Made a Bracket for Front Wheels on my M5 Brush Hog
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: Made a Bracket for Front Wheels on my M5 Brush Hog

  1. Top | #1
    JD4044M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:26 AM
    Location
    Okanogan, Washington State
    Posts
    2,713
    Thanks
    1,592
    Thanked 579 Times in 387 Posts

    Made a Bracket for Front Wheels on my M5 Brush Hog

    It has been used a bit and the edges are wore down from dragging it in the dirt? Price was right so no real loss! Beefed up the sides and at the same time I welded up the "14" Tall Wheel" supports. I welded in a solid axle on each side. They were extended thru a 1" hole about 3/8" and then welded on both sides real good. The wheels will make it easier to me mowing and not cutting into the grass near as much! I need to paint the hole Brush Hog still but this had to get done first. I will take a sledge to the sides to knock the dings and dents flatter then bolt it to the to first then sides last. 2 step process doing the brackets last. Made the bracket out of 1/4" thick angle iron 5" x 2 1/2" x 34" bolted to the Brush Hog. I added 2 tire bumpers and will trim them down some later before painting the works.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_4077.JPG 
Views:	26 
Size:	1.85 MB 
ID:	700826Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_4083.JPG 
Views:	21 
Size:	1.61 MB 
ID:	700828 The Brackets are just laying on the top till I take the dents out and drill the holes to put them on. I can remove the 2 tires just by raising the brush hog pull a keeper locking ring off each axle. Then it will be stock once more.
    Last edited by JD4044M; 08-20-2019 at 08:45 PM.
    glc, BigJim55, mark02tj and 5 others like this.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. Top | #2
    theduke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:13 PM
    Location
    NW Oregun...the Wet Side.... Gaston
    Posts
    869
    Thanks
    59
    Thanked 147 Times in 100 Posts
    considering something similar as the Hyraulics on the 8n are strugleing to hold it at the correct height.

    I was thinking caster type wheels of some sort.

    This gives me ideas...great idea.
    rtgt, BigJim55, PJR832 and 2 others like this.
    Dan


    JD 955 ,70A loader, 60" mmm , Original I-match ,4' woods B hog , 5' Box blade , 12' orchard plane/driveway grader ,various other doo-dads & homebuilt implements. Goossen BFBlower, JakeRake..this thing is different.
    Kubota U-15
    Kubota RTV 900

    47 8n......good times..V8 in my future possibly

  4. Top | #3
    ttazzman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:17 PM
    Location
    sw mo
    Posts
    493
    Thanks
    18
    Thanked 65 Times in 50 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by theduke View Post
    considering something similar as the Hyraulics on the 8n are strugleing to hold it at the correct height.

    I was thinking caster type wheels of some sort.

    This gives me ideas...great idea.

    look at pictures of 3pt finish mowers........be easy to do well on a couple of vertical pipe sleeves on the two front corners of the cutter then use a wheel setup with a peg top (like scaffold wheels) then just shim it up and down as needed......also similar to most zero turn front deck wheels ...
    BigJim55, PJR832 and JD4044M like this.
    John Deere
    5105M
    2140
    4500
    Caterpillar
    D4Hxl
    416C
    Gehl
    5635DX

  5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. Top | #4
    JD4044M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:26 AM
    Location
    Okanogan, Washington State
    Posts
    2,713
    Thanks
    1,592
    Thanked 579 Times in 387 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by theduke View Post
    considering something similar as the Hyraulics on the 8n are strugleing to hold it at the correct height.

    I was thinking caster type wheels of some sort.

    This gives me ideas...great idea.
    The wheels don't have to swivel it is like having a Tandem Axle or drop axle they track to the other rear axle and the rear brush hog wheel does all the turning since the mower is locked to the tractor and does not swing loose. You need what they call a "ZANE Thing" it keeps a 8N's 3 point set at the level you put it at. Zane off the 8N Board used to sell them years ago when I was on there a lot. I sure sold a lot of Nice 8N Parts in the past!
    Last edited by JD4044M; 08-20-2019 at 10:19 PM.

  7. Top | #5
    ttazzman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:17 PM
    Location
    sw mo
    Posts
    493
    Thanks
    18
    Thanked 65 Times in 50 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JD4044M View Post
    It has been used a bit and the edges are wore down from dragging it in the dirt? Price was right so no real loss! Beefed up the sides and at the same time I welded up the "14" Tall Wheel" supports. I welded in a solid axle on each side. They were extended thru a 1" hole about 3/8" and then welded on both sides real good. The wheels will make it easier to me mowing and not cutting into the grass near as much! I need to paint the hole Brush Hog still but this had to get done first. I will take a sledge to the sides to knock the dings and dents flatter then bolt it to the to first then sides last. 2 step process doing the brackets last. Made the bracket out of 1/4" thick angle iron 5" x 2 1/2" x 34" bolted to the Brush Hog. I added 2 tire bumpers and will trim them down some later before painting the works.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_4077.JPG 
Views:	26 
Size:	1.85 MB 
ID:	700826Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_4083.JPG 
Views:	21 
Size:	1.61 MB 
ID:	700828 The Brackets are just laying on the top till I take the dents out and drill the holes to put them on. I can remove the 2 tires just by raising the brush hog pull a keeper locking ring off each axle. Then it will be stock once more.
    be careful to lift when turning not sure how much side pressure you will put on the 3pt arms if you leave it down when you make a turn....other than turning possibly looks like it will work great
    glc, BigJim55, wentonbrown and 2 others like this.
    John Deere
    5105M
    2140
    4500
    Caterpillar
    D4Hxl
    416C
    Gehl
    5635DX

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to ttazzman For This Useful Post:

    JD4044M (08-21-2019)

  9. Top | #6
    ddinham's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:01 PM
    Location
    Eastern Kansas
    Posts
    3,549
    Thanks
    167
    Thanked 493 Times in 376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JD4044M View Post
    The wheels don't have to swivel it is like having a Tandem Axle or drop axle they track to the other rear axle and the rear brush hog wheel does all the turning since the mower is locked to the tractor and does not swing loose. You need what they call a "ZANE Thing" it keeps a 8N's 3 point set at the level you put it at. Zane off the 8N Board used to sell them years ago when I was on there a lot. I sure sold a lot of Nice 8N Parts in the past!

    I think you will find that the new wheels will drag sideways when turning. Not as much as if the tail wheel was rigid, but will still drag sideways. I have been thinking about how I could add front wheels to my 10ft brush hog like I have on my 110 inch finish mower, but have not yet been able to come up with a solution that is sturdy enough.

    Dave
    BigJim55, PJR832 and JD4044M like this.
    JD 4066R CAB
    JD H180 FEL with SSQA brackets, JD iMatch, JD Ballast Box & ext, JD pull behind seed spreader
    Frontier RB2196H 8 ft rear blade/hyd angle, Frontier BB1065 Box Blade, Befco 3pt 110 inch RFM
    48" pallet forks, KK 3pt Boom Pole, Northern Tool 3pt middle buster, 2 bottom Dearborn plow
    County Line post hole digger, Rhino 3pt 10ft brush hog, Land Pride 8ft rock rake
    Fit Rite Hydraulics 3pt Top Link, front 3pt adapter for SSQA, 7 1/2 ft Field Roller, 8ft Dearborn tandem disk

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to ddinham For This Useful Post:

    JD4044M (08-20-2019)

  11. Top | #7
    JD4044M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:26 AM
    Location
    Okanogan, Washington State
    Posts
    2,713
    Thanks
    1,592
    Thanked 579 Times in 387 Posts
    They will drag some but should turn like double rear axles on a truck. My hydraulics hold great on my tractor so the front wheels will just be light on the ground for when the rear tire goes in a dip I am hoping I can keep the mower more level? I will test it out soon as I bolt them on. I know I can pop the two wheels off in a few seconds with the key thru the axles and there not below the side steel. One reason I am bolting the works on just in case it is a flop. I can test it on my gravel driveway to see how it tracks and if the double axle pivots since the wheels rotate?
    Last edited by JD4044M; 08-20-2019 at 11:08 PM.
    PJR832 and ttazzman like this.

  12. Top | #8
    JD4044M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:26 AM
    Location
    Okanogan, Washington State
    Posts
    2,713
    Thanks
    1,592
    Thanked 579 Times in 387 Posts
    Mounting the wheels on a pipe so they can pivot would stop that I think? On grass it would seem the slide effect would not hurt the tires but on asphalt it would be way different. Just did some reading on scuffing and flexing of tires on tandem trailers.

  13. Top | #9
    Wyobuckaroo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:40 PM
    Location
    BC Bush, Canada
    Posts
    327
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 25 Times in 24 Posts
    Definitely going to do this.

    Have been thinking of adding skid plates to the front corners of my brush hog. This is better as the extra width will help with my uneven ground.

    Thanks for sharing.
    BigJim55, PJR832 and JD4044M like this.
    Keep your stick on the ice... Red Green

    The further north you go, the more things that can and want to eat your horse and you. Grandpa Gilbert.

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to Wyobuckaroo For This Useful Post:

    JD4044M (08-24-2019)

  15. Top | #10

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:23 PM
    Location
    Southwest Ohio
    Posts
    3,389
    Thanks
    1,134
    Thanked 800 Times in 581 Posts
    Always thinking outside the box, JD!!

    My first thought was also that the front wheels will drag in a turn. I'm sure you'll find out soon enough. If they do drag, maybe you can fab up something like these.

    You'll get it working the way you want. You always do!!
    PJR832, JD4044M and Kbar like this.
    '05 JD 3520 Open Station w/ 300CX FEL
    Grandpa's '52 Farmall Cub
    A couple of old Gravelys
    Help a Vet and his dog

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to mark02tj For This Useful Post:

    JD4044M (08-21-2019)

  17. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •