• 1 Post By Tractor Tim
  • 1 Post By m1key1111

Thread: Stump grinder

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    09-13-2019 @ 03:45 PM
    Thanks

Stump grinder

Anyone utilizing a stump grinder on your 1025R and if so, what brand and model? Thank you.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 04:09 PM
    Thanks
    '05 JD 3520 Open Station w/ 300CX FEL
    Grandpa's '52 Farmall Cub
    A couple of old Gravelys
    Help a Vet and his dog

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mark02tj For This Useful Post:

Tractor Tim (07-27-2019)

5. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    So the 1025R can handle a stump grinder!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to msheron For This Useful Post:

Tractor Tim (07-27-2019)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

8. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:53 AM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,493 Times in 1,402 Posts
    When you watch the video of the 3rd stump being ground, (the one out front of the house) check out the vibration on the tractor and the tool box and fenders, etc. all vibrating pretty seriously. Sort of to be expected based upon what the machine is doing.

The stump grinder did a nice job for those common smaller stumps which seem to be everywhere a homeowner took down a tree or the person hired to take down the tree didn't grind the stump. I could see where it would be handy to have........

Looked at the website at some length and didn't see a price there, but found this

1P24 Baumalite PTO Tractor Mounted Stump Grinder

At $2,750, it about what I would expect it to cost.

This would be a good service for lawn maintenance companies to offer their customers, or for them to have someone who they can bring in to grind out the stumps for their customers. Its hard to find people in our area who come out to just grind out a stump and the few that do perform this service tend to use the large tow behind stump grinders and they have to drive the tow vehicle and grinder across the lawn to grind out the stump, which can be an issue with some stumps locations.......

Sure beats trying to take them out the "manual way" with chopping and pulling them out of the ground.......to rent a stump grinder in our area is $110 per day and they will only handle stumps up to 6" in diameter. Also, you have to have a trailer to haul the "portable grinder" on home and back to the rental place or you can rent a trailer for another $35 per day. SO, basically it costs the homeowners at least $150 to remove a stump if they have to rent the equipment, not to mention the time spent......

I will have to think about this one some more..............
    jdforever and Tractor Tim like this.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

9. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:53 AM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,493 Times in 1,402 Posts
    I didn't have the sound up during the videos but watching raised a couple of questions / thoughts.......

1. Since the 3 point hitch doesn't have down pressure, it relies on the weight of the implement to provide down pressure for its operation. At 350 pounds, the implement seems heavy enough to provide the down pressure to efficiently grind out the stump. The pivot axis on the grinder kept the grinder square to the stump even as the depth of the grinding increased and the 3 point arms angled down to lower the grinder into the hollowed out stump area.

2. I am already Using a rear view cab mounted camera and adding another camera mounted down low would be very handy to be able to see what you are doing and how the machine is engaging the stump. The view from the operators seat is tricky. I noticed Tim grinds each stump from the back side of the stump grinding forward so he has some view of the material ahead of the grinder.

Many of the grinders I have used or worked with grind with the wheel in line with the operator, instead of being positioned side to side as this one is because of the PTO drive and keeping the grinding wheel spinning on the same plane as the PTO shaft. I like the position of the 3PH grinder as its keeping the chips and debris off to the side and maintaining a better view of the stump remaining to be ground and a good view of the depth of the grind front to rear.
    jdforever likes this.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

10. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    Here is the company I found and the price is $2300......I was thinking with my future projects I have at my home and then maybe advertising to have a little side business to maybe eventually pay for the darn thing!

They state 20 HP at the PTO at least but I spoke to them and they said it works with a 18 HP PTO but they would not go any lower. I think the one Tim uses in that video the Baumlight is similar in design and size as well as weight.

WG24 Stump Grinder, Stump Grinder | Woodland Mills USA
    Last edited by msheron; 07-26-2019 at 04:11 PM.
    jdforever likes this.

11. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:43 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SulleyBear View Post
    I didn't have the sound up during the videos but watching raised a couple of questions / thoughts.......

1. Since the 3 point hitch doesn't have down pressure, it relies on the weight of the implement to provide down pressure for its operation. At 350 pounds, the implement seems heavy enough to provide the down pressure to efficiently grind out the stump. The pivot axis on the grinder kept the grinder square to the stump even as the depth of the grinding increased and the 3 point arms angled down to lower the grinder into the hollowed out stump area.

2. I am already Using a rear view cab mounted camera and adding another camera mounted down low would be very handy to be able to see what you are doing and how the machine is engaging the stump. The view from the operators seat is tricky. I noticed Tim grinds each stump from the back side of the stump grinding forward so he has some view of the material ahead of the grinder.

Many of the grinders I have used or worked with grind with the wheel in line with the operator, instead of being positioned side to side as this one is because of the PTO drive and keeping the grinding wheel spinning on the same plane as the PTO shaft. I like the position of the 3PH grinder as its keeping the chips and debris off to the side and maintaining a better view of the stump remaining to be ground and a good view of the depth of the grind front to rear.
    Can only grind going forward with this grinder.
    (See Tractor Time with Tim's main YouTube channel page)
    Tractor Time with Tim Web site
    Owned:
    2018 Deere 1025R

Sponsored (subsidized, loaner, etc):
    Ventrac 4500
    Case CX37C
    Deere 5075e
    Deere 2038r
    Deere Gator 835M HVAC

12. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:43 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by msheron View Post
    Here is the company I found and the price is $2300......I was thinking with my future projects I have at my home and then maybe advertising to have a little side business to maybe eventually pay for the darn thing!

They state 20 HP at the PTO at least but I spoke to them and they said it works with a 18 HP PTO but they would not go any lower. I think the one Tim uses in that video the Baumlight is similar in design and size as well as weight.

WG24 Stump Grinder, Stump Grinder | Woodland Mills USA
    You can get the baumalight for the same price.
    msheron likes this.
    (See Tractor Time with Tim's main YouTube channel page)
    Tractor Time with Tim Web site
    Owned:
    2018 Deere 1025R

Sponsored (subsidized, loaner, etc):
    Ventrac 4500
    Case CX37C
    Deere 5075e
    Deere 2038r
    Deere Gator 835M HVAC

13. Top | #9

Last Online
    Today @ 03:07 PM
    Thanks
    I have the Woodland Mills WG24 stump grinder and I've ground easily over 100+ stumps with it on my 1025R! It's an amazing stump grinder and I have zero issues with it. I've since upgraded to a 2025R and the stump grinder works even better.

Power wise the 1025R is perfect for the stump grinder, you can take 3-4 inches a pass on soft wood like pine, and 1-2 inches a pass on hardwood like oak.

The only cons with using a 1025R and a stump grinder is the 3 point lift doesn't have a lot of lift height to go over taller stumps, in many cases I had to bring my chainsaw cut the stump down and then begin stump grinding. One of the major reasons I upgraded to a taller tractor (2025R) is for additional tire height (which in turn gave more overall lift height).

The woodland mills stump grinder is also imatch compatible, you will have to move your top hook up and put some bushings on the pins.

I would recommend purchasing the additional 6 carbide teeth, I put them on after 2+ years and 100+ stumps and it's like a new cutter. The teeth easily come out and go back it, very easy to maintain.
    mark02tj likes this.

14. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:41 AM
    Thanks
    We also have the Woodland Mills WG24 Stump Grinder and we are very happy with our purchase. We will get a video up on our YouTube page at some point. There is a quick clip of it in our intro video if you go to our page. (see signature)

A very interesting nuance to this implement. It operates much better on our 4105 than our 4052R. The 4052R has an electronically controlled hydro-static transmission as compared to the traditional mechanical style hydro transmission of the 4105. The 4052R doesn't really give you any feedback as you drag it through a stump. Thus, it is easy to move too quickly and take a bigger "bite" than you want. It still works very well on the 4052R, but you won't think that once you run it on a traditional hydro transmission.
    IndyFarmLife - (Adam or Chris)
    Check us out on YouTube - Indy Farm Life

Tractors: JD 4052R, JD 4105, JD 2520 Other Non-Green Machines: Case 580K backhoe, Grasshopper 928D, Grasshopper 721D, Husqvarna 390XP, 450, 455 and 460 Rancher

15. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements