260B Stabilizer Seal Replacement - $100?
Like Tree12Likes
  • 1 Post By GSM
  • 2 Post By Mtxracer
  • 2 Post By SulleyBear
  • 1 Post By GSM
  • 2 Post By GSM
  • 2 Post By 12dbsinad
  • 2 Post By GSM

Thread: 260B Stabilizer Seal Replacement - $100?

1. Top | #1
    GSM

Last Online
    09-11-2019 @ 09:39 PM
    Thanks

260B Stabilizer Seal Replacement - $100?

I'm only at around 50 hours on my 2018 1025R but already one of the 260B stabilizers is leaking around the piston seal. I'm assuming some dirt got in there and has nicked an o-ring. I'm OK with having to deal with stuff like this once in a while - just part of using hydraulics. So I go to the JD Parts Catalog and sure enough they have a seal kit (LVA23232) but they want $60 for it. I understand JD has to turn a profit but that's a lot of dough for some o-rings. And they don't give any sizes or sell the individual o-rings.

So...does anyone happen to know what the sizes are for these o-rings? Yes, I can pull it all apart, measure, then order some o-rings but that's going to be a fair amount of downtime.

And I am a bit surprised that the wiper/scraper setup doesn't do a bit better at keeping dirt out of the piston. Maybe the factory rolled an o-ring during the build and this is an unusual one-time thing, but if I can prevent having to do this too often that would make me happy. I do try to wipe down all the pistons at the end of a day with a clean rag and some hyd fluid, but still, a backhoe is digging in the dirt 100% of the time it's in use. So if anyone else has had this problem or has any ideas for minimizing this type of damage, please let me know.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails stabilizer.jpg  
    Last edited by GSM; 09-04-2019 at 01:14 PM. Reason: corrected part number
    Gizmo2 likes this.
    Glenn

Deere 1025R, w/120R loader & 260B backhoe
    Sabre w/46" blade
    47 blower
    Innovative Tractor Attachments Grapple
    Clamp-on toothbar
    4P cart

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:32 AM
    Ontario, Canada. 25 miles from Detroit Michigan
    Thanks
    Sound's like a warranty job to me
    jgayman and kylew like this.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:53 AM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,492 Times in 1,401 Posts
    I can't imagine this wouldn't be covered under the warranty, unless you are past the 24 months as you certainly aren't past the 1,000 hours. I would talk to the dealership service manager about this......................it can't hurt and likely will save you $100.....plus maybe you can get the old O rings after they replace them so you can measure and have spares on hand for the future.
    Randog and kylew like this.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    GSM

Last Online
    Thanks
    Hmm. I'll talk to the dealer but knowing them they'll tell me to bring in the tractor (which will take most of a work day) and then they'll look at it. That would cost me much more than $100. But maybe they'd at least tell me what o-rings I need. But I don't have much faith in them, frankly.

I'll report back on how it goes.
    kylew likes this.
    Glenn

Sabre w/46" blade
    47 blower
    Clamp-on toothbar
    4P cart

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:35 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,604 Times in 1,218 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GSM View Post
    Hmm. I'll talk to the dealer but knowing them they'll tell me to bring in the tractor (which will take most of a work day) and then they'll look at it. That would cost me much more than $100. But maybe they'd at least tell me what o-rings I need. But I don't have much faith in them, frankly.

I'll report back on how it goes.
    Offer to bring the cylinder in to them.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

8. Top | #6
    GSM

Last Online
    Thanks
    Update.

Looks like I had the 270 BH part number instead of the 260B - the correct number is LVA23232 (I corrected my original post so I don't send anyone else in the wrong direction). And the cost isn't *quite* as bad - $60 for the (5) o-rings, scraper, and a new nut. No, they didn't have the o-ring specs. And the Parts department wouldn't do warranty coverage without 'inspecting' at least the cylinder. Unfortunately it's 45 minutes for me each way. The service manager wasn't there, so for now I just bought it but will have a follow-up call with him later.

I will measure and post the o-ring info once I get the kit so hopefully that will help the next person that has to replace these seals.

BTW, the replacement cylinder is $702!
    Last edited by GSM; 09-04-2019 at 01:26 PM.
    Randog and kylew like this.
    Glenn

Sabre w/46" blade
    47 blower
    Clamp-on toothbar
    4P cart

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:24 PM
    Thanks
    Have you inspected the entire piston for any damage? The reason I am saying this is if there is the slightest nick or burr on the chrome it would tear the seal and a new one as well.

I am not saying this is the case, but I have seen this scenario more than once when a cylinder starts randomly leaking, especially brand new.

I also agree that if not damaged I would call for a warranty repair. Bring the cylinder in, it is much easier than the entire machine. You paid good money for it, therefore use your warranty. Just food for thought.
    kylew and GSM like this.
    2018 2025R, R4, 120R Loader, 260B backhoe, 60D AutoConnect MMM, Independent Deck Lift, 5' Tarter Rotary Cutter

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:37 PM
    Thanks
    One of my stabilizers seals just started leaking on my 260 also. A very small leak, and I can't find any nicks or burrs on the cylinder rod. I thought about resealing it sometime, but for now I want to hear what happens with GSM's situation.

🌠Back in my day we had 9 planets🌠

2014 1025R TLB
    60D AutoConnect Mower●H120 Loader●260 Backhoe●BB2048 Box Blade●RB2060L Back Blade●RC2048 Rotary Cutter●JD 60" Quick Hitch Plow Blade●Ken's Bolt-on Hooks●Ken's Diff Pedal●Ken's I-Match Hook●Ken's Backhoe Steps●Titan 42" Forks w/Headache Rack●Titan Ballast Box●Titan Toothbar w/23WTL Tiger Teeth●3" Edge Tamers●BXpanded 6" Bucket, Ripper & Bucket Quick Change●This & That Mods●Other Stuff I Forgot About●

The Mrs. has 2014 X360

11. Top | #9
    GSM

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kylew View Post
    One of my stabilizers seals just started leaking on my 260 also. A very small leak, and I can't find any nicks or burrs on the cylinder rod. I thought about resealing it sometime, but for now I want to hear what happens with GSM's situation.

I'll have the kit next week and I'll take some pictures 'while I'm at it'...

And I will inspect that rod as PM12dbsinad suggested. I have had a little experience rebuilding hydraulics before and will definitely give it a very close look.

Thanks everyone.
    kylew and 12dbsinad like this.
    Glenn

Sabre w/46" blade
    47 blower
    Clamp-on toothbar
    4P cart

12. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements