Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: ProWorks Tree Puller

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:42 AM
    Thanks

ProWorks Tree Puller

I'd been thinking about picking up a tree puller for the loader to remove small trees around 1-3" in diameter. I looked at the Buckthorn model, Notch, and PalletFork.com's offerings. I ended up going with the model from ProWorks, (skidsteerattachments.com.) The Notch and the Buckthorn look like they're nice setup's, but the weight, (about 600lbs,) would really cut into the loaders lift capacity, and they were both in the $1500-$2000 range. The PalletForks.com model was a lot lighter at about 350lbs and the price was around $700 or so, but it was skid steer only and it would require an adapter to use it. The ProWorks model I found on eBay through skidsteerattachments.com's ebay store. The cost was only slightly above $1100 shipped, and it was very similar to the weight and lay out of the PalletForks.com model, but it was JDQA compatibility. Shipping was simple and the company was fantastic to work with, very quick to answer any questions I had. Ordered it on a Monday and it was delivered the following Wednesday.

Once I got it home I knew I would need to change out the couplers on the puller, since it came with 1/2" skid steer QD's. A big shout out to KennyD for all his help with my hydraulic questions, he was a great resource in being sure I bought the right parts. I also installed the JD 3r loader line kit for the 3rd function at the same time. That install wasn't too bad, it only took a few hours. The hardest parts was probably just removing the loader mount bolts to install the QD coupler mount. I had to unstick the spool in the eSVC on the back of the tractor since I hadn't used it in a few months. Thankfully that loosened right up without issue.

So far I've been pretty impressed with the puller. It works great for small trees 1-3" diameter. The only limit is the lift capacity of the loader. Some trees require a little back/forth movement, but overall it has no problem on the stuff I've been pulling. I bet it would be even better if I could use it on a 5 or 6 series tractor, or even a 4 with just a little more omph. I would definitely buy it again as I've been able to clear out small patches of saplings reasonably quick. I spend more time just moving the pulled tree to the pile compared to just pulling them. Some soft wood trees will just get sheared off by the jaws, so it's not ideal for all trees.

Next attachment is a grapple. I'll be place an order for an EA wicked 55" in the near future.

Rick
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0571.jpg   IMG_0548.jpg   IMG_0549.jpg  
    Kennyd, glc, Gizmo2 and 11 others like this.
    2017 JD X758 54HC deck, 54" front blade, Reugg Cat1 3pt, & Front Fenders
    2018 JD 3039r Deluxe Cab w/ Air Ride Seat & Mid PTO, 320r Loader w/ HD bucket & 3rd function, 72D deck, Horst Forks, Ballast Box, Landpride FDR 2584, ProWorks Tree Puller

2. The Following User Says Thank You to WH401 For This Useful Post:

Kennyd (08-15-2019)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:53 PM
    Thanks
    Nice looking rig. That thing looks like it will cut a 1-3” tree in half lol. What’s the max width on it?
    wentonbrown and PJR832 like this.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Kbar For This Useful Post:

WH401 (08-15-2019)

6. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 03:02 PM
    Thanks
    Looks great!! Had I seen that one before I bought my Notch I would have given it serious consideration.

You're right about a tree puller is probably more suited to a 4 or 5 series machine. Your 3039 and my 3520 are about the same size (yours has a few more HP) and, according to Deere, your 320R loader and my 300CX loader can lift the identical 1122 pounds. I also rock back and forth when pulling. I also use the curl function a lot.

I probably do my pulling a bit differently than you. I generally cut the honeysuckle or tree off, leaving 2-3' (sometimes more) above the ground. I chip the trunks and branches. Then I'll pull the "stumps" and pile them up to eventually be hauled off to the "yard waste" area at the local solid waste facility. I don't burn, nor do I (and especially Sweetie!) want piles of stuff around here. It's a lot of work, but I like the results. Plus, I have a nice sized pile of wood mulch chips to use on my garden beds.

I'd like to see some videos of yours in use. I really need to take some of mine working and then post them here as well.
    rtgt, BigJim55 and PJR832 like this.
    '05 JD 3520 Open Station w/ 300CX FEL
    Grandpa's '52 Farmall Cub
    A couple of old Gravelys
    Help a Vet and his dog

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

8. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kbar View Post
    Nice looking rig. That thing looks like it will cut a 1-3” tree in half lol. What’s the max width on it?
    Thanks. I think it'll accept up to an 8" post.
    rtgt, BigJim55, PJR832 and 1 others like this.
    2018 JD 3039r Deluxe Cab w/ Air Ride Seat & Mid PTO, 320r Loader w/ HD bucket & 3rd function, 72D deck, Horst Forks, Ballast Box, Landpride FDR 2584, ProWorks Tree Puller

9. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mark02tj View Post
    Looks great!! Had I seen that one before I bought my Notch I would have given it serious consideration.

You're right about a tree puller is probably more suited to a 4 or 5 series machine. Your 3039 and my 3520 are about the same size (yours has a few more HP) and, according to Deere, your 320R loader and my 300CX loader can lift the identical 1122 pounds. I also rock back and forth when pulling. I also use the curl function a lot.

I probably do my pulling a bit differently than you. I generally cut the honeysuckle or tree off, leaving 2-3' (sometimes more) above the ground. I chip the trunks and branches. Then I'll pull the "stumps" and pile them up to eventually be hauled off to the "yard waste" area at the local solid waste facility. I don't burn, nor do I (and especially Sweetie!) want piles of stuff around here. It's a lot of work, but I like the results. Plus, I have a nice sized pile of wood mulch chips to use on my garden beds.

I'd like to see some videos of yours in use. I really need to take some of mine working and then post them here as well.
    Thanks. Normally I work like you and cut the tree off and leave about 2-3' of stump to pull on. But so far I've just been pulling the trees as is. I don't like burning either, never have. I have a ravine down on the side of my property where I take all of my brush and keep dumping it. But I've though about picking up a chipper because I've been taking out a lot of trees lately and the tops of those trees take up a lot of room until they rot away. I've got a video of it in action, just need to get it uploaded.

Rick
    rtgt, BigJim55, mark02tj and 3 others like this.

10. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    If you get a chipper, be sure to get one with hydraulic feed. I've had both a "self feed" and a "hydraulic feed" and, trust me, you WANT the hydraulic feed! I have a WoodMaxx MX-9900. Bubber has the WoodMaxx MX-8800. We're both pretty happy with ours. For a lot less money you can buy a WoodMaxx 8H (there's more to the model number, but I can't think of it right now) that many people have been pleased with. It is imported, but WoodMaxx supposedly upgrades some of the parts to US made once it gets to their place. The 8800 and 9900 are both USA made. But they're also more than double the price.

One other thing that I meant to mention in my original post... I'm considering having someone fabricate a "3PH to JDQA Adaptor" so I can mount the tree puller on the 3PH. That gives about 1000 more pounds in pulling/lifting power. That will also require me to spend MORE MONEY with Kenny so I can get the rear splitter that he sells. I'll probably also invest in a hydraulic toplink from FitRite Hydraulics while I'm at it. Putting the puller on the back would allow pulling trees and just kind of leaving them where they lay and then just turning around with the grapple installed to pick up and move the pieces to where you want them.

Finally, be careful pulling full trees. Be especially careful if you're pulling stuff out around dead Ash trees! I was rocking one back and forth and the tree I was pulling rocked into a dead tree next to it and the next thing I knew, a big branch was coming down! It landed on top of me, but fortunately my stupidity didn't hurt anything but my pride that time. The weird thing was that a few minutes before this happened, I was thinking "I should put on my hard hat just in case"., so I put on my Stihl Forestry Helmet. I won't say that it saved my life, but it certainly saved me a pretty good hit on the ol' noggin!! So, be careful and look above you while you're working!!
    rtgt, BigJim55 and Treefarmer like this.
    A couple of old Gravelys
    Help a Vet and his dog

11. Top | #7
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    I am lusting in my heart for this. I have a BUNCH of trees that need pulling. I saw the exchange where this would be better suited to a larger tractor. I’ve got a 2038r. I’m thinking I can make it work, and if it doesn’t for any given tree, there’s always the backhoe.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. I already talked to the guy in AL and he assured me it will fit my 220r loader. He said I’d have to redo some of the connections for hydraulics, but that should be fairly straightforward.
    rtgt and BigJim55 like this.
    Bill

2019 2038r, FEL, backhoe, ballast box, box scraper, Artillian grapple and forks, Woods chipper, Brand X 3 pt log splitter
    2016 Gator XUV 590i
    2011 X534 all wheel steer, 54” deck 47” snowblower

12. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:31 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,950 Times in 2,468 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WilliamT. View Post
    Any thoughts would be appreciated. I already talked to the guy in AL and he assured me it will fit my 220r loader. He said I’d have to redo some of the connections for hydraulics, but that should be fairly straightforward.
    Fitment is a non-issue, it will fit. If you have the optional rear hydraulics on your machine, you can just run long hoses to the rear, or you can install a 3rd function from hydraulic kit from WR Long or Artillian.
    rtgt, BigJim55, mark02tj and 1 others like this.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, Trac-Vac 854 (for sale) and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

13. Top | #9

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by WilliamT. View Post
    I am lusting in my heart for this. I have a BUNCH of trees that need pulling. I saw the exchange where this would be better suited to a larger tractor. I’ve got a 2038r. I’m thinking I can make it work, and if it doesn’t for any given tree, there’s always the backhoe.

How big are the trees you're wanting to pull? And what species?

I'm pulling honeysuckle mostly. It's a shallow rooted plant. Big difference between it and other trees.

I just don't want you to spend the money and be disappointed. These tree pullers were originally designed for skid steers and if you find videos on YouTube, most of them have skidsteers doing the work. The video for my Notch tree puller shows them pulling Giant Redwoods. Well, maybe not that big, but certainly bigger than I can pull with my 3520. The video also discusses some of the advantages of their design which includes the ability to push under the tree, cut roots, etc. I can't do that with my tractor - at least not without tearing stuff up. You have to remember that a skidsteer is a completely different beast than our CUTs.

Just for future reference, the JDQA (John Deere Quick Attach) bracket on your loader is standard across the board for 1, 2 and 3 series machines. I believe the top brackets are the same as well on the 4 and 5 series loaders, but they have a different pin spacing on the bottom pins. So that's why KennyD is positive that the attachment will fit on your 220R loader.
    WilliamT. likes this.
    A couple of old Gravelys
    Help a Vet and his dog

14. Top | #10
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kennyd View Post
    Fitment is a non-issue, it will fit. If you have the optional rear hydraulics on your machine, you can just run long hoses to the rear, or you can install a 3rd function from hydraulic kit from WR Long or Artillian.
    Thank you. I already have an Artillian grapple, so the third function is there too.
    Bill

2019 2038r, FEL, backhoe, ballast box, box scraper, Artillian grapple and forks, Woods chipper, Brand X 3 pt log splitter
    2016 Gator XUV 590i
    2011 X534 all wheel steer, 54” deck 47” snowblower

15. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast