Snowblower throttle use
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Snowblower throttle use

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    09-03-2019 @ 07:21 AM
    Thanks
    Labor Day is half over, so we might as well have another thread about winter!

There are a lot of threads here about using the correct engine speed with pto attachments, but this contradicts how I use my front mount snowblower.

When I am mowing I am at full throttle. When snowblowing, I adjust the throttle to change how far the snow is being thrown. I move all the snow to a specific area of my lawn, so on my first couple passes I am at almost zero throttle and I am only moving the snow a couple feet. Then on the last couple passes I go full throttle and send the snow flying.

When I am at low throttle I adjust my speed with the foot pedal if the engine is bogging down.

Just curious to hear how others use their equipment.
    Last edited by swiver; 09-02-2019 at 02:29 PM.
    Toughsox likes this.
    2018 1025r

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:20 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,585 Times in 1,205 Posts
    I have the 54-inch front blower and always run at or near the indicated PTO speed. That is the best way to avoid any clogging problems. I vary the throw distance by adjusting the chute spout. That way I can either throw snow right next to the tractor or into the next field.
    fdmars, coaltrain, TJR345 and 3 others like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:36 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    I have the 54-inch front blower and always run at or near the indicated PTO speed. That is the best way to avoid any clogging problems. I vary the throw distance by adjusting the chute spout. That way I can either throw snow right next to the tractor or into the next field.
    Ditto.
    Tom

2019 X590 with power mulch control and PF bagger
    30" mechanical tiller
    02 X595 with 62" deck,front thatcher and powerflow PTO kit
    3pt hitch with Heavy Hitch 45 JD loader
    12 JD suitcase weights
    JD/Brinly 3pt plow
    Frontier SS1036 3pt pto spreader
    (2) JS63C walk behind mowers
    TS 105 JD weed wacker
    tow behind 15 gal. sprayer
    Turftime 60" lawn roller
    Turftime 54" 3pt core aerator

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:36 AM
    Thanks
    Same here

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Today @ 01:52 PM
    Thanks
    I use an actuator on the chute defector to control distance.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:08 PM
    Thanks
    ditto

Quote Originally Posted by swiver View Post
    Just curious to hear how others use their equipment.

I don't have a blower for the tractor yet, but I've used a walk behind for many years. I always ran at WOT and use the chute deflector to adjust the throw distance. Of course, this assumes you have control over your chute deflector. When I finally get my 54" front blower adding chute deflector control will be my first project.
    Last edited by DanW; 09-03-2019 at 11:50 AM.
    "We're all ignorant, just in different subjects." - Will Rogers

Sold - 1991 John Deere LX186 w/48" deck, 42" front plow, 1993 John Deere TRX26 snowblower
    Now own - 2018 John Deere 1023E w/120R loader & 53" bucket, 60D MMM w/auto PTO coupler & hydraulic lift, Deere 3rd Mid SCV, iMatch 3ph, ballast box, ROPS Warning Light Brush Guard, Deck Dolly, Edge Tamers, All States Ag Parts Mirrors, Ken's Hooks, Heavy Hitch Toothbar, Frontier AV20F Grapple, HLA HD0942 pallet forks

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DanW View Post
    ditto

I don't have a blower for the tractor yet, but I've used a walk behind for many years. I always ran at WOT and use the chute deflector to adjust the throw distance. Of course, this assumes you have control over your chute deflector. When I finally get my 54" front blower adding chute deflector control will be my first project.
    My old 25-year old walk-behind never had a remote spout control. On the 54-inch front blower I'm using the JD OEM remote spout control kit. It's low tech but it works very well. Maybe someday when it breaks I'll rig up an actuator.
    DanW likes this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:08 PM
    Thanks
    My old 25-year old walk-behind never had a remote spout control...
    My 1994 TRX26 did. You should have bought a Deere. (Though I think this series was actually made by Murray)

...On the 54-inch front blower I'm using the JD OEM remote spout control kit. It's low tech but it works very well. Maybe someday when it breaks I'll rig up an actuator.
    But again, that's an add-on. The real question is does swiver have the chute control. I already have the Deere 3rd mid scv on my tractor so I plan to add a hydraulic actuator to the chute if/when I get mine.

Sorry if it looked like I was directing my post to you. To your comment I said ditto. The rest was intended for swiver. Edited to make that clear.
    Last edited by DanW; 09-03-2019 at 11:51 AM.
    jgayman likes this.
    "We're all ignorant, just in different subjects." - Will Rogers

Sold - 1991 John Deere LX186 w/48" deck, 42" front plow, 1993 John Deere TRX26 snowblower
    Now own - 2018 John Deere 1023E w/120R loader & 53" bucket, 60D MMM w/auto PTO coupler & hydraulic lift, Deere 3rd Mid SCV, iMatch 3ph, ballast box, ROPS Warning Light Brush Guard, Deck Dolly, Edge Tamers, All States Ag Parts Mirrors, Ken's Hooks, Heavy Hitch Toothbar, Frontier AV20F Grapple, HLA HD0942 pallet forks

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DanW View Post
    My 1994 TRX26 did. You should have bought a Deere. (Though I think this series was actually made by Murray)
    Yeah, probably. :-) Mine is a 33" 13HP MTD. I still have it and it still runs and works fine. I bought it in 1992. This was back when MTD made decent machines. The nice thing about MTD is you can still get parts most anywhere.

But let me tell you my story about newer JD snow blowers. You bought yours back when they were still decent machines. I bought a new 1338PE walk-behind snow blower in 2011. I thought I was buying a quality JD machine. Not so. The dealer knew almost nothing about it and couldn't even provide a parts manual for it and just getting some extra shear bolts was a struggle. I quickly got the vibe that it was some kind of red-headed step-child. At the time I couldn't figure out who the OEM was. I could only imagine what support and parts availability would be like on this thing 20 years down the road.

The following year I decided to get a CUT with a front blower and I traded in the virtually unused 1338PE at a loss. I was never so glad to get rid of a new piece of equipment in my life. It gave me a whole new appreciation for my 25-year old MTD.
    DanW likes this.

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:58 AM
    Thanks
    I haven't added a blower to my tractor yet however on my Ariens HydroPro walk behind I always run it WOT and change the chute angle. The only time I end up pulling back the throttle is when the snowbanks get too tall and I can no long rely upon the chute angle. At that time I'll back off the throttle maybe 20% and angle the chute up to get additional lift without so much distance.
    2017 John Deere x758 w/54" HC mower, 14bu powerflow, 4-way QH, FM dethatcher, 18 steel cart, CTA 66" blade
    2018 Ariens Hydro Pro EFI 28" #313 926068 - SOLD
    2017 Ariens 24" Platinum SHO EFI 921053 - SOLD

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast