New Implement Ideas or Modifications to existing Implements
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: New Implement Ideas or Modifications to existing Implements

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:40 AM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,417 Times in 1,354 Posts

New Implement Ideas or Modifications to existing Implements

I have a couple of ideas I am working on right now for either modifications to an existing implement or the creation of a new implement to be able to handle specific tasks. Wondering what other ideas or needs that others have seen where either modifications or enhancements to an existing implement would improve its function or permit tasks or jobs to be handled more efficiently, effectively.

These aren't necessarily items which would have massive commercial application, or even for which a commercial market might exist. It just what enhancements, modifications, changes or other actions do you think would help make certain tasks easier, faster, etc or existing implements easier and better to complete a specific task or project? That's what I would like to see discussed in this thread.

I got thinking about this when I looked at the Big Tool Rack for a 3 point implement carry all. Not being sure how I was really going to use my rear 3PH carrier and also unsure if I would really use a $1,650 Big Tool rack, I bought a basic frame and built the 3 point carry all. That experience helped me tremendously and it also made me appreciate and respect the thought, effort, design and engineering that went into the Big Tool rack to make it successful.

I should start another thread, or resume the one from when I built the 3ph rear carrier to share what I have learned, what mistakes I made and what flat out doesn't work like I thought it would and how its extremely helpful and worked better than I hoped in other respects.

It might be helpful for others to hear my experiences and insight on the selected tie down and securing methods as there are a wide range of options and choices out there. If others working on rear carry all designs or ideas would like to hear the thoughts on the "tie down and securing methods", let me know and I will detail them for you.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks

Lawn Material Box

For this thread, I am going to start with something new I built awhile ago and have been using.

Idea One
    One of the two that I am working on is a pallet box which is used for a variety of things including landscape clean up, etc. I mentioned this idea many months ago and how i built the first one, where in its first form, I had taken an existing pallet and modified it to have a back and sides to hold small material, such as weeds when pulled, shrub and bush trimmings, etc. in quantity. I purposely left the front open so its easy to dump as well as load.

You can use a cart or trailer for this purpose, but you can't dump it vertically on top of a pile, you end up off loading the cart or trailer by hand which is time and labor. I have watched commercial guys trim and cut back landscape material and then rake it all into tarps, drag the tarps and dump into the truck beds, etc. They spent as much time loading and dealing with the tarp as they did actually doing the trimming, etc. Plus the debris in the truck has to be unloaded later, it takes up valuable room in the truck and it blows out when going down the road. For the homeowner, they can dump the box on their burn pile, recycle pile.

Round 1.
    My first run at it worked extremely well and was very helpful for landscape work which was occurring initially in my end of winter work around my lawn and more recently, next door to get a home ready to list for sale. Already, the item has changed numerous times just because some things worked and others didn't. For example, originally, I had the sides and back too low at about 4" of height. Why 4"? That's the material left from a crated item without cutting it.

Round 2.
    The second modification was making the sides too high and it didn't permit long debris to fit in the box. When you stack long items across the sides, they shift and drop material when its transported. The whole point is for debris clean up, not to leave a trail of debris when using the item.

Round 3.
    The third attempt and also mistake was making the sides square. Debris fell out the front, it was too easy to overload beyond the tractors lifting limit, it also didn't empty right. Plus, I ran into one of the square corners with my hip and it really hurt and put a deep bruise on my hip. Plus when dumping it, the front edge of the side panel hit the debris pile and damaged the side panels. The box also wouldn't enpty correctly because of the reinforcements used for the sides.

Description of what I will call "The Lawn Material Box"

The original base was a pallet which was covered with a piece of scrap thin plywood type crating material. This gives it a solid bottom and it is strong enough to be walked upon if needed. The rear of the pallet has a solid vertical back, which I made out of another piece of thin plywood which was part of a shipping crate for a drag I received via truck freight from Northern Tool last fall. The sides are the height of the rear of the 3 sided box, which also was the height of my pallet fork back panel. The sides are slightly tapered with the front edge rounded to eliminate any sharp points, etc.

Partial List of Intended Uses

A. This was very handy for piling on the weeds, shrub and bush trimming and branches and other lawn and landscape debris. I attached the base of the box to the pallet rack so I can dump it with the FEL by tipping the box as far forward as the FEL permits. The box stays on the forks. Its nice to be able to "stage" the "lawn material box" where the work is occurring and being able to easily move it with the FEL as needed. The sides and back allow the load to be significant, easily double or triple what would fit in the loader bucket on the 1 series. I had the box so full, I had trouble lifting it with my 120R FEL......

B. The box is strong enough to hold mulch and such material, which is also very handy for placing piles in the landscape bed areas to eliminate the manual hauling with the wheel barrows, etc.

C. Carry bags of lawn mulch, stone and not have the constraints of a rounded FEL bucket

D. Moving items which need to be lifted such as putting window air units or removing them, etc.

E. Using it as a vertical work platform for the SCUTS and CUTS, as I used it to trim the top of a hedge which previously required scaffolding to reach the top. Here is where self leveling FEL would be very handy and much safer.

F. It's a flat deck for carrying items like trees with root balls, flower pots and flower flats, etc.

Why Other existing Implements aren't as good for these tasks and likely other tasks to be thought of.

- The debris it carries is so small, a grapple, pallet forks won't hold it and you leave a trail of debris from the loading site to the dump pile.
    - A FEL bucket holds a fraction of the material volume so more loads are required
    - Anything on the rear 3 point can't be dumped or piled high
    - Mrs. Bear was using a trash curb cart and pulling weeds and she filled it. It was so heavy that I had trouble getting it to the curb for the trash truck. The trash truck split the curb trash cart in half, around it's center due to the weight. In fact, the cart full of weeds weighed over 500 pounds. It was eye opening how heavy weeds are when pulled and how quickly they add up. I gave the driver $25 and I got rid of the broken cart and got a new one. Plus the lecture about using the cart improperly ended.... But it was important because it showed me how quickly a cart could exceed the FEL lift limits on a SCUT or even a CUT..

Design ideas to make this as functional and practical as possible include the following;

1. The ability for The box to vertically store hand tools to increase its function, such as a scoop shovel, pitch fork, loppers or snippers, etc to help with loading it in various locations.

2. Different panel material, including Lexan side and back panels so its easy to see the load and also, so its easy to keep clean and durable.

3. An easy system to secure and unhook the box to the pallet, much in the way the FEL bucket and pallet forks attach to the John Deere Quick Attach loader securing points with the two snap pins.

4. I also want the box to be able to be knocked down so it can be stored flat so it doesn't take up much space.

5. Perhaps a pallet doesn't need to be its foundation. I started with a pallet because they are readily available and easily replicated.

6. Cost needs to be practical.

So, does anyone have any projects which an implement could be either created or modified to achieve goal or complete the task?

The other implement is actually one which I need to work on further before mentioning it, but is has commercial application and I KNOW a market exists for it.................
    glc, DRobinson, Herminator and 2 others like this.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:55 AM
    Thanks
    Sounds interesting, be watching this.
    Last edited by TJR345; 08-13-2019 at 08:12 PM.
    SulleyBear and Herminator like this.
    Tom

2019 X590 with power mulch control and PF bagger
    30" mechanical tiller
    02 X595 with 62" deck,front thatcher and powerflow PTO kit
    3pt hitch with Heavy Hitch 45 JD loader
    12 JD suitcase weights
    JD/Brinly 3pt plow
    Frontier SS1036 3pt pto spreader
    (2) JS63C walk behind mowers
    TS 105 JD weed wacker
    tow behind 15 gal. sprayer
    Turftime 60" lawn roller
    Turftime 54" 3pt core aerator

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:54 PM
    Thanks
    Already subd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    1025r 60d and h120 with bucket. Quick hitch with barbell and weights for ballast.
    Purchased 3/11/2017

Forks soon. Blade for the loader. Rio mod.
    So much fun to be had!

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:11 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,360 Times in 1,065 Posts
    we need pics of what ya built so far-Sully Bear.
    Herminator, Toughsox and Kbar like this.
    jim

2006 2520 mcut, 2004 x475, 1953 model 50, 1985 318-was my Dad's,
    king kutter tiller-60", frontier-stone rake, jd-4ft brush hog, frontier-6ft back-blade, frontier-forks, 48 inch forks,
    2-54inch jd snow plows, jd-5ft-pull brush hog,

2018 835R gas model gator-"aka" the Cadillac i say!! 6ft jd snow plow-which already has a dtac out on it. i got just about everything on it i could at the time

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:52 AM
    Thanks
    You mean like the piece I plug into the top of my rear weight bracket to hold my snow blower.

Got the idea from a guy in the mitten.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 85CDB527-6C96-4E33-8ABC-AC43847AB3D5.jpeg  
    Welcome to Intermission.

2017 2038R, 400, 3020 & HPX and thingies to hook to the them.
    112 - Sold in July 2017 but took me until November to admit I just cast it out into this cruel world.
    #compactfarmer

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:43 PM
    Thanks
    Someone had made a rack that could be fitting into a trailer, do not remember the size of the trailer. I do remember it was a metal (JD, agi-fab, or other). But it had weed whip, hedge trimmer, power cords, ladder, blower, different buckets for smaller hand tools.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:20 AM
    Thanks
    every implement should have a single/dual /3or 4 point lifting eyes to load /pick with a chain or hoist

also...a 2" receiver tube on the rear..

Dan

JD 955 ,70A loader, 60" mmm , Original I-match ,4' woods B hog , 5' Box blade , 12' orchard plane/driveway grader ,various other doo-dads & homebuilt implements. Goossen BFBlower, JakeRake..this thing is different.
    Kubota U-15
    Kubota RTV 900

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:36 AM
    Thanks
    Herminator likes this.
    I have more ideas than ambition.

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJim55 View Post
    we need pics of what ya built so far-Sully Bear.
    It's presently disassembled as I have been fitting some alternative panels, Lexan being one of them.......Once I put it back together I will take some pictures. Actually, the Lexan panels aren't much different in price than plywood, except they are light weight, very strong and also can't break (easily or with quite a bit of effort)

I want to get something that is easy to "Knock down" for storage and trying the different panel materials is primarily so I don't have to have an implement the size of a pallet sitting around. Worst case scenario, there will be a pallet like base, but even that is evolving into something which is not the bulk and size of the pallet.

I want to be able to have the side panel and back panel all pre drilled and use some type of quick fasteners (I am experimenting with Dzus fasteners as they are strong and simple and they hold on race car panels at 300 mph......)

That way, I can store the two sides and rear panel flat and then simply add them to the base when I want to use it. This way, the panels can hang up out of the way, etc.

It's a work in progress.......

I am also working on some snow plow wings for my snow plow and those might be in Lexan as well. Lexan can be heated and formed and then it will retain its shape and strength.....

Now that I think about it, the plow wings and the end panels for the Lawn Box share some common traits, rounded front edge, strong durable and flexible material (flexible so it doesn't shatter) need to be able to add and remove fairly easily.........

I also have an idea for the base where its simply the two sets of blocks to provide the platform the elevation to get under it with the pallet forks pretty easily. If I focus on the box being for the tasks I described OTHER THAN standing on it as a work platform, it simplifies things significantly. Being able to stand on the platform makes it a little trickier to design and build as it needs to be stable, a large part of which comes from using the forks spread for balancing the platform when stepping on it in different locations. When the pallet forks are not on the outside of the box for support, its too easy to step on one side and flip the entire box off the forks.

Ideally, the base would also store flat in a knocked down position. Not only does this make storing it easier, it would make shipping it should it ever go into production much easier as well...........
    Herminator and Toughsox like this.

1025R with Mauser Cab

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast