.

Mine is all hilly so I'm up/down constantly.

It appears you have the swivel unit @ the top of the 3 point...you need this centered so it won't bind up ..For instance driving through a small ditch.
    And there are times you want to lift it clear up with the rear wheel up...theres a fine line to getting it right.

My driveshaft will bind against the the top front edge of mower deck and has cut the plastic driveline sheild.

Other instances where you want the rear of mower to drop as far as possible; backing up to hillside drop offs to get whatever weeds /grass. Keep an eye on driveline as it will move in /out quite a ways in the extremes.

You don't want to stuff the driveline;;into the rear/pto
    Dan

JD 955 ,70A loader, 60" mmm , Original I-match ,4' woods B hog , 5' Box blade , 12' orchard plane/driveway grader ,various other doo-dads & homebuilt implements. Goossen BFBlower, JakeRake..this thing is different.
    Kubota U-15
    Kubota RTV 900

8. The Following User Says Thank You to theduke For This Useful Post:

Zebrafive (07-20-2019)

9. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by theduke View Post
    It appears you have the swivel unit @ the top of the 3 point...you need this centered so it won't bind up
    Can you clarify what you mean by the swivel unit? I googled and couldn't find anything.

I too have pretty uneven ground and I try to raise and lower it so that I don't articulate the whole thing too much, I'm also trying to avoid plowing the front end too much.

10. Top | #7

Last Online
    Today @ 07:38 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by xcityfolk View Post
    Can you clarify what you mean by the swivel unit? I googled and couldn't find anything.

I too have pretty uneven ground and I try to raise and lower it so that I don't articulate the whole thing too much, I'm also trying to avoid plowing the front end too much.
    Its the part that’s hooked up under the top link.

11. Top | #8
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:34 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,887 Times in 2,864 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by xcityfolk View Post
    I have a 2025r with a factory installed backhoe, my 3 point came in a box. I installed the 3 point, leveled it using the adjustable side link. I connected the rotary cutter and went to adjust the rake, 2" higher in the back than the front and immediately ran into a problem, my toplink is all the way tight and the cutter is sitting level front to back. it looks to me like the way to raise the rear is by tightening the toplink. How do I raise the rear?
    Are you certain you have the correct hitch for your tractor? The top link looks a bit long in the picture. Wouldn't be the first time someone got the wrong hitch.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

12. Top | #9

Last Online
    Today @ 10:25 AM
    Thanks
    Your mower should not look like this when lifted,,

You want the tail to be lower when lifted, so that when you go over a "hump" the mower will continue to cut.

If the mower is level when lifted, the mower will come off the ground when you travel over a hump.

The tail wheel should control the position of the rear of the mower.

Some people that need even more movement of the mower will replace the top link with a short length of chain.
    When the machine travels through a "valley", the chain will go slack, the mower stays in proper cutting position,,,

The front is controlled by the three point arm position

To get absolute repeat of the three point arm position, there is a chain kit that causes the arms to go down to the same position each time,,

Gizmo2 and Dovetail like this.
    Some of the tractors include JD 4105, JD 855, JD 650,,,, and,,, the IH 584 4WD
    My favorite attachment is the homemade landplane,,, EVERYONE needs one of those!!

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:43 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,539 Times in 1,165 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    Are you certain you have the correct hitch for your tractor? The top link looks a bit long in the picture. Wouldn't be the first time someone got the wrong hitch.
    The Gen-2 2025R top-link is pretty long, just like the other Gen-2 2-series. According to JD Parts it adjusts from 19.6" to 27.5".

Specification
    Weight: 6.92 LBS 3.14 Kg
    Category Number 1
    Hole Size 0.748 IN
    Size 0.748 IN
    Body Length 16.457 IN
    Adjust From 19.685 IN
    Adjust To 27.559 IN
    Finish K
    Gizmo2, BigJim55, PJR832 and 1 others like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast