Question for 790 owners, box blade size?

Thread: Question for 790 owners, box blade size?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:20 PM
    Thanks

Question for 790 owners, box blade size?

I found a buy in a 6' box blade. I know the 790 will handle a 5' box blade, is the 6' to much for it?

Part B of the question, have you shimmed the pump and is it worth the effort. Did it make that much difference with the lift capacity?

Thank you for your time and reply.
    Have a blessed day

Rick

Yanmar 1610
    JD 790
    First Choice finish mower, Woods tiller, 6ft grader blade. 4ft boxblade,

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    SRG
    Last Online
    09-17-2019 @ 05:38 AM
    Thanks
    If the deal is too good to pass up, go for it. Just try to work it within the machines limitations.
    If buying new, I'd probably be looking for a 60" or 66" BB for that machine.

1997 JD 870 (28hp Yanmar), FWA, R1's, 300x loader, 61" bucket, 42" Titan forks, Pat's Easy Change.
    [72" KK box blade, 72" KK landscape rake, 72" Titan pine straw rake, 72" Express Steel snow pusher{XP24}, 60" KK tiller, 60" rotary cutter, middle buster, boom pole]
    2004 JD 797 (29hp Kawasaki) Z-Trak, 72" 7-Iron deck, Mulch blades, Carlisle AT101's.
    Stihl: MS250C/18", FS70R, HS45/18".

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:26 PM
    Thanks

Go for it

I think mine is a 5' and I can certainly load up the machine with it if I try. I wouldn't be afraid of a 6' as long as you realize you will run out of traction if you drop all the rippers and try to load it up.

I did shim my tractor as it was slightly below spec when I checked. I put in 2 shims and brought it slightly above spec, (the numbers escape me right now). It probably made a little difference on the loader but not a huge change. I have a 300 loader and have seriously considered putting 300x bucket cylinders on it. The rest of the loader is the same but the larger bucket cylinders would be an improvement. I haven't done it yet as dear Deere wants something like $675 per cylinder. I don't think I want additional lift but additional breakout would be welcomed.

Treefarmer
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:20 PM
    Thanks
    SRG , it is a 72" with a hinged back. An older farmer is getting rid of some of his implements, I can get it for about a 1/3 of the cost of a new one. I'll probably get it. He is holding it for me till I get back with him.

Treefarmer, mine has the 419 loader, 2004 model with 197 hrs on it when I bought it in January of this yr. Great tractor, I had read something about shimming and wanted input from someone who did it. Ill check the pressure and see where it is and may go from there.

Thank you both for your time and replies
    Have a blessed day

Rick

Yanmar 1610
    JD 790
    First Choice finish mower, Woods tiller, 6ft grader blade. 4ft boxblade,

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements