Ballast needed for loader on 2025r.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Ballast needed for loader on 2025r.

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    09-16-2019 @ 02:37 PM
    Thanks

Ballast needed for loader on 2025r.

Wondering what people are running for ballast on 2025r's. What amount of weight is considered enough? would 6-700lbs be sufficient for loader work and traction in the winter running the blower? The tractor will have a cab and rear wheel weights. I know I need more weight out on the 3 point to balance I just want to lock down how much.

Looking at going with a weight bracket that would carry 100lb suitcase weights, would give me some flexibility and opportunity to increase in the future if I ever upsize to a bigger tractor. I don't like the ballast boxes because of how low they are carried. I will trailer the tractor a fair bit and I want the weights to not hit the trailer when loading and unloading.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:35 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,604 Times in 1,218 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by quackaddict View Post
    Wondering what people are running for ballast on 2025r's. What amount of weight is considered enough? would 6-700lbs be sufficient for loader work and traction in the winter running the blower? The tractor will have a cab and rear wheel weights. I know I need more weight out on the 3 point to balance I just want to lock down how much.
    I strongly urge you to consult the Operator's Manual for your loader. It lists the specific minimum ballast requirements for your tractor/loader combination. Follow what is listed in the manual and you'll have no worries.
    glc likes this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    I strongly urge you to consult the Operator's Manual for your loader. It lists the specific minimum ballast requirements for your tractor/loader combination. Follow what is listed in the manual and you'll have no worries.
    According to the online 2r part for the 120r loader it requires rear wheel weights and loaded tires. No other information was given that I found.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    According to the online 2r part for the 120r loader it requires rear wheel weights and loaded tires. No other information was given that I found.
    You have to read further back in the manual. JD, in their infinite wisdom put the ballast requirements in the "specifications" section rather than in the "preparing the tractor" section. Yeah, go figure. :-)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 120_ballast.jpg  
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    You have to read further back in the manual. JD, in their infinite wisdom put the ballast requirements in the "specifications" section rather than in the "preparing the tractor" section. Yeah, go figure. :-)
    800lbs for a 2R? good lord.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    800lbs for a 2R? good lord.
    Why does that surprise you? The 120R has a lot of lift capacity.

Lift Capacity
    To Maximum Height (A) at Pivot Point 364 kg (803 lb)
    To Maximum Height (A) at 500 mm (19.7 in) (I) Forward of Pivot Point 251 kg (553 lb)
    To 1500 mm (59 in) (J) at Pivot Pin 434 kg (957 lb)

If you want to really blow your mind back up a few pages and note this tidbit:

"If the loader is equipped with a pallet fork, an additional 85 kg (187 lb) of ballast is required."

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Today @ 05:44 AM
    Thanks
    I have a ballast box and I don't know the exact amount of weight in it, but about 400 to 500 lbs. 800 lbs seems like overkill to me but I didn't write the manual. My tires are loaded too.
    2018 2025r, FEL, 60" autoconnect deck, pallet forks, some other stuff.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:49 AM
    Thanks
    You may want to consider dropping some weight for the winter when using the blower. Keep in mind that when you set the blower down and are using it, the weight isn't on the front end anymore. With too much ballast in the back when blowing you may find it hard to steer as too much weight comes off the front wheels. I would try it with just fluid filled rear tires and your rear wheel weights for that use and drop your 3pt weight. While my X585 is a lot smaller but I find if I put a couple weights up on the quick hitch on the front of the tractor when blowing and it works a lot better for weight on the front axle. If I don't have that weight, with fluid filled tires and my Heavy Hitch with 6 x 42# weights, it goes straight just fine but unless I pick up the blower, my front wheels slide more trying to turn than they are effective at doing their job. Besides with 4wd, the front wheels do help drive the machine.

For FEL work, go with as much as you can. I agree with your assessment of the ballast box when you have a tractor with a limited CAT1 3pt. Less of an issue when you get into the bigger machines.
    PJR832 likes this.

JD Z950R 60" Deck with DFS Collection System

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 48" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, 3pt Sprayer

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:34 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,508 Times in 1,234 Posts
    I like the idea of weights for adjustment. I usually use my box blade with suitcase weights hung on it, for heavy FEL you will want a lot of weight. When I'm moving round bales (600#) I run with the box blade, 4-70 lb and 4-42 lb weights, plus the weight of my iMATCH it adds up to 800 lbs +/- a few pounds. But it also takes some common sense, not all of my FEL requires 800 lbs of ballast.
    coaltrain and MagnumTrail like this.
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    2025R W/120R FEL/Titan 36" Pallet Forks w/round bale spears/Ken's Bolt on Hooks / 72" moose plow / Kawasaki Mule(The Donkey) 610xc w/ Warn winch
    60D Auto Connect w/mulch kit and Gator G6 blades
    County Line- 48" Tiller & middle buster
    Frontier- BB5048L & DH1066 & RC2060
    JD iMATCH
    Homemade cultivator/hiller/chisel plow
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Watch the 2025R on YouTube:
    Elk Creek Acres

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:56 AM
    Thanks
    Loaded tires and an implement like a box blade is all I have ever used. And I use on some steep terrain. On level ground the loaded tires will be fine as long as your not maxing your loader. I know the manual calls for a lot more weight but I have not had any problems. I use box blade when using forks since weight is so much further in front of Tractor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -Alex-

2018 2025R
    60" MMM
    120R Loader
    AV10F Frontier snow plow
    AP10F 42" Frontier pallet forks
    Blue Diamond Toothbar
    Kens Bolt on Hooks
    5 Ft KK Box Blade
    Carry All
    Single Row Cultivator