• 2 Post By dieseldoghouse
  • 1 Post By dieseldoghouse

Thread: Heritage of Cosmo and Tarter Broadcast Spreaders

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:56 PM
    Thanks

Heritage of Cosmo and Tarter Broadcast Spreaders

I did do a search but didn't find...anyone know if Tarter (Tractor supply) and Cosmo (Agri supply) spreaders are related? When I bought I was in a hurry (spelled Winta) and couldn't find/afford a Tarter with stainless business ends. Now I find Cosmo has stainless disc, vanes, agitator/entrainer. I'm doing surgery on my Tarter thanks to 2 years of rocksalt (even with rinsing when it wasn't blue-finger weather) - using delicate tools like, fire, cutoff wheel (I think an angle grinder at the bottom of a spreader cone had got to be more fun than Fortnight!!).

My point (yup-had one) the hole spacing for a Cosmo gearbox (PTO coupling fused on mine) identical. Output shaft length and diameter also supposedly an exact match.

So, think I can transplant the Cosmo gearbox then retool with Cosmo: disc, agitator, entrainer, tumbler bar inside the Tarter barrel and go?
    Unless somebody knows otherwise, Im going all in!

Oh yeah, think I dress it up with a (replaceable) stainless skin over the deflector plate to save the rock salt/fertilizer doing a slow sandblast on my repaint job...
    BigJim55 and mark02tj like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 02:05 AM
    Thanks
    I can't say for sure that the two spreaders you're talking about are related, but it wouldn't surprise me. Tarter puts other names on a lot of the stuff they manufacture as do other manufacturers of tractor implements.

At least you were able to find a gear box and other parts that will fit your spreader!! That's a good thing!!

Are you going to post any "before" and "after" pictures of the spreader rehab?
    '05 JD 3520 Open Station w/ 300CX FEL
    Grandpa's '52 Farmall Cub
    A couple of old Gravelys
    Help a Vet and his dog

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:56 PM
    Thanks
    Sorry I didn't get any before or during demo shots - the gopro cam probably wouldn't have fit in the cone with me and the grinder! Ive pulled the trigger and ordered the parts. Once here I'll get pics of the rehab. and (hopefully) the re-finished product.
    mark02tj likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements