Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By Zebrafive

Thread: Help with 420 loader

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    08-15-2019 @ 06:34 AM
    Thanks

Help with 420 loader

Looking to rebuild my 420 loader. It seems to be leaking a bit and the bucket is getting annoying at it dropping rate! My serial # is W00420X006583. Can anyone help locate which parts I need? Looking to have the hoses/lines made at a local auto or farm shop to help offset the cost. Also going to have a tractor guy rebuild the cylinders, he just told me to buy the parts. Thanks all.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:00 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,031 Times in 2,511 Posts
    Here is link to JDParts, it will be invaluable to you:

JDParts: Homepage

Attached is the seal kit part numbers, they are the same for all four cylinders. I wouldn't change hoses unless they are leaking or severely deteriorated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 420 lift.JPG  
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Kennyd For This Useful Post:

Zebrafive (08-14-2019)

5. Top | #3

Last Online
    08-15-2019 @ 06:34 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kennyd View Post
    Here is link to JDParts, it will be invaluable to you:

JDParts: Homepage

Attached is the seal kit part numbers, they are the same for all four cylinders. I wouldn't change hoses unless they are leaking or severely deteriorated.
    Thank you.
    The hoses are starting to become nasty at the ends where the fitting meets the hose. Splitting/cracking. If you put your finger on it, you will get fluid on them. Thinking this is part of the problem too.

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:52 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jorswift View Post
    Thank you.
    The hoses are starting to become nasty at the ends where the fitting meets the hose. Splitting/cracking. If you put your finger on it, you will get fluid on them. Thinking this is part of the problem too.
    Don't put your finger on a leaky hose,OR it might be splitting, cracking too. Sorry for being the Safety Police
    fdmars, BigJim55 and testedone like this.
    J
    John Deere 2030 w/245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 w/640SL Loader
    John Deere 285 50" deck Stolen May 2017
    John Deere x485 62" deck AWS
    Kawasaki Mule 2510 4x4 bought new 1996
    Ford F250 4x4 bought new 1978

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    09-17-2019 @ 07:34 PM
    I have a small farm here in Sugar Valley, Ga. A mountain top with acres of hardwood oak and hickory
    Thanks
    For me, if the problems are being caused by leakage and your hose fittings are coated with fluid, the easy beginning of the repair would be to start with what is broken, the hoses, fix them, and then stand back and see what happens...….Why worry about all those seals and such when it is something simple...…….Grandpa said, "if it ain't broke, dont fix it"...…….

9. Top | #6

Last Online
    Today @ 12:59 PM
    Thanks
    I rebuilt a 420 loader to put on my 4310 with all new generic cylinders and all new hoses. It still drops. I haven't measured the rate but it will drop with a load in the bucket as I try to work with it. I don't think the tractor ever had a loader on it before I got it but it came with the SCV. It's not enough that I am worried about it but I may try to figure out why one of these days. I'm told the SCVs leak down on these no matter what you do?

I guess to isolate the problem I would have to rig up a couple of ball valves to plug in between the SCV and loader. I could then raise it up and close the valves to see if it still fell.

If my loader hadn't been missing two of the cylinders when I got it from the junkyard I would have just rebuilt all the JD cylinders and put new hoses on. The larger bore cylinders I put on supposedly gives me the lifting power of a 430 loader and I got a heck of a lot more lift with it. I'm thinking I will never need or use the extra lift height. It increases the danger of flipping if I tried to use it loaded.

Here is the thread on my rebuild. Aftermarket Cylinders on 420 Loader
    It's not a perfect solution for everyone but it has worked out okay for me. I ended up putting my front wheels on in the wide mode to keep the hose connections from touching the tires at full turn. If I wasn't already planning to do that I would have needed to add some 90* fittings on the lift cylinder connections.
    John Deere 4310 tractor, New Holland 575E backhoe, John Deere F725 mower

10. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements