Like Tree277Likes

Thread: Snow removal decisions...

1. Top | #41
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:03 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,940 Times in 2,904 Posts
    DanW, Maybe a read through of this thread may help you...

https://www.greentractortalk.com/for...sing-year.html
    ChrisR, rydplrs, jdforever and 2 others like this.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Gizmo2 For This Useful Post:

DanW (09-02-2019)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #42
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:49 PM
    Thanks
    For more than 20 years I've managed my driveway with my trusty old LX277AWS and its 48" snowblower. Kind of a big chore in a big, heavy wet snowfall, takes about an hour to clear my driveway. I'm not sure what role my new 1023E will play...likely using the bucket to move the big piles of snow that the township plow pushes up against my yard (we're at the end of a cul-de-sac) but I'm going to see how it works for primary clearing and determine whether or not a snow pusher is needed. I did price a front-mounted snowblower for the SCUT, but for that money I can get my driveway plowed, promptly, by any one of about 50 guys for about the next 7 years. I'll re-think if somehow that LX277 goes belly up, but it's been amazingly durable for more than 20 years.

Last edited by MacCool; 09-02-2019 at 08:20 AM.
    Gizmo2, jdforever, PJR832 and 2 others like this.
    2019 John Deere 1023E SCUT with 120R FEL
    iMatch quick hitch Cat 3
    Titan 3-Point 2" Receiver Hitch
    Titan 42 inch Chinese pallet forks
    Titan Chinese Ballast Box
    Field Tuff FTF-60PSR3PT Pine Straw Rake, 3 Pt - modified for 2" receiver
    Ken's Bolt-On Grab Hooks
    Ratchet Rake

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MacCool For This Useful Post:

DanW (09-02-2019)

6. Top | #43
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:40 AM
    Thanks
    As they say, a picture is worth 1000 words.
    My previous plow equipped tractor. LX186, 42" blade. Used this for 27 years-

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20181227_124224.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	388.1 KB 
ID:	702978

The plow was usable up to around 6". Much beyond that, if it was wet I couldn't push it and if it was dry I got a lot of spillover unless I made the cut very small.

Here's an example of the snows I get every once every 3-4 years. This was 2016.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Driveway1.24.16.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	760.4 KB 
ID:	702976

I just have a hard time imagining using anything but a snowblower for this, but this little tractor has impressed me before...

PS: It took me close to 4 hours and refilling the gas tank twice to clear this with the walk behind.
    Last edited by DanW; 09-02-2019 at 11:38 AM.
    jdforever and PJR832 like this.
    "We're all ignorant, just in different subjects." - Will Rogers

Sold - 1991 John Deere LX186 w/48" deck, 42" front plow, 1993 John Deere TRX26 snowblower
    Now own - 2018 John Deere 1023E w/120R loader & 53" bucket, 60D MMM w/auto PTO coupler & hydraulic lift, Deere 3rd Mid SCV, iMatch 3ph, ballast box, ROPS Warning Light Brush Guard, Deck Dolly, Edge Tamers, All States Ag Parts Mirrors, Ken's Hooks, Heavy Hitch Toothbar, Frontier AV20F Grapple, HLA HD0942 pallet forks

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

8. Top | #44

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:40 PM
    Thanks
    It sounds like the only real reason you don't want to buy a snowblower is the cost. Putting the cost of the solution aside (and I know that's always a factor) the blower makes the most sense for you. Works for little snowfalls and big ones. One tool, no switching, just fire it up and get to it.

Every time I buy a tool that isn't what I wanted or needed it cost me twice. If it were me I would just buy a blower and be done with it.
    Gizmo2, DanW and BWV like this.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to quackaddict For This Useful Post:

DanW (09-05-2019)

10. Top | #45

Last Online
    09-12-2019 @ 11:58 AM
    Thanks
    I love my CTA 66" mounted on my QH. I agree that the 54" JD plow is a complete joke. The wings aren't worth the price either. If you have no plow at all the CTA is the way to go.

I still haven't stopped considering a snowblower for the front of my machine, it's just miserably difficult to justify a $3500 blower.
    Gizmo2, PJR832 and DanW like this.
    2017 John Deere x758 w/54" HC mower, 14bu powerflow, 4-way QH, FM dethatcher, 18 steel cart, CTA 66" blade
    2018 Ariens Hydro Pro EFI 28" #313 926068 - SOLD
    2017 Ariens 24" Platinum SHO EFI 921053 - SOLD

11. The Following User Says Thank You to nastorino For This Useful Post:

DanW (09-05-2019)

12. Top | #46
    GSM

Last Online
    09-11-2019 @ 09:39 PM
    Thanks
    Another vote for at least leaving the snowblower option open. In my case I have gardens along the drive so don't have the necessary space to push back snow all winter - and where we are in New England once it's frozen it will pretty much be where you've put it until spring.

I used to have a 425 with a SS 46 blower that was great and my current setup is the 1025R with a QH 47" 2-stage blower. No issues with any storm although if it gets up to around 10" I'll go and clear it and then do another pass later. The blower throws 20' without trouble. I would have got the 54" blower but got the 47" very lightly used with the QH for $1400, so I couldn't pass it up. I found it in the middle of June when prices were down so that was a factor.

Good luck with whatever direction you go.
    JimR, PJR832 and DanW like this.
    Glenn

Deere 1025R, w/120R loader & 260B backhoe
    Sabre w/46" blade
    47 blower
    Innovative Tractor Attachments Grapple
    Clamp-on toothbar
    4P cart

13. The Following User Says Thank You to GSM For This Useful Post:

DanW (09-05-2019)

14. Top | #47
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by quackaddict View Post
    It sounds like the only real reason you don't want to buy a snowblower is the cost. Putting the cost of the solution aside (and I know that's always a factor) the blower makes the most sense for you. Works for little snowfalls and big ones. One tool, no switching, just fire it up and get to it.

Every time I buy a tool that isn't what I wanted or needed it cost me twice. If it were me I would just buy a blower and be done with it.
    It's more like despite the cost, I want a snowblower. I know the limitations of trying to plow with the 42" plow on my previous LX186. Where I needed convincing was will I want a snowblower after I've used a plow on this tractor. I'm sure this tractor can plow much deeper snows, but how deep? If I could get away with just a plow, it would be a loader mount. Can't beat the ease of changing implements. But, if I go that route I've pretty much closed the door on a front mounted snowblower and having driven the tractor now, I know I wouldn't like having to drive backwards with a 3ph blower. Maybe if I had a larger carport where I could unload the loader and install the quick hitch and blower inside...

As you said, a snowblower works on big snows and little ones. Once I have one I'll probably use it for anything 4" and up, just to avoid the piles alongside the driveway. If budget were no concern I'd get the snowblower and a broom for anything too light for the snowblower. But only one implement is in the budget this year and I do know for most of the snows I get a blade can handle it and handle it faster than a snowblower.

Quote Originally Posted by nastorino View Post
    I love my CTA 66" mounted on my QH. I agree that the 54" JD plow is a complete joke. The wings aren't worth the price either. If you have no plow at all the CTA is the way to go.

I still haven't stopped considering a snowblower for the front of my machine, it's just miserably difficult to justify a $3500 blower.
    I just ordered the Deere 60" front blade and quick hitch w/hydraulic angling. A CTA 66" would have been nice but once you added shipping I didn't think the extra 6" was worth it. And while the CTA is also taller, since I've now convinced myself that I will be adding a snowblower the taller blade isn't that much of an attraction. If I could have found a used QH I would have gone that route. But since I had to order from my dealer anyway I figured I might as well bundle and hopefully get a better discount.

I know exactly what you mean about justifying $3500 for something I may need once every few years. But as mentioned above, once I have one it'll be used for snows the plow could handle but at least this way I won't have those growing snow banks along my driveway. I am the kind of guy that likes to have the proper tool on hand even if I rarely need it. The first massive storm that came along where I actually needed my old walk behind snowblower, I considered it paid for and every storm after that was just a bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by GSM View Post
    Another vote for at least leaving the snowblower option open. In my case I have gardens along the drive so don't have the necessary space to push back snow all winter - and where we are in New England once it's frozen it will pretty much be where you've put it until spring.

I used to have a 425 with a SS 46 blower that was great and my current setup is the 1025R with a QH 47" 2-stage blower. No issues with any storm although if it gets up to around 10" I'll go and clear it and then do another pass later. The blower throws 20' without trouble. I would have got the 54" blower but got the 47" very lightly used with the QH for $1400, so I couldn't pass it up. I found it in the middle of June when prices were down so that was a factor.

Good luck with whatever direction you go.
    For that price I'd get the 47" too. I've been searching for a used inventories all summer. I've found used 54" blowers but they're asking like $3000 while the dealer just quoted me $3295 for a new one with PTO shaft and upstop. No doubt I could offer less but I've always had terrible luck getting used equipment. Generally, not long after the purchase I find the reason why the previous owner got rid of it and by the time repairs are done I could have bought new. Maybe if I was very familiar with these blowers and knew exactly what to look for I'd feel a little more comfortable going used.
    rydplrs, jdforever and PJR832 like this.

Sold - 1991 John Deere LX186 w/48" deck, 42" front plow, 1993 John Deere TRX26 snowblower
    Now own - 2018 John Deere 1023E w/120R loader & 53" bucket, 60D MMM w/auto PTO coupler & hydraulic lift, Deere 3rd Mid SCV, iMatch 3ph, ballast box, ROPS Warning Light Brush Guard, Deck Dolly, Edge Tamers, All States Ag Parts Mirrors, Ken's Hooks, Heavy Hitch Toothbar, Frontier AV20F Grapple, HLA HD0942 pallet forks

15. Top | #48
    Last Online
    Thanks
    As I mentioned in the previous post. I just ordered the Deere 60" blade and front Quick Hitch with hydraulic angling. This is the direction I was planning on going but was second guessing myself as to what snows I could really handle with this tractor and a front blade. I'll get the blade this year and hope we don't get anything that has me wishing for a snowblower. Then put a snowblower in the budget for next year and probably never get another deep snow again.

Once again, thanks all for the replies.
    Gizmo2, jdforever and PJR832 like this.

16. Top | #49
    Last Online
    09-12-2019 @ 09:11 PM
    Thanks
    [QUOTE=DanW;3336000I just ordered the Deere 60" front blade and quick hitch w/hydraulic angling. A CTA 66" would have been nice but once you added shipping I didn't think the extra 6" was worth it. And while the CTA is also taller, since I've now convinced myself that I will be adding a snowblower the taller blade isn't that much of an attraction.

Congrats on the new purchase. Do you know if the blade will still be wider than the tire patch after being angled???? Otherwise you'll wished the blade was wider.
    DanW likes this.

17. Top | #50
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppi View Post
    Congrats on the new purchase. Do you know if the blade will still be wider than the tire patch after being angled???? Otherwise you'll wished the blade was wider.
    I don't "know", but if I've done the math right and the front QH does angle the blade a max of 27° then a 60" blade angled at 27° should plow a path 53" wide. (actually 53.46" but...). My 1023E, according to the spec's, is 47.3" wide with R4 tires so I should be good to go. I'll know for sure after the first snow.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast