Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree74Likes

Thread: Ballast Box, type of fill?

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 12:01 PM
    Thanks

Ballast Box, type of fill?

In my 50 years of owning tractors, I've never owned a ballast box. Recently I was doing BB work in a couple of acres of trees then coming back with FEL to move the dirt. Some of the trees are fairly close together so I decided to remove the BB for clearance. I have wheel weights and filled tires on my 2305 but I still had a close call on some uneven ground with the bucket full.

Recently I purchased a JD Ballast Box with extension in very good condition on Craigslist. I'm going to place a couple of pvc pipes then fill the box. I'm studying the pros & cons of concrete vs. rock fill. I was leaning towards concrete however if a pipe were to get broken that might cause replacement problems. My only concern with rock fill is moisture buildup in the rock causing rust problems. My tractor is always stored in my shop however with heat buildup from being in the sun then stored inside there will likely be condensation forming in the rock. I suppose if using rock it would be best to drill drain holes in the box.

Any suggestions from members on either fill method?
    jdforever, SulleyBear and JD4044M like this.
    2305 with 200CX FEL, 62C MMM, Ken's Bolt On Hooks, modified HF Quick Hitch, turf & R4 tires. King Kutter XB Equipment; tiller, box blade, swivel blade, landscape rake & rotary cutter. SSAD 42" Forks, custom built Carry All & 8' Wagon. GrassHopper 725 D2, 2 Sears 42" Riders and way too much other equipment to list.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:26 PM
    Thanks
    I've had both in my BB crushed concrete and now concrete I just put in some steel tubes for tools and I like it much better. the only problem I had with gravel was moister even though I drilled a couple of holes in the bottom still held the moister
    jdforever, SulleyBear and JD4044M like this.
    Leo Kelly veteran
    "At Ease Gardens"
    "A place for veterans with PTSD to relax and to heal"

1025r with a Curtis cab
    frontier box scrape, frontier brush hog, disk set, tiler, HLA snow pusher, frontier forks
    and a few other necessary 3 point attachments

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:37 PM
    Thanks
    I filled mine with concrete on the front and back sides. I didn't want mine to weigh any more than it does, so I didn't cement in tubes. The center is open, so I can still carry things or add more weight if necessary. Check it out in the attached link.

What did you do with your SCUT Deere today? - Page 1072
    SulleyBear and JD4044M like this.
    Greg

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!

2018 JD 1025R FEL /Mauser cab / 53" Bucket/Heavy hitch tooth bar / I-Match / Kenny's extended hook / JD ballast box / Loader mounted JD 54" snow plow/9" wings / Artillian 36" pallet fork set / Woods RTR48.30 tiller & LRS60 landscape rake / Howes 48" box blade /Heavy Hitch receiver/weight bracket / Heavy Hitch ripper/middle plow/subsoiler / Dual Alpena Hex Fire rear led lights / Bora 2" spacers / Land Pride CA1548 core aerator

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:47 PM
    Thanks
    You may very well get condensation forming on rocks if you use them. But then you're going to get condensation on concrete too. The box itself may get condensation forming...

All of which is just to say, if it's going to happen, it's going to happen no matter what. I wouldn't let that issue be a driving factor.

I used pea gravel in mine only because I wasn't sure what I wanted to do long term and I needed a box in the mean time. I can always pull the gravel out if I decide to go concrete. Pulling concrete out would be a much more complicated chore.

I've had the box for 2 years now and still haven't figured it out.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:53 PM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,599 Times in 1,471 Posts
    I like the idea of being able to vary the weight if necessary so I would go with pea gravel or similar. Chances are you aren't going to want to lighten the ballast box, but at least you can if the need or desire ever arose. Let's say you decide to add something to the box and were going to be welding on it, etc. It would be easier to be able to work on the box if you could empty it.

The experience of when the rear of the tractor gets scary light is an eye opener for sure. Glad you are taking the safe route by adding the ballast.
    Gizmo2, jdforever, kylew and 2 others like this.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:52 PM
    Thanks
    I ended up going with pea gravel. Mine (no extension) weighs 640# with the Artillian wheels attached. With it up on the wheels, any moisture drains out the corners, but I made a HDPE lid for it anyway to keep the gravel from bouncing out and create a place for a toolbox to be bolted on.
    jdforever and JD4044M like this.

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Today @ 01:03 AM
    Thanks
    I put pea gravel in mine. I was going to put in concrete, but I needed the ballast in a hurry (before I could pour concrete into it) so I drove my tractor over to the local gravel pit (about a 2.5 mile drive on back roads) and filled it up. They didn't even charge me anything. So far I've had no need to pull the gravel out.

I might pull some of it out and drop in some old wheel weights off my Grandpa's Farmall Cub. Might as well put them to use. I'll drop in the weights and then fill in the voids with gravel again.
    jdforever and JD4044M like this.
    '05 JD 3520 Open Station w/ 300CX FEL
    Grandpa's '52 Farmall Cub
    A couple of old Gravelys
    Help a Vet and his dog

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Today @ 12:20 AM
    Thanks
    I too have the JD box with extension. Mine is filled with a witches brew of heavy things. Lots of scrap steel which is considerably heavier than concrete as well as pieces of granite counter top, limestone, sand, you name it. All free and heavy things.

My opinion: do not overthink it. At the end of the day it has one primary function - be heavy and provide counterbalance. Whatever you fill it with is going to work great.
    glc, rydplrs, jdforever and 2 others like this.
    2011' John Deere 2520, 62D Mower Deck, 61" Materials Bucket, 42" Frontline Pallet Forks, Imatch Quick Hitch, Ballast box W/Extension

1995 John Deere 455 AWS (For Sale)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to greenblinker For This Useful Post:

Kbar (08-23-2019)

12. Top | #9

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:19 PM
    Thanks

Ballast Box, type of fill?

Scrap nuts and bolts, window weights, scrap steel, granite scraps, chains are all in mine.
    Last edited by rydplrs; 08-22-2019 at 06:53 PM.
    glc, grnspot110, jdforever and 1 others like this.

13. Top | #10
    glc
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:49 PM
    Thanks
    It's too bad these aren't readily available. They are what I use in my box. I was lucky to get these from my work. They are calibration weights. These are old metric ones that we used. They are 44 lbs apiece. I have 12 of them. For heavy loader work, I use all 12. In winter I counter the plow with 5, and some other loader chores I usually use 6. Variable weight is an awesome plus for sure!

Being my box is 380 lbs empty, the 12 weights give me a 908 lb ballast box!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WEIGHTS.JPG  
    Last edited by glc; 08-22-2019 at 09:09 PM.
    mark02tj, johnH123, Kbar and 1 others like this.
    Greg from western pa

2009 2520
    FEL/61" HD bucket/replaceable cutting edge
    62D2 MMM
    IMatch Quick Hitch
    A "REAL" snow blade ---- JD 380A modded to fit
    Homemade 3PT Receiver
    Homemade Ballast Box
    Woods GB65 Box Blade

2019 JOHN DEERE X390 with 48" ACCEL DEEP DECK

MY 2520 SE SEAT MOD:

https://www.greentractortalk.com/for...d-for-the-2520