Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Looking for the best way to make a drag

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:20 AM
    Thanks

Looking for the best way to make a drag

I don’t want to spend 800 for a tractor supply chain drag. I would rather make one as pull it behind the disc. Here is what I have to my disposal. I have some 6ft grader blades. Honestly would like the drag the same width as my disc (14) I also have plenty or chain and 2inch pipe. Any idea on a design plan that will worth nice as right?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:57 PM
    Thanks
    Just tossing out some ideas....I sometimes pull a heavy steel beam and it works well I pull it from two points so I can put some angle on it since likes some angle to not pile up dirt in front of it...if I were to build one from grade blades I would make it pointed like a arrow and pull it from the point...
    Treefarmer, PJR832 and Kbar like this.
    John Deere
    5105M
    Caterpillar
    D4Hxl
    416C
    Gehl
    5635DX

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I’ve tried a steel rail road iron beam about 10ft with chain welded on each end. It worked for knocking down gopher hills or on sand but It would jump over anything that was somewhat solid. Angling it might would help but I think it’s not quite heavy enough. The grader blades seems like it would work and cut through the dirt. Just wanted some sort of plan on what people are using. Which worked the best. The chain ones you purchase for around 800 seem to break. The way they are made I see how it would work well though. Eats the ground up when it flows through each of the diamond patterns.
    Last edited by Iron horse; 08-15-2019 at 10:26 PM.
    BigJim55 and PJR832 like this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Today @ 03:08 PM
    Thanks
    Cross ties work well also. Or you can use chain link fencing with weight on the fencing. Use a 4'X6' piece.
    2019 3046r, 385A BH, FEL, JD Ballist box, 6' 3pt hitch rake, 4 way 48" snow blade, 7' 3pt hitch drag blade
    Zero turn Z445, 5' 3pt hitch woods mower, 42" Artillian Pallet forks W/Adapter for snow plow, Standard 3pt hitch receiver to move trailers.
    I haul the tractor with a 2015 2500HD Chevrolet Silverado 4X4 6.6L Duramax W/Allison transmission a 2013 18' 7500lb dove tail trailer made by Appilachian trailers.
    Stihl MS271 Farm Boss Chain Saw 18" blade, Piranha Bar.

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:57 AM
    Thanks

Heavy board

We used to use something like a 2 x 12 which was suspended on an angle from the top of the disk. Angle iron going from the top of the disk back about 3' and then angle iron pivoting so that the board was held at about a 30' degree angle or so to the ground. When we moved from field to field, we just folded the board up on top of the disk. It worked well but replaced by a rolling harrow which folded hydraulically.

A guy in our area made drags by bolting used tires together. He sold them for arena drags would you could do the same thing behind a disk. Those would be a little awkward to move but the only cost would be bolts, thick washers and a little chain.

Treefarmer
    PJR832, ttazzman and Kbar like this.
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:57 PM
    Thanks
    did you get something figured out yet?
    PJR832 likes this.
    John Deere
    5105M
    Caterpillar
    D4Hxl
    416C
    Gehl
    5635DX

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    No sir still taking ideas in. I’ve drug heavy stuff like rail road iron or cross ties even Cattle panels with tires on top. They seem to jump around or not work how id liked, works for thing such as gopher hill or dirt clumps. I’m wanting to level a pasture that will be smooth enough to cruise across with the tractor when moving or bailing hay. Right now there are humps everywhere from when it used to be used to grow watermelons (windows and natural drain spots since it’s the bottom of a hill) I suppose the disc alone will level a lot of that out...

I’ve been thinking about using the grader blades and welding a chain 12ft in between. I’d be dragging something flexible that that would cut the dirt. Still taking ideas in. It will be a couple months till I’m disking and planting oats.
    Last edited by Iron horse; Yesterday at 09:33 PM.
    PJR832 and ttazzman like this.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Or to put the blades at a cutting angle and weld 3 inch iron on each end (basically a square box with blades in it) Would not flex then but it would definitely cut dirt and move dirt....
    Last edited by Iron horse; Yesterday at 09:39 PM.
    PJR832 likes this.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:14 PM
    Thanks
    What you are describing is a box blade or land plane.

Go here - Metalworking Fabrication

There’s guys in there who have made their own stuff including what you are looking for. You are already halfway there having grader blades.

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kbar View Post
    What you are describing is a box blade or land plane.

Go here - Metalworking Fabrication

There’s guys in there who have made their own stuff including what you are looking for. You are already halfway there having grader blades.
    I own a box blade and a straight blade. that’s not really what I’m suggesting. Here is a picture of one I found and the design I had in mind. Except mine a drag not 3 point. Opinions?

Also, those chain harrows must get damaged easily. Lots for sale with holes ripped in them. Even the way over priced.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BAF55587-06BB-4A92-8FE0-1C431EF0C81D_1566099738747.png  
    Last edited by Iron horse; Yesterday at 10:45 PM.
    PJR832 likes this.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast