• 2 Post By DCRanger
  • 1 Post By DCRanger

Thread: How Much Front Ballast?

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:03 PM
    Thanks

How Much Front Ballast?

Trying to determine how much front ballast to buy and I知 stuck.

I知 getting HH Front Weight Bracket and Weights to offset a new aerator which weighs in at 710lbs. Just not sure which weights to order. HH has some very good prices. I ran the ballast calculations from the the Medium Scut Thread Front ballast calculation? came up with, for the 1025R, 453lbs of front ballast to fully offset the 3PH Aerator.

If the HH front weight bracket holds 8 suitcase weights, here is what I was thinking.

Configuration 1:
    (8) x 41lbs = 328lbs

Configuration 2:
    (4) x 70 = 280) + (4) x 41 = 161) = 441lbs

Configuration 2 gets me very close to full offset (not sure full offset is required) but wondering if I can get by with slightly less cumbersome configuration 1? What do you guys think? I also have fluid filled rear tires if that matters.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:27 PM
    Thanks
    IMHO, I would only put as much weight on the front that allows you to steer the tractor.

70 vs 40 is not a question for me. I can't handle the 70s.

jdforever and DCRanger like this.
    3025e 60" bucket with parking stand kit, Ken's hooks, quick hitch, finish mower, brush hog, tiller, back blade, scoop, forks, Edge Tamers, weight bracket w/ trailer mover
    Z915B
    GT 245
    X500
    Bolens MTD GTH garden tractor (Dad's old machine)
    20' double axle trailer
    Previous - 2305, 2025R, Z720A, couple other zero turns

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 02:57 PM
    Thanks
    I have been going over this, I have some steep hills I will be mowing uphill with a bagger on the back. The consensus I have gotten is that you want at least half as much weight on the front as you will have on the back. That being said, if you are aerating on flat ground, the ballast I have is over 600 pounds, and with the loader on, I never have steering issues. If you aren't planning on removing the loader to aerate, I would see how the tractor handles before putting a bunch of money into front ballast.
    jdforever, theduke and DCRanger like this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    09-16-2019 @ 03:37 PM
    Thanks
    Unless running with your loader on is an absolute deal breaker, if it were me I would save the money and just scoop up a load of dirt or gravel in the bucket. The weight will be further out front which increases the down force on your front end as compared to the same weight in suitcase weights. Plus you can pick-up/drop said weight much quicker if you need to. I always grab a load of dirt/gravel when I am box blading. It helps tremendously!
    IndyFarmLife - (Adam or Chris)
    Check us out on YouTube - Indy Farm Life

Tractors: JD 4052R, JD 4105, JD 2520 Other Non-Green Machines: Case 580K backhoe, Grasshopper 928D, Grasshopper 721D, Husqvarna 390XP, 450, 455 and 460 Rancher

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    You guys are awesome! I mow about 2 acres and it痴 mostly flat. I知 not opposed to aerating with the FEL on and can always throw some gravel or some 40lb bags in there, but I was hoping to find something a little more compact and stable than the FEL sticking out front. It would also be nice to use the same suitcase weights for the LX4 rotary cutter, and the 3PH 50 Gal Boom Sprayer. I also have a 54 front mounted snow thrower so using the weights on the back could be useful, with a HH 3pt weight bracket.
    jdforever and PJR832 like this.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:40 PM
    Thanks
    DCRanger,

If you can see any relevancy, here's my take. My aerator and added weight brings my unit up to around 500 lbs. or so. I never take my loader off, but I usually remove the bucket when aerating. This still leaves me with more than adequate weight for controlled steering. Granted, I have the extra weight of the cab. I too, am working on flat terrain.

Since 3 point aerators are operated in a straight line, I find that the loader arms never get in the way. You can get only so close to structures, fences and property lines anyways and you have to turn around, back your aerator up to finish the row or run a border around the object. If you do need some extra upfront weight, as others have pointed out, leave your bucket on and load it if necessary. Another thought would be, if you have pallet forks, just mount the frame only to your loader arms, thus reducing the up front overhang, while adding weight. Using one of the above scenarios should provide enough down force for steering control.

Too address your thoughts on Heavy Hitch weights and brackets, I would invest in them no matter what. The rear 2" reciever/weight bracket comes in handy for too many applications to list. They would definitely give you another option for front end weight. When it comes to weight and ballast, I use several different configurations at times, even when doing the same task.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20190602_135559.jpg
    DCRanger and PJR832 like this.
    Greg

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!

2018 JD 1025R FEL /Mauser cab / 53" Bucket/Heavy hitch tooth bar / I-Match / Kenny's extended hook / JD ballast box / Loader mounted JD 54" snow plow/9" wings / Artillian 36" pallet fork set / Woods RTR48.30 tiller & LRS60 landscape rake / Howes 48" box blade /Heavy Hitch receiver/weight bracket / Heavy Hitch ripper/middle plow/subsoiler / Dual Alpena Hex Fire rear led lights / Bora 2" spacers / Land Pride CA1548 core aerator

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jdforever View Post
    DCRanger,

If you can see any relevancy, here's my take. My aerator and added weight brings my unit up to around 500 lbs. or so. I never take my loader off, but I usually remove the bucket when aerating. This still leaves me with more than adequate weight for controlled steering. Granted, I have the extra weight of the cab. I too, am working on flat terrain.

Since 3 point aerators are operated in a straight line, I find that the loader arms never get in the way. You can get only so close to structures, fences and property lines anyways and you have to turn around, back your aerator up to finish the row or run a border around the object. If you do need some extra upfront weight, as others have pointed out, leave your bucket on and load it if necessary. Another thought would be, if you have pallet forks, just mount the frame only to your loader arms, thus reducing the up front overhang, while adding weight. Using one of the above scenarios should provide enough down force for steering control.

Too address your thoughts on Heavy Hitch weights and brackets, I would invest in them no matter what. The rear 2" reciever/weight bracket comes in handy for too many applications to list. They would definitely give you another option for front end weight. When it comes to weight and ballast, I use several different configurations at times, even when doing the same task.
    Greg, that痴 a nice setup you have there! Thanks for the assurance and advice on using the FEL for ballast. I do have some forks but only the kind that attach to the FEL so not much help there. I will invest in some of HH痴 products as many like yourself recommend them. What a great company and from my home state to boot! I talked Greg from HH yesterday and he runs a 1026 with a very heavy roto tiller on the 3PH for doing food plots and then uses his front HH weight bracket for ballast.

Right now the new Ryan Aerator is sitting on a pallet in back of my truck. The guys I bought it from had a forklift to load it. I知 waiting for delivery of forks tomorrow to unload it. I have a natural loading dock on my property and will be using the FEL and forks and a LX4 for rear ballast, I plan on unloading it and then attaching to the 3PH. Will report back....
    jdforever and PJR832 like this.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks

1025R with 710lb Ryan Lawnaire Aerator on 3PH

Well I got my Amish neighbor to come by last night with his forklift to unload my aerator out the back of my truck. Today I hooked it up to the 3PH. As I mentioned earlier, this Ryan Aerator is a beast at 710lbs. I was a little concerned with the weight but the 1025R worked like a champ with an empty H120 loader on the front. I had 6-7俳f ground clearance with the aerator fully raised, although a little hard to tell as my grass is about 3-4 inches long here. Steering control seems pretty stable in the current configuration.

I知 thinking if I want to remove the FEL for aerating, I値l add the HH Front Quick Attach weight bracket. Only question now is which configuration of suitcase weights?Click image for larger version.

Name:	9F80C71D-9EAC-4106-B57B-1FA8AE85A8E2.jpeg
Views:	9
Size:	3.74 MB
ID:	697144Click image for larger version.

Name:	BA0B6D8C-6075-4937-BBE2-B8C1B1D163DE.jpeg
Views:	8
Size:	5.18 MB
ID:	697146

Just need to give it a good lube before it痴 first use and then let the fun begin!
    jdforever likes this.
    Gary

JD 1025R FEL / 53" Bucket/JD 54" snowblower/JD 60 MMM/JD LX4 4 Rotary Cutter/Ryan Lawnaire 48 3PH Aerator/Titan Pallet Forks/FIMCO 40 Gal 3PH Sprayer and a Phenomenal Wife that allows me to buy tractor stuff!

11. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements