Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Front Receiver Hitch Uses

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Today @ 03:04 PM
    Thanks

Front Receiver Hitch Uses

I am new to tractors and I am curious what is the many uses for a front receiver hitch. For example the Heavy Hitch Front Receiver Hitch. https://heavyhitch.com/product/front...ries-tractors/

The uses that I know of so far:
    1. Trailer Hitch Ball for moving trailers around
    2. Attachment for a winch
    3. Heavy Hitch weight bracket. https://heavyhitch.com/product/8-sui...eceiver-hitch/

I am curious of other attachment or uses you have used for the front receiver hitch?
    Do you find the front receiver hitch very useful?
    keane likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 04:09 PM
    Thanks
    I use mine primarily for moving my trailer if it's loaded with dirt or mulch. Mine is mounted on my fork frame on the FEL. I wouldn't use it for a winch mount as that could put some strain on the FEL frame that might damage it.

I know some guys have a "trash can mover" that fits in a receiver. My driveway is only 350' long - something like that is for the guys with the 1/2 mile long driveways.

I've seen guys mount a "boom pole" in a front receiver. Again, that's one that's mounted on a FEL.
    rtgt, keane and JD4044M like this.
    '05 JD 3520 Open Station w/ 300CX FEL
    Grandpa's '52 Farmall Cub
    A couple of old Gravelys
    Help a Vet and his dog

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:35 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,604 Times in 1,218 Posts
    I have a 2-inch receiver on my loader bucket. I attach a Wilton ATV vise to mine and use it to hold my mower blades while I clean and sharpen them. I've also used the vise for welding and cutting lumber.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wilton_vise.jpg  
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:12 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,126 Times in 798 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stussy1035 View Post
    I am new to tractors and I am curious what is the many uses for a front receiver hitch. For example the Heavy Hitch Front Receiver Hitch. https://heavyhitch.com/product/front...ries-tractors/

The uses that I know of so far:
    1. Trailer Hitch Ball for moving trailers around
    2. Attachment for a winch
    3. Heavy Hitch weight bracket. https://heavyhitch.com/product/8-sui...eceiver-hitch/

I am curious of other attachment or uses you have used for the front receiver hitch?
    Do you find the front receiver hitch very useful?
    No, not really. But that is just me. As they say, "Your mileage my vary".

As the website says - I would make sure it wouldn't interfere with a front end loader if you have one.

I wouldn't think it would be too handy for trailers unless you are moving trailers in very tight spaces and it would be easier looking forward. A trailer mover on the 3 point would be easier for occasionally moving a trailer.

An attachment for a winch is the most likely use.

If you mow with your tractor like I mow with my ZTR, a tow point on the front would come in handy. For pulling / towing things with the tractor I prefer to use the rear drawbar.

I have a receiver hitch in my pallet fork frame. I have used it a few times.
    JD4044M likes this.
    Taking the easy way is what makes rivers and men crooked.

3039R, H160 FEL, 375A Backhoe, Artillian Grapple & Forks
    Z915E
    XUV560

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:28 PM
    Thanks
    In theory, a receiver hitch on the forks frame sounds good, until you go to use it
    and you've got to take the forks off ... and then put them back on. I've got one
    on my fork frame but have never used it. I move my trailers with a receiver mounted
    on a drawbar for the 3 point hitch.

JD4044M likes this.
    3025e 60" bucket with parking stand kit, Ken's hooks, quick hitch, finish mower, brush hog, tiller, back blade, scoop, forks, Edge Tamers, weight bracket w/ trailer mover
    Z915B
    GT 245
    X500
    Bolens MTD GTH garden tractor (Dad's old machine)
    20' double axle trailer
    Previous - 2305, 2025R, Z720A, couple other zero turns

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Today @ 03:02 PM
    Thanks
    I've used one like this (but 2") occasionally as an easy mounting point for a lifting strap.

Amazon.com: Rigid Hitch Enhanced Tow Strap Shackle Mount (TSM-125-D) for 1-1/4 Receivers - Made in U.S.A.: Automotive
    Last edited by MN3046; 08-21-2019 at 09:45 AM.
    keane and JD4044M like this.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:46 AM
    Thanks
    I have Receiver Hitches on both my Box Blade and Rear 8' wide Blade. They work great and I have moved trailers up to 11,000 GW and 4,000 lb water tanks with both and they work great just don't lift the front tires with a rear over load on the 3 point hitch! I can see the hitch on both from my seat looking back and real easy to do.
    keane likes this.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:13 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,031 Times in 2,511 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steveontheridge2 View Post
    In theory, a receiver hitch on the forks frame sounds good, until you go to use it
    and you've got to take the forks off ... and then put them back on. I've got one
    on my fork frame but have never used it. I move my trailers with a receiver mounted
    on a drawbar for the 3 point hitch.

The 3x42 forks on my Artillian frame are a breeze to take off and put back on, I do it all the time.
    rtgt, mark02tj, keane and 1 others like this.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:03 AM
    Thanks
    I have a front hitch on my Gator(factory on the 825i and new one also) and I made one that is on top of my loader bucket. Use them all the time for moving trailers, implements, and hay wagons, gravity boxes, snatch blocks etc. If you ever try to back up a hay wagon or gravity box you know why. We also push loaded hay ways with a push bar into hay mound for unloading and it much easier and safer facing foreword instead of backing.
    rtgt, keane and JD4044M like this.
    Thanks Bob
    Fire trucks are Red/Tractors are Green

2005 JD 790. 419 FEL, Frontier Forks, 6' brush Hog, back blade,7'FEL Snowplow.
    1963 JD 4010. 7' Lucknow 3pt Snowblower
    JD 24T Baler
    JD 14T Baler
    2013 JD 825i-Cab,winch,led lights 6' Snowplow.
    1951 JD MT.
    2011 JD Z445

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:33 PM
    Thanks
    You might attach a front cargo carrier like those you see on vacationers' SUVs, or a tool rack (I use a vertical 4" Pipe) if you already have something occupying the rear hitch.

You could also add horizontal outriggers to both the front and back hitches and use them to carry ladders or long lumber.{ Photo }
    This may not be relevant -- I don't know how big your tractor is, or if you have a pickup truck.)
    keane and JD4044M like this.
    X350 (2016) and Accessories
    Assorted Stihl & Grizzly tools
    My wife says that's all I need for my measly 1/2 acre...

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast