Boy, a box blade is an handy tool!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree65Likes

Thread: Boy, a box blade is an handy tool!

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    08-23-2019 @ 11:36 AM
    Thanks

Boy, a box blade is an handy tool!

You probably already know that a box blade is a handy tool, but being new to this, everything is an "ah ha" moment for me. My friend has been telling me for a while that I should try to bring up some of the old pebbles and rocks that once were a driveway. He even said I could use his box blade. Well I finally took the back hoe off (and on, and off and...), hooked up the three point (not easy for a beginner, no instructions???), attached the Harbor Freight Quick Hitch and had some fun. Here is a video you can watch if you like seeing these little tractors get things done.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:35 PM
    Thanks
    Suburban: I've had box blades for over 30 years but a fellow member got me into this devil. "if" you don't want to move substance but rather loosen up a ditch, drive, garden, pull vines, anything wiched...make yourself one of these....it will go in the ground as deep as you like....back dragging is best.....but wow....what a devil.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN3934.JPG DSCN3935.JPG
    etcallhome, North585, rtgt and 8 others like this.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to machineryman For This Useful Post:

SuburbanTractor(08-18-2019)

5. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by machineryman View Post
    Suburban: I've had box blades for over 30 years but a fellow member got me into this devil. "if" you don't want to move substance but rather loosen up a ditch, drive, garden, pull vines, anything wiched...make yourself one of these....it will go in the ground as deep as you like....back dragging is best.....but wow....what a devil.....
    YES!!!! I like it. I have an old I-beam that I was going to get rid of, but I see what's going on there and I want one. Sure beats abusing my loader by pointing the teeth of my tooth bar down.
    rtgt, BigJim55, PJR832 and 2 others like this.

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks
    I made the plate plus quickhatch combo so I could mount my boom pole on front, plus whatever. This item I can work just a spot...keep a blade or box blade on rear then move the dirt....can work up a ditch bank or what ever...I have back drag with it on the front...this item bought from fellow member.....I considering the possibility of finding a rock rake and taking the rear tines and making a receiver hook up on the harrow....have invented several useful item...but this harrow was invented by another member.....
    rtgt, PJR832 and JD4044M like this.

8. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    The guy I borrowed the box blade from made a tooth bar last month. He's a good fabricator. I'm going to show this to him. Thanks for posting it.
    rtgt, Herminator, PJR832 and 1 others like this.

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:23 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,104 Times in 787 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SuburbanTractor View Post
    The guy I borrowed the box blade from made a tooth bar last month. He's a good fabricator. I'm going to show this to him. Thanks for posting it.
    The harrow spikes came from Argi-Supply as well as the special shaped U bolts that hold the spikes in place.
    Taking the easy way is what makes rivers and men crooked.

3039R, H160 FEL, 375A Backhoe, Artillian Grapple & Forks
    Z915E
    XUV560

10. The Following User Says Thank You to rtgt For This Useful Post:

SuburbanTractor(08-18-2019)

11. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:52 AM
    Thanks
    My box blade lives on the back of my 4720, it's an incredibly useful attachment and provides decent ballast for the loader when not in use. Shorten the top link to make the front edge bite or extend it a bunch and put the rockshaft in float (all the way down) for finish grading.
    Gizmo2, BigJim55, keane and 5 others like this.
    2010 Model 4720 with cab and H180 loader, MX8, MX6, Frontier BB1172 box blade, forks, bale spear, rear blade, WR Long grapple and tooth bar, Fit Rite Hydraulics top and tilt. 2019 Bobcat E42 excavator with cab & several attachments. 2019 Deere Z945M EFI ZTrak 60" 7 Iron Pro deck.

12. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks
    I'm going to finish my two projects this morning....need to do some seeding...so the harrow will allow me to rake in then straw...I'm doing some more studying as to how I can quick attach a rock rake to the harrow....this way I can also back drag debrie...trick is finding one I can salvage out.....
    rtgt and JD4044M like this.

13. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:23 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,104 Times in 787 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by machineryman View Post
    I'm going to finish my two projects this morning....need to do some seeding...so the harrow will allow me to rake in then straw...I'm doing some more studying as to how I can quick attach a rock rake to the harrow....this way I can also back drag debrie...trick is finding one I can salvage out.....
    Rural King in Owensboro has one on clearance. It has a couple broken tines. I don't recall the price they had on it.
    Herminator, PJR832 and JD4044M like this.
    Taking the easy way is what makes rivers and men crooked.

3039R, H160 FEL, 375A Backhoe, Artillian Grapple & Forks
    Z915E
    XUV560

14. Top | #10

Last Online
    Thanks
    rgtg and poster....could this be a viable design to add the rock rake....since the harrow really works the soil or gravel...then the rake would be lowered on demand to move the substance if needed...I believe the receiver will need a pivot or sleeve type adjustment for height...most of them have an angle and these are not excessively heavy as the same width of the rake if appropriate. I'm trying at this point to find a used rake at a good price for fabrication....I can see with the pivot that I can easily raise for harrow use only....believe a pivot would be better than the sleeve design....you're welcome to weigh in...and poster is going to fabricate one of these...also for the poster...the harrow could be welded directly on one of the loader attaching plated....the harrow will work much better on the loader frame for multiple use...however to prevent cylinder damage I would recommend back dragging...I found that on the rear it worked okay was wasn't as versatile....any comments on design plans appreciated....love this forum...bet equipment manufacturers mouths are watering.....
    Attached Files Attached Files
    PJR832 and JD4044M like this.

15. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast