Green Tractor Talk banner

Ballast Box - what did I buy?!?!?

6K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  KHodges 
#1 ·
As some of you may recall from this thread ( JD Ballast versus Titan Ballast ) I was deciding between a JD and Titan ballast box, and upon the advice of many (and the great price) I went with what I thought (and was told) was a JD ballast box. After I bought it life got busy and I'm just now to the point of getting it out, making the modifications I'm planning and getting it filled with concrete. However, I'm not sure what I actually have. When researching the possible extension for it, I saw the extension apparently has holes where you attached the extension, but as you can see in the link (https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/675701869518978/?ref=messenger_banner) there are no holes in it. So here are my questions.

1) should there be a manufactures plate or something on this thing if it's really a JD? Other than the iMatch sticker and it being the right color, I can find nothing that says it's really a John Deere brand box. Almost all equipment I've owned has (or used to have) identification plates/labels somewhere. Is that not true for ballast boxes?
2) If it is JD, is this a model without an available extension? Are the missing holes something you have to drill and aren't already on the box? I just don't want to order an extension and discover my box isn't compatible with it
3) If it's not a JD, any idea what it might be? It certainly LOOKS like a JD, but at the same time ballast boxes are pretty basic, so.... *shrug*

At the end of the day it doesn't really matter I don't suppose as I just need it to hold weight. But I'd like to add the extension, if possible, and I'd kinda like to know just what I really have.

Thanks for the help!

See less See more
Reactions: eyeboltman
#3 ·
I have a JD ballast box, it does not, nor ever did have a plate or other identification attached or stamped into it as far as I could tell-it was just painted the right green and had the same sticker and SMV triangle yours has.

I can’t speak to the extension questions as I’ve never investigated adding one.

I’d be pretty confident based on appearance and construction that your box is genuine.

#4 ·
I bought my JD ballast box direct from the dealer and it has no data plate at all. Other then the JD iMatch sticker, there is nothing that identifies it.

You have to drill your own holes for mounting the extension. I've never seen a Deere ballast box that came pre-drilled. They may have sold them with the holes originally but the current boxes don't have them AFAIK.

Reactions: forphase1 and kylew
#6 ·
Looks genuine to me. I had to drill holes for the extension. Heck, my extension didn't even come with hardware which I think it was supposed to. Dealer probably shanked me.

#7 ·
When I was looking at the JD ballast boxes, the Cat 1 -> Cat 3 adapters had to be purchased separately.

I’m a big fan of ballast boxes as opposed to weight brackets. I don’t need the flexibility and don’t need front ballast. If I need to move a load of dirt, like today, I appreciate the 30 seconds it takes to install the ballast without getting out of the seat.

#9 ·
Thanks all for the information and great advice. Happy to know I've got a genuine JD box. I'll call on Monday and order my extension then. Much appreciated!

Reactions: Herminator
#10 ·
Looks just like my JD ballast box. Here is a pic with the extensions I added 2 years ago with concrete added. It weighed 1043 lbs after adding concrete. I was hoping for more. I left just a little tray at the top for obvious reasons.

I don't remember drilling any holes.

Dave

Green Machine Gas Plastic

#11 ·
#12 ·
Extension ordered, but won't be in before I go out of town for a week, so hopefully in 2 weeks or so I'll get this project moving along. Thanks again all!

#13 · (Edited)
I found this on Craigslist yesterday for $100. The lift pins are the wrong size however I can remedy that in about 30 minutes.
Now I'm trying to decide if I want to install some pvc pipe and fill the lower portion with concrete or add pipes then fill with gravel. :dunno:

Attachments

Reactions: jdmich and mark02tj
#15 ·
Now I'm trying to decide if I want to install some pvc pipe and fill the lower portion with concrete or add pipes then fill with gravel. :dunno:
What would the approximate weight be if filled with gravel? How about with concrete? I hesitate to fill one with something I couldn't remove if the need arose, but I'd like to be able to get about 650 pounds in mine, with the option of hanging a few hundred more in suitcase weights along the back edge. Still looking at them, so far I'm using my tiller or box blade and a few suitcase weights for ballast. Don't have, or want, loaded tires, I do too much mowing with it.

#14 ·
Done with addons and ready for concrete in the next few days.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.