Like Tree45Likes

Thread: EA Grapple and Questions

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:01 AM
    Thanks

EA Grapple and Questions

Hi,

Received my EA Single Lid Grapple and after some difficulty - hydraulic pressure in the grapple hoses - was able to get it installed on my 4052R. I have a few questions for those of you who have this particular EA Grapple.

(1) When finishing a job, what is the best procedure when uninstalling the grapple, so I don't have the hydraulic pressure problem again? I have the button switch on my joy stick to open and close the grapple.

(2) Does the grapple jaw open and close with a smooth fluid motion, or as in my set up, is a jerky movement of the jaws opening and closing , the norm?

(3) Before using my grapple, I greased the grease joints, but how do you know when you have sufficiently greased the joints? Original post stated ball joints . . . incorrect on my part.

There will be a learning curve with my grapple . . .

Appreciate any comments.

FredSG
    Last edited by FredSG; 08-24-2019 at 01:48 PM.
    BigJim55 likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 01:00 PM
    Thanks
    I will start off by saying I don’t own one of theses but my guess is that you have air in the system that needs worked out.
    But just a guess
    BigJim55 likes this.
    2017 2038R, 220R loader, AF12 pallet forks, 6 60# wheel weights, ballast box, Dual Rear SCVs, Premium LED lighting kit

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:51 AM
    Thanks
    Your questions aren’t really unique to your particular brand of grapple but I’ll do my best as one who owns an Artillian diverter and grapple.

1-work your diverter (the joystick SCV) while pressing the button, most likely by having the tractor motor off but key turned “ON” this should allow the tractor side of the lines to relive and equalize pressure. When parking it try and set the grapple where there will not be pressure one one side of the cylinder or the other-for example-close the lid so the cylinder isn’t going to be pressurized by the weight of the lid trying to close.

2-The hydraulics and the cylinder should be able to give you smooth motion of the lid. You will either need to learn to finesse the lever SCV to provide a smooth controlled movement or you are pushing the lever SCV too far into “regen” which may cause erratic and jerky movements-do not try to open or close the grapple by pushing the SCV into the regen position.

3-“ball joints”? Does your grapple truly have ball joints or just greasable joints or pins with grease zerks? I’ve never seen this type of implement with true ball joints. If they are just zerks on a pin or sleeve-just grease them until the fresh grease comes out of the joint displacing the old dirty grease. Wipe off the old and excess and grapple happily.
    BigJim55, keane and JD4044M like this.
    2004-L130

2013-2032r, Curtis Hard side cab (project), H130 FEL & 61"bucket, Artillian Modular Grapple on HD frame with Diverter, 2300# Artillian frame w/ 36" x 3" tines, 46BH 9" & 13" bucket, Frontier RB1060, HLA 1000 series 60" JDQA Snow plow, JD ballast box, RK QH, Homemade 3pt multi purpose hitch, 117W of extra LED lights on ROPS and side Brush guards, Ken's bolt on hooks-3x, Ideal Knife grooved R-4's.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:30 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,031 Times in 2,511 Posts
    The advice balrog said is mostly correct, but I'll fine tune it a bit since you do not have a diverter system:

1. Before taking the grapple off, close the lid all the way, turn off the engine but leave or return to the key to the RUN position, then operate the buttons. You should hear the 3rd SCV solenoid clicking, this should equalize pressure in the lines. Now, if there is a large temperature differential from when you remove it to the next time, pressure can return in the lines on the grapple side, this is not uncommon, and there are a few way to relieve it:
    1A. If you have pressure in the grapple lines, you can either:
    -Wrap a rag over the male end and press against the frame to bleed a bit of fluid.
    -Use two wrenches to loosen the male coupler to bleed a bit of fluid.
    -Get one of our pressure release tool when they are released, hopefully in the next week or so.
    1B. If you have pressure on the tractor side couplers, follow the instructions in #1 to have the key in the RUN position with the engine off and operate the buttons.

2. Most likely you need to install a simple flow restrictor in one of the lines. Since you have a electric 3rd SCV, you can't "feather" it, so when you hit a button your pushing a lot of fluid fast into the small grapple cylinder making it move fast and jerky. A simple .030" inline restrictor will solve that issue.

3. No clue here, not sure what they are using for pivots.
    rtgt and JD4044M like this.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks Ken.

You wrote - 2. Most likely you need to install a simple flow restrictor in one of the lines. Since you have a electric 3rd SCV, you can't "feather" it, so when you hit a button your pushing a lot of fluid fast into the small grapple cylinder making it move fast and jerky. A simple .030" inline restrictor will solve that issue.

Exactly where do I install the in-line flow restrictor? On the grapple hose or the tractor end? On which hose would it work best - coming in or going out?

Thanks,

FredSG
    rtgt likes this.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by FredSG View Post

Exactly where do I install the in-line flow restrictor? On the grapple hose or the tractor end? On which hose would it work best - coming in or going out?

Thanks,
    It technically does not mater where you install it, if you had to put 1/4" couplers on your grapple then that would be a great place since they are readily available with 1/4" NPT threads. The "come in" and "go out" line changes depending on which way the grapple is operating, in other words opening or closing. You can install one in each hose without issue also.
    rtgt and mark02tj like this.
    Kenny

FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    09-17-2019 @ 04:06 PM
    Thanks
    I have the EA wicked 55 single lid grapple (and love it). I open mine fully and curl forward until the tips are on the ground (or pallet). I turn the tractor off and operate all the loader functions and my Artillian 3rd function button to relieve all pressure. Then I disconnect my grapple. Works great for me and the grapple is stable that way and easy to reconnect. No jerky motion for me. Good luck.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    1023e summer 2018
    Auto connect 54D Mid mower deck
    Rear imatch
    Grass 3 bagger
    120R loader
    Deere weight box
    Ken's bolt on bucket hooks and wheel lock pedal
    Artillian 3000# frame and 42" forks
    Artillian Front bucket
    Artillian hydraulic diverter valve
    CTA loader mounted 66" snow plow, hydraulic angle
    Woods 53" box scraper
    Everything Attachments 55" Wicked root Grapple

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tlawler View Post
    No jerky motion for me. Good luck.

Your 1023e has much lower flow (GPM) than Fred's 4-series machine, plus with the Artillian diverter you can feather the joystick-he can't. Apples to oranges comparison.
    Kenny

My Equipment:
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Ken,

Thanks for your reply.

I just read that there is an "adjustable "in-line flow control restrictor that I could use, or did I miss read? Do you know how the "adjustments" are made?

Fred

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Here are adjustable ones:

https://www.surpluscenter.com/Hydrau...l-9-7960-4.axd

Since it only works one way (read description) you'd need two of these.

These control both ways, you'd need only one:

https://www.surpluscenter.com/Brands...e-9-7961-4.axd

My personal opinion is that the added cost and bulkiness of these is not worth it in this application.
    keane likes this.
    Kenny

My Equipment:
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast