Mower deck attachment?

Thread: Mower deck attachment?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    09-07-2019 @ 06:57 PM
    Thanks

Mower deck attachment?

Hey gang FNG here. I am trying to help out a friend of ours to get his Model B ready to cut some grass. He has mower deck for it already. It looks like the PTO shaft that connects to the deck is missing. He tried to get the local JD store to help out but they did not.

Here are some pics of the setup he has right now. Also a pic of him sitting on it. I appreciate any help you can give.

Tractor side

Deck side

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 02:20 PM
    Thanks
    Is there a yoke and joint on the mower side? Or is that square tube permanently affixed to the gearbox? A photo of the connection at the gearbox would help a lot, as would the outer dimensions of that square tubing.

Edit: looks like square drive shafts are known as Weasler pto, you should verify the dimensions, but if that's the case, parts appear to be readily available.
    Last edited by The Satch; 08-31-2019 at 10:44 AM.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 04:08 PM
    Thanks
    Missing lots of info here so I wouldn't expect much as far as specific solutions.

You need a PTO shaft of the correct length and size. Most PTO shafts you'll find in any farm supply store will be setup for 1 3/8" PTO stubs on both the tractor and the implement.

If my brain isn't completely shot, as I recall the old Deere B has a 1 1/8" PTO shaft. So you'd need some sort of adapter to convert from 1 1/8" to 1 3/8" on the tractor end. (Measure the stub before going out shopping to be sure!) Lots of guys want an override clutch on a PTO shaft for any type of rear mounted mower so if you can find one with the correct input/output shaft sizes, it can double as your size converter for you.

You'd have to check the mower deck and see what size the PTO input stub is on that. Without knowing the make/model there is no way to look that info up.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:14 PM
    Thanks
    Reading this

John Deere Model B

Looks like His is the newer version and should have standard 1 3/8" pto

The square or rectangle pto shafts are avl. but no one around me stocks them. Just the tri-oval kind.

New holland dealer had many sizes in stock with quick connects on both ends or one end set up for round shaft on mower gearbox.

Yes get an over run clutch......about 40 bucks

Need Pic of Mower /gearbox area to give much more info
    Dan

JD 955 ,70A loader, 60" mmm , Original I-match ,4' woods B hog , 5' Box blade , 12' orchard plane/driveway grader ,various other doo-dads & homebuilt implements. Goossen BFBlower, JakeRake..this thing is different.
    Kubota U-15
    Kubota RTV 900

47 8n......good times..V8 in my future possibly

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by The Satch View Post
    Is there a yoke and joint on the mower side? Or is that square tube permanently affixed to the gearbox? A photo of the connection at the gearbox would help a lot, as would the outer dimensions of that square tubing.

Edit: looks like square drive shafts are known as Weasler pto, you should verify the dimensions, but if that's the case, parts appear to be readily available.
    Yes there is another yoke on the mower side. And the square tube is attached to it. I should have took more pics of it. I will get more and post them with some dimensions. Thanks for your info.

Quote Originally Posted by JimR View Post
    Missing lots of info here so I wouldn't expect much as far as specific solutions.

You need a PTO shaft of the correct length and size. Most PTO shafts you'll find in any farm supply store will be setup for 1 3/8" PTO stubs on both the tractor and the implement.

If my brain isn't completely shot, as I recall the old Deere B has a 1 1/8" PTO shaft. So you'd need some sort of adapter to convert from 1 1/8" to 1 3/8" on the tractor end. (Measure the stub before going out shopping to be sure!) Lots of guys want an override clutch on a PTO shaft for any type of rear mounted mower so if you can find one with the correct input/output shaft sizes, it can double as your size converter for you.

You'd have to check the mower deck and see what size the PTO input stub is on that. Without knowing the make/model there is no way to look that info up.
    Sorry for the lack info. I wasn't really sure at the time what all to get. I will take more pics and get some measurements.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by theduke View Post
    Reading this

John Deere Model B

Looks like His is the newer version and should have standard 1 3/8" pto

The square or rectangle pto shafts are avl. but no one around me stocks them. Just the tri-oval kind.

New holland dealer had many sizes in stock with quick connects on both ends or one end set up for round shaft on mower gearbox.

Yes get an over run clutch......about 40 bucks

Need Pic of Mower /gearbox area to give much more info
    I will get some info when I head over there. Thanks for the info.

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    I got some more pics today.

Mower deck

Deck shaft

PTO side

Full setup

Thanks again!

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Today @ 02:20 PM
    Thanks
    This is the closest i could find tonight, though I don't believe it will fit your friends mower side shaft:

https://www.paulbparts.com/product/w...3-rectangular/

It's rectangular, something you will want to check on the mower shaft, but the inner width is 11/8", and your measurement sure looks like 1.25".

Looks like he's already got a slip clutch installed right in front of the gearbox, so you will want to make sure that is adjusted correctly. I haven't had to do that, hopefully one of the other guys will explain that process.

You might have to call around to find the tractor side shaft that you need. I believe what i linked is a shaft only, with no joint or coupler, but it's awefully expensive if that's the case. The other option is to buy a complete shaft, and cut the old joint off of the plate that bolts to the clutch, and weld the new shaft in its place. Then you could just pick any complete shaft that was looking enough.

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by The Satch View Post
    This is the closest i could find tonight, though I don't believe it will fit your friends mower side shaft:

https://www.paulbparts.com/product/w...3-rectangular/

It's rectangular, something you will want to check on the mower shaft, but the inner width is 11/8", and your measurement sure looks like 1.25".

Looks like he's already got a slip clutch installed right in front of the gearbox, so you will want to make sure that is adjusted correctly. I haven't had to do that, hopefully one of the other guys will explain that process.

You might have to call around to find the tractor side shaft that you need. I believe what i linked is a shaft only, with no joint or coupler, but it's awefully expensive if that's the case. The other option is to buy a complete shaft, and cut the old joint off of the plate that bolts to the clutch, and weld the new shaft in its place. Then you could just pick any complete shaft that was looking enough.
    Great thank you for the info. I start digging into it.

11. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements