Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree287Likes

Thread: Snow removal decisions...

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:38 AM
    Thanks

Snow removal decisions...

I'm still having trouble convincing myself which way to go. I'm currently leaning toward a front Quick Hitch mounted snow blade which leaves me the option for later adding a snowblower without having to drive in reverse. I have about a 200' driveway, paved with a slight slope, and a roughly 30 x 40 turnaround at the house. Most winters I average maybe 4-6 snows with those averaging 1-8 inches. Nothing any plow for my tractor can't handle at idle. However, every few years we get a 12+ storm and every 5-6 years 24+. Even 12" I suspect I'd be able to handle with a front blade but above that is where a snowblower shows up on the really really wish I had list.

Plan B, which occasionally oscillates around to plan A then back again, is a loader mounted blade and for the rare but occasional big one use the FEL bucket with a set of Edge Tamers. Thing is, I know how well a snowblower does in deep snows from the old walk behind I had. I'm not sure how well using the FEL bucket will work when we get a deep one. One thing it does have going for it is no $3000+ snowblower investment for something I may use sometime in the next few years. Although if I had the blower I'd probably use it on anything above 6".

For a little insight as to the kind of buyer I am. The first winter I had a walk behind snowblower it got zero use and I didn't mind. The second season we had a 30+ inch blizzard and I considered the snowblower paid for from that storm on. My other removal implement at the time was a 42" plow (14" tall) on the front of the LX186 tractor and a hand shovel.

So, from those that have been using these machines for many years of snow removal, what are your thoughts?

Thanks!
    "Wherever you leak, the world hangs a bucket." - Gallagher

Sold - 1991 John Deere LX186 w/48" deck, 42" front plow, 1993 John Deere TRX26 snowblower
    Now own - 2018 John Deere 1023E w/120R loader & 53" bucket, 60D MMM w/auto PTO coupler & hydraulic lift, Deere 3rd Mid SCV, iMatch 3ph, ballast box, ROPS Warning Light Brush Guard, Deck Dolly, Edge Tamers, All States Ag Parts Mirrors, Ken's Hooks, Heavy Hitch Toothbar, Frontier AV20F Grapple, HLA HD0942 pallet forks

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 07:21 AM
    Thanks
    Dan, I lived in CT for 68 years and moved snow, for the last 25 years, with a 314 and a 49 thrower. I used a blade on the 314 for a year or 2 but started using the 49 and REALLY liked it. With a blade, or bucket, YOU need to move the snow 10-15 feet from the edge of the pavement...so it does melt, run down, and freeze! This also leaves room for additional storms. With a blower/thrower, the machine does the work.

I don't know the $$ of a thrower/blower for the 1032 or the LX186 (IF even available), but I'd go for 3xx series with a 49...about $1000. Your yard, your wallet, your call! Bob
    Last edited by rwmeyer; 08-30-2019 at 02:45 PM.
    '80 317 w/18hp B&S and divert valve for rear hydraulics, 3 pt hitch, 5' york rake
    '82 314 w/rear PTO for tiller
    33 tiller
    49 thrower
    54 4 way blade
    Mod 48 deck & Mod 462 TracVac

4. The Following User Says Thank You to rwmeyer For This Useful Post:

DanW (08-30-2019)

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:58 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,061 Times in 2,226 Posts
    In my opinion the 54 blade that goes on these tractors is a joke - way to small.

I would opt for a loader mounted blade around 66” in length. With a loader mounted blade you can easily stack snow so you have room for the next snowfall. A plow like that can easily handle a 24” snowfall - just would take a bit longer.

I would also consider a pusher. I have a large intersection which you could consider a turn around I guess. A lot less back and forth with a pusher than with a plow.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

6. The Following User Says Thank You to coaltrain For This Useful Post:

DanW (08-30-2019)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

8. Top | #4

Last Online
    Today @ 07:13 AM
    Thanks
    When I had a 445 I got it with just a plow. It worked fine for 3x12”, 1x18” and 1x30” storms. At that point I was out of room to push it and got a blower as another big storm was on the way. I would have been ok for one or more additional storms if the plow was loader mounted, but on a quick hitch I could only pile it 6’ high.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to rydplrs For This Useful Post:

DanW (08-30-2019)

10. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rwmeyer View Post
    Dan, I lived in CT for 68 years and moved snow, for the last 25 years, with a 314 and a 49 thrower. I used a blade on the 314 for a year or 2 but started using the 49 and REALLY liked it. With a blade, or bucket, YOU need to move the snow 10-15 feet from the edge of the pavement...so it does melt, run down, and freeze! This also leaves room for additional storms. With a blower/thrower, the machine does the work.

I don't know the $$ of a thrower/blower for the 1032 or the LX186 (IF even available), but I'd go for 3xx series with a 49...about $1000. Your yard, your wallet, your call! Bob
    I've already got the 1023e, traded in the LX186 and walk behind blower. The decision now is, do I forget about a blower in the future and use a loader mount blade, or leave the blower option open and go with the (more limited, a little more labor to install) Quick Hitch blade. Driving in reverse with the blower is not an option.
    greenharley and PJR832 like this.

Sold - 1991 John Deere LX186 w/48" deck, 42" front plow, 1993 John Deere TRX26 snowblower
    Now own - 2018 John Deere 1023E w/120R loader & 53" bucket, 60D MMM w/auto PTO coupler & hydraulic lift, Deere 3rd Mid SCV, iMatch 3ph, ballast box, ROPS Warning Light Brush Guard, Deck Dolly, Edge Tamers, All States Ag Parts Mirrors, Ken's Hooks, Heavy Hitch Toothbar, Frontier AV20F Grapple, HLA HD0942 pallet forks

11. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    Isn’t there a 66” CTA plow for the quick hitch? There’s also 54 extensions/rubber widening kits, or an artilian (?) mount for a quick hitch mounted to the loader?

If you want a blower later you can get great used ones for 2-2500 with a hitch and mid shaft, just not when a storm is forecast.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to rydplrs For This Useful Post:

DanW (08-30-2019)

13. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    In my opinion the 54 blade that goes on these tractors is a joke - way to small.
    A 54" blade was never an option, unless I found a good cheap used one then I'd add the wings. If I go with a front QH blade it'll be either the Deere 60" or the CTA 60, (or maybe 66").

I would opt for a loader mounted blade around 66” in length. With a loader mounted blade you can easily stack snow so you have room for the next snowfall. A plow like that can easily handle a 24” snowfall - just would take a bit longer.
    For a loader mount blade my choice is between the Frontier AF10F or CTA 60/66 inch. Leaning toward the CTA-66 if I go this way. Good to hear it can take a 24" snowfall. If there calling for more I can always plow mid storm. The only thing I don't like about this route is it essentially eliminates the option for a snowblower later. That may not be a problem though.

I would also consider a pusher. I have a large intersection which you could consider a turn around I guess. A lot less back and forth with a pusher than with a plow.
    A pusher would be nice for the turnaround, but after using the fel bucket as a pseudo pusher last year I prefer a blade I can angle and just run the length of the driveway as opposed to fill the bucket, angle, dump, back up and repeat.
    OxPath, greenharley and PJR832 like this.

14. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rydplrs View Post
    When I had a 445 I got it with just a plow. It worked fine for 3x12”, 1x18” and 1x30” storms. At that point I was out of room to push it and got a blower as another big storm was on the way. I would have been ok for one or more additional storms if the plow was loader mounted, but on a quick hitch I could only pile it 6’ high.
    Thanks. That's the advantage of the FEL mounted blade. I can just push the piles back if needed. Of course, with a blower the piles are already pretty far back...

15. Top | #9

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DanW View Post
    Thanks. That's the advantage of the FEL mounted blade. I can just push the piles back if needed. Of course, with a blower the piles are already pretty far back...
    You can stack it higher, but if the banks aren’t from that storm you aren’t moving them back. Once frozen they are there until spring unless you want to move them one bucket at a time. Been there, done that. The city didn’t clear my sidewalk one storm, after a week it was obvious I had to do it if I wanted mail. It was a lot of hard digging. Even big loaders can’t move old banks without a ton of effort.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to rydplrs For This Useful Post:

DanW (08-30-2019)

17. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rydplrs View Post
    Isn’t there a 66” CTA plow for the quick hitch? There’s also 54 extensions/rubber widening kits, or an artilian (?) mount for a quick hitch mounted to the loader?

If you want a blower later you can get great used ones for 2-2500 with a hitch and mid shaft, just not when a storm is forecast.
    CTA makes both a 60 and 66 inch blade and offer it for a quick hitch as well as loader mount. Thing is deciding between QH and loader mount determines if the snowblower is an option later.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast