Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree75Likes

Thread: Quick question about pulling...

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    08-15-2019 @ 09:35 AM
    Thanks

Quick question about pulling...

Hi all, I have a new 2025r, with JD quick hitch and weight box. I may have to tow a friends tractor home...question is...I have no attachment points yet. I plan on a heavy hitch with JD weights but for now, can I tow with a rope around the top hook of my quick hitch? Can this damage anything? I plan on getting some bolt on hooks for my bucket, and I may put one on the weight box too. Let me know if I have to watch out for something here.
    Herminator likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:50 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,950 Times in 2,468 Posts
    Use a shackle and pull from the draw bar, that's the thing down low in the rear under the PTO.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, Trac-Vac 854 (for sale) and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Kennyd For This Useful Post:

Treefarmer (08-12-2019)

5. Top | #3

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:49 PM
    Thanks
    As a general rule, you always want your tow connection points to be below your axles. Lower is better.

Pulling from a point above the axle takes weight off the front wheels. If you tow something heavy enough or whatever you are towing stops dead for some reason, your front wheels will come right up off the ground and they will come up high enough to flip you right over. If your connection point is below the axle and the towed item stops dead, it puts MORE weight o your front axle.

Your 2025R has a hitch plate mounted below your rear PTO shaft. You can attach a clevis to that and than attach a rope or chain to the clevis.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:39 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JimR View Post
    As a general rule, you always want your tow connection points to be below your axles. Lower is better.

Pulling from a point above the axle takes weight off the front wheels. If you tow something heavy enough or whatever you are towing stops dead for some reason, your front wheels will come right up off the ground and they will come up high enough to flip you right over. If your connection point is below the axle and the towed item stops dead, it puts MORE weight o your front axle.

Your 2025R has a hitch plate mounted below your rear PTO shaft. You can attach a clevis to that and than attach a rope or chain to the clevis.
    Hi Jim, it is always good to go as low as possible, but I wanted to point out that the old “towing below your axle puts more weight on the front wheels” theory is incorrect. The easiest example I can show you is go watch a video of a tractor pull and you’ll see them raise the front even though they attach below the axle. The reason that two wheel drive tractors have weights on the front is to give the rear wheels more weight when plowing and, of course, to keep the fronts on the ground.

Still, lower is always better/safer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    3046r Cab, H165 w/61" bucket, Frontier 72"BB, MX6, and Woods TCR68" Tiller.

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:49 AM
    Thanks
    Trailers I pull from the iMatch with a 2" receiver mounted. Heavy stuff like uprooting trees or pulling a vehicle .... makes more sense to me to pull low from the frame. I installed this, not for a 2" ball but for maximum attachment flexibility (shackles etc)

2019 John Deere 1023E SCUT with 120R FEL
    iMatch quick hitch Cat 3
    Titan 3-Point 2" Receiver Hitch
    Titan 42 inch Chinese pallet forks
    Titan Chinese Ballast Box
    Field Tuff FTF-60PSR3PT Pine Straw Rake, 3 Pt - modified for 2" receiver
    Ken's Bolt-On Grab Hooks
    Ratchet Rake

9. Top | #6

Last Online
    08-15-2019 @ 09:35 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MacCool View Post
    Trailers I pull from the iMatch with a 2" receiver mounted. Heavy stuff like uprooting trees or pulling a vehicle .... makes more sense to me to pull low from the frame. I installed this, not for a 2" ball but for maximum attachment flexibility (shackles etc)

I looked at that mount...does it in any way interfere with the rear PTO?
    Tractor Tim and PJR832 like this.

10. Top | #7

Last Online
    Today @ 09:31 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MJFlores View Post
    I looked at that mount...does it in any way interfere with the rear PTO?
    There is plenty of clearance for PTO driven implements with this style receiver hitch …
    Tractor Tim and PJR832 like this.
    2013 - JD 1025r, 1952 Ford 8N 60" MMM, H120 FEL, 50" QA Loader Bucket, Home made Bucket Teeth, Titan QA loader fork back frame, Home made 66" Loader QA Snow Plow, Home made Land Plane. Home made loader QA Stump bucket. Home made loader boom pole attachment. Home made Landscape Rake. Modified HF Quick Hitch, Home made 3 point Ballast box. Betsco BX42-S Wood Chipper, Woods 60" Back Blade, 72" Befco Finish Mower. 5' Bush Hog Mower

11. Top | #8

Last Online
    Today @ 09:36 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Milharri View Post
    Hi Jim, it is always good to go as low as possible, but I wanted to point out that the old “towing below your axle puts more weight on the front wheels” theory is incorrect. The easiest example I can show you is go watch a video of a tractor pull and you’ll see them raise the front even though they attach below the axle. The reason that two wheel drive tractors have weights on the front is to give the rear wheels more weight when plowing and, of course, to keep the fronts on the ground.

Still, lower is always better/safer.

Actually the theory and physics are still valid. It’s just the driving power to the wheels is greater than the available traction, and drag created by what’s being pulled. In short, the front wheels would lift higher and faster the higher up the point of attachment.

12. Top | #9

Last Online
    Today @ 07:57 AM
    Thanks

Axle torque

Quote Originally Posted by rydplrs View Post
    Actually the theory and physics are still valid. It’s just the driving power to the wheels is greater than the available traction, and drag created by what’s being pulled. In short, the front wheels would lift higher and faster the higher up the point of attachment.
    We all recognize that the torque on the rear axle/wheels tends to live the front. If you attache above the axle, the tow line also tends to lift the front. Put them together and there's little except front end weight to keep the front wheels down. Unfortunately as the front comes up, the moment arm (horizontal distance of front weights) gets shorter. So when you hitch above the axle as the front starts to come up, effectively the front weights become less effective. That makes the front come up even faster and puts more weight on the rear wheels increasing the traction, again increasing the rotational torque.

Hitching above the axle is one of the deadly sins. If you do it often, sometimes even once, you will pretty much find yourself upside down. If you are lucky, your ROPS and seatbelt kept you alive.

If you want a simple, visual demonstration find a toy tractor. Hitch a string above the rear axle and let it go down a steep incline on a board. When it hits the end of the string, the tractor will flip backwards. Tie the string below the axle and the tractor just stops. Big, big difference even without an engine also trying to flip the tractor.

Treefarmer
    rtgt, SulleyBear, PJR832 and 3 others like this.
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

13. Top | #10

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:39 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Treefarmer View Post
    We all recognize that the torque on the rear axle/wheels tends to live the front. If you attache above the axle, the tow line also tends to lift the front. Put them together and there's little except front end weight to keep the front wheels down. Unfortunately as the front comes up, the moment arm (horizontal distance of front weights) gets shorter. So when you hitch above the axle as the front starts to come up, effectively the front weights become less effective. That makes the front come up even faster and puts more weight on the rear wheels increasing the traction, again increasing the rotational torque.

Hitching above the axle is one of the deadly sins. If you do it often, sometimes even once, you will pretty much find yourself upside down. If you are lucky, your ROPS and seatbelt kept you alive.

If you want a simple, visual demonstration find a toy tractor. Hitch a string above the rear axle and let it go down a steep incline on a board. When it hits the end of the string, the tractor will flip backwards. Tie the string below the axle and the tractor just stops. Big, big difference even without an engine also trying to flip the tractor.

Treefarmer
    Are you saying that a tractor won’t flip over backwards if hooked below the axle? Because that is most definitely false. It has already been discussed on this forum extensively.

The pivot point on any vehicle is where the tires meet the ground and NOT where the axle is. The closer to the ground you attach the more leverage the vehicle has on the object, or the higher up you attach on the tractor the more leverage the object has in the tractor. The reason you notice such a big difference is because tying above the axle vs on the drawbar can move the attachment point 3’ down or more which can essentially reduce the leverage by 300% or more and not because there was an axle involved.

It’s just like pulling down a tree. The higher up you tie your chain the more leverage you’ll get. The lower you tie the less leverage. The axle is not a pivot point because it’s floating in the air. I. E. There is no fulcrum at the point of the axle.

Now, if the axle was stuck in a concrete block then it would be a pivot point and pulling below the axle would pull the front down (of course you wouldn’t be moving and you’d have to assume the load was pulling you backwards and that the tires had less traction than the concrete. lol). The axle is floating in air. No pivot point. When the fronts come up the axle goes back regardless of where the load is attached.

As I have stated, watch a tractor pull, they hitch way down low and still pull the fronts off the ground. Big 4 wheel drive tractors get light up front which is a cause of hopping.

Regardless, lower is better.

3046r Cab, H165 w/61" bucket, Frontier 72"BB, MX6, and Woods TCR68" Tiller.

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast