• 5 Post By DCRanger
  • 2 Post By DCRanger

Thread: Question on new 3 Pt Aerator

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    09-17-2019 @ 04:03 PM
    Thanks

Question on new 3 Pt Aerator

Looking at a like new used Ryan Lawnaire 48” Core Aerator. It weighs 710 lbs and wondering if my Cat 1 1025R could lift it with FEL and weight in front? It’s about 40 pounds over what JD recommends at the 3 Pt.
    Gary

JD 1025R FEL / 53" Bucket/JD 54" snowblower/JD 60” MMM/JD LX4 4’ Rotary Cutter/Ryan Lawnaire 48” 3PH Aerator/Titan Pallet Forks/FIMCO 40 Gal 3PH Sprayer and a Phenomenal Wife that allows me to buy tractor stuff!

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:42 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DCRanger View Post
    Looking at a like new used Ryan Lawnaire 48” Core Aerator. It weighs 710 lbs and wondering if my Cat 1 1025R could lift it with FEL and weight in front? It’s about 40 pounds over what JD recommends at the 3 Pt.
    It will depend somewhat how far the center of gravity of the aerator is behind the three point connection points.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    jdforever, DCRanger and Herminator like this.
    JD 1025 TLB (2013) ** 60D 7 Iron MMM w/auto-connect ** H120 FEL** 260 BH ** 54" snowblower ** 54" blade ** 52" Front Broom ** Ken's Bolt on Hooks ** Frontier BB2048L box scraper ** County Line 5' landscape rake ** JD Hydraulic Dump MCS ** Artillian Forks w/36" Forks ** JD 3 - Point Ballast Box ** JD I-Match Quick Hitch ** Heavy Hitch front Weight Bar ** Heavy Hitch 3 Point Weight Bar ** Fimco 40 Gallon Sprayer ** EA Aerator ** FitRite Hydraulics Rear SCV ** 12 - 40# suitcase weights

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:21 PM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,495 Times in 1,404 Posts
    Keep in mind your Category 1 3 point hitch is limited in lift height due to the tractor's low clearance.

Take it from someone who uses a Frontier 60" Core Aerator which weighs about 400 pounds and with another 168 pounds of suitcase weights on it, its going to control your tractor with that amount of weight.

Yes, you might lift it as I have lifted over 800 pounds+ with my 3 ph, but the way the core aerator engages the ground, its going to "pull" the tractor around side to side. You will definitely know its behind you. Keep in mind if you use a IMatch, that's going to add another 75 pounds or so to the 3 ph weight load.....putting you up near 800 pounds.

Also, NEVER turn with the core aerator in the soil as it will bend the spoons and also tear the snot right out of the lawn.

I always leave the FEL on when using the aerator for balance. With the aerator you are considering, you may want some extra weight in the loader bucket or use the front weight bracket as 800 pounds on the 3 point when its ground engaging tends to push the tractor around some, sometimes quite a bit........

You MUST be able to lift it high enough (based on the Category 1 hitch and the tractors low ground clearance) to properly turn and position itself to do the best job if the aerator wasn't designed for SCUT use. At nearly 800 pounds, that might be an issue.

If you can't get the bottom of the spoons at least 6" off the soil when lifting the implement, you are going to have problems making transitions and dealing with obstacles and road edges, sprinkler heads, control valves, sidewalks, etc. If you can hook it up to your tractor before buying it, I would make sure the bottom of the spoons are the minimum 6" to 8" above the ground when lifting it with the 3ph or you are going to find many situations where the aerator might damage the surface by the spoons "dragging", especially in dips and surface transitions.

I am not familiar with the brand of core aerator, but I am surprised a 48" core aerator is that heavy. That's nearly double what the Frontier 60" core Aerator weighs.

Core aerating is about improving the ability to get water and nutrients to the roots of the grass and to reduce ground compaction. While you need weight to help penetrate certain types of soil, I find that often 3 to 4 (42#) suitcase weights on the core aerator pulls just the right plugs for most lawns which are not regularly irrigated. Those lawns which have irrigation will get nice cores with just the weight of the Aerator itself.

Also, the design of the Frontier aerator allows the suitcase weights to hang very nicely on the aerator frame in a well balanced and weight distributed manner. Since the rear 3 point doesn't have down pressure, you need the weight of the implement to perform the task, which is why adding suitcase weights on harder soil works on the Frontier aerator I use.
    Last edited by SulleyBear; 07-20-2019 at 07:43 PM.
    jdforever, DCRanger and Herminator like this.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:39 PM
    Thanks
    I agree with everything SB said.

My woods 60” is 454lbs. 1,000 can be added.

The one you are looking at seems heavy which concerns me some. There are times I add weight but that one is going to be heavy all the time.
    Last edited by Herminator; 07-20-2019 at 08:30 PM.
    BigJim55, jdforever and DCRanger like this.
    Welcome to Intermission.

2017 2038R, 400, 3020 & HPX and thingies to hook to the them.
    112 - Sold in July 2017 but took me until November to admit I just cast it out into this cruel world.
    #compactfarmer

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:33 PM
    Thanks
    Cat 1 attachments are about 16" pin to ground. Cat 1 limited is 12" pin to ground.
    Tom

2019 X590 with power mulch control and PF bagger
    30" mechanical tiller
    02 X595 with 62" deck,front thatcher and powerflow PTO kit
    3pt hitch with Heavy Hitch 45 JD loader
    12 JD suitcase weights
    JD/Brinly 3pt plow
    Frontier SS1036 3pt pto spreader
    (2) JS63C walk behind mowers
    TS 105 JD weed wacker
    tow behind 15 gal. sprayer
    Turftime 60" lawn roller
    Turftime 54" 3pt core aerator

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B7195085-019B-4602-9698-0C4B2C322FBB.jpeg 
Views:	8 
Size:	3.13 MB 
ID:	696574Click image for larger version. 

Name:	525F73AF-2800-4F29-8B60-970DF27FA052.jpeg 
Views:	8 
Size:	2.93 MB 
ID:	696572
    Quote Originally Posted by SulleyBear View Post
    Keep in mind your Category 1 3 point hitch is limited in lift height due to the tractor's low clearance.

Take it from someone who uses a Frontier 60" Core Aerator which weighs about 400 pounds and with another 168 pounds of suitcase weights on it, its going to control your tractor with that amount of weight.

Yes, you might lift it as I have lifted over 800 pounds+ with my 3 ph, but the way the core aerator engages the ground, its going to "pull" the tractor around side to side. You will definitely know its behind you. Keep in mind if you use a IMatch, that's going to add another 75 pounds or so to the 3 ph weight load.....putting you up near 800 pounds.

Also, NEVER turn with the core aerator in the soil as it will bend the spoons and also tear the snot right out of the lawn.

I always leave the FEL on when using the aerator for balance. With the aerator you are considering, you may want some extra weight in the loader bucket or use the front weight bracket as 800 pounds on the 3 point when its ground engaging tends to push the tractor around some, sometimes quite a bit........

You MUST be able to lift it high enough (based on the Category 1 hitch and the tractors low ground clearance) to properly turn and position itself to do the best job if the aerator wasn't designed for SCUT use. At nearly 800 pounds, that might be an issue.

If you can't get the bottom of the spoons at least 6" off the soil when lifting the implement, you are going to have problems making transitions and dealing with obstacles and road edges, sprinkler heads, control valves, sidewalks, etc. If you can hook it up to your tractor before buying it, I would make sure the bottom of the spoons are the minimum 6" to 8" above the ground when lifting it with the 3ph or you are going to find many situations where the aerator might damage the surface by the spoons "dragging", especially in dips and surface transitions.

I am not familiar with the brand of core aerator, but I am surprised a 48" core aerator is that heavy. That's nearly double what the Frontier 60" core Aerator weighs.

Core aerating is about improving the ability to get water and nutrients to the roots of the grass and to reduce ground compaction. While you need weight to help penetrate certain types of soil, I find that often 3 to 4 (42#) suitcase weights on the core aerator pulls just the right plugs for most lawns which are not regularly irrigated. Those lawns which have irrigation will get nice cores with just the weight of the Aerator itself.

Also, the design of the Frontier aerator allows the suitcase weights to hang very nicely on the aerator frame in a well balanced and weight distributed manner. Since the rear 3 point doesn't have down pressure, you need the weight of the implement to perform the task, which is why adding suitcase weights on harder soil works on the Frontier aerator I use.
    Thanks SB for the great insight and considerations. Drove 4 hours to buy the aerator today as it was too good to pass up. Over 50% off the cost of new. Compared to a new EA, Frontier, Landpride, Woods, this was a steal! Looks like it’s been used maybe once twice. Purchased at an auction, then not used. Ryan has been in the lawn and aerator business for 70 years. They’re now part of the larger Schiller Group which also owns Classen, Mantis, Steiner and others. In fact if you watch one of EA’s videos, Ted’s family had one of the Ryan Lawnaires and it’s the model they used to build and improve upon for their current core pluggers. This is the 48” Ryan Lawnaire Model 544876A 3 Pt.

I don’t have a quick hitch so no extra weight. Regarding the weight, I did a test. With the FEL on my 1025 and my LX 4 rotary cutter (400+ lbs) on the 3 pt, plus another 300 lbs added to the rear, I was able to lift the 3pt 6+ inches off the ground. I did this test before deciding to buy the Ryan Plugger. Of course all of this will be ops checked once I get the plugger off the truck and on the lawn. Operational control of the tractor while aerating will be the real test. And I plan to add some ballast to the FEL to help.

My comparison was the EA Independent Wheel Lawn Aerator with Alternating Depth Tines, 36” which weighs 667 lbs. The EA salesmen says it’s a perfect for the 1025R. If so, then this one weighing just 43 lbs more “should” be OK. Let’s hope and pray! Pics attached. I’ll report back after I try it out.
    rtgt, psrumors, jdforever and 2 others like this.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Forgot to mention the obvious, but the new Ryan Aerator already comes in the correct color
    jdforever and Herminator like this.

10. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements