Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Better rear guard for RC2048 brush hog

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Today @ 07:21 AM
    Thanks

Better rear guard for RC2048 brush hog

Everytime the wife gets done brush hogging, the rear chain protector gets torn up. I'll grant you she needs to be more careful, and I've told her that, but the thing is made out of some pretty flimsy material. I thought I'd read about some other kind of guards for it, but can't find anything. Anyone have any links to those? Or other solutions?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2019-09-01 14.32.28.jpg 2019-09-01 14.32.32.jpg
    danmc48, Herminator and PJR832 like this.
    2018 1025R; R120 FEL; 60D MMM; iMatch; AP11F forks; Homemade ballast box; Frontier BB5048 box blade; Frontier RC2048 brush hog;

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 07:39 AM
    Thanks
    Does the chain guard really need to be positioned so far away from the housing? ... If the blades clear, why not attach the guard directly to the housing ?
    It wouldn't snag so easily

G
    2013 - JD 1025r, 60" Auto Connect MMM, H120 FEL, 50" QA Loader Bucket, Home made Bucket Teeth, Titan QA loader fork back frame, Home made 66" Loader QA Snow Plow, Home made Land Plane. Home made loader QA Stump bucket. Home made loader boom pole attachment. Home made Landscape Rake. Modified HF Quick Hitch, Home made 3 point Ballast Box, Home made Debris Forks, Betsco BX42-S Wood Chipper, Woods 60" Back Blade, 72" Befco Finish Mower. 5' Bush Hog Mower. 1952 Ford 8N

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwizz View Post
    Does the chain guard really need to be positioned so far away from the housing? ... If the blades clear, why not attach the guard directly to the housing ?
    It wouldn't snag so easily

G
    Yes. When it is bent in much, the blades will contact the chains. Probably on in reverse, but she's already shortened several of the chains because of it.
    Herminator likes this.
    2018 1025R; R120 FEL; 60D MMM; iMatch; AP11F forks; Homemade ballast box; Frontier BB5048 box blade; Frontier RC2048 brush hog;

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:56 AM
    Thanks
    I just have the plate style, no chains. Haven't had any issues with it. For the price, you might consider trying it.

Click image for larger version.

Name:	SmartSelect_20190904-185934_Samsung Internet.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	703444
    Click image for larger version.

Name:	SmartSelect_20190904-185952_Samsung Internet.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	703446
    North585, rtgt, danmc48 and 4 others like this.
    🌠Back in my day we had 9 planets🌠

2014 1025R TLB
    60D AutoConnect Mower●H120 Loader●260 Backhoe●BB2048 Box Blade●RB2060L Back Blade●RC2048 Rotary Cutter●JD 60" Quick Hitch Plow Blade●Ken's Bolt-on Hooks●Ken's Diff Pedal●Ken's I-Match Hook●Ken's Backhoe Steps●Titan 42" Forks w/Headache Rack●Titan Ballast Box●Titan Toothbar w/23WTL Tiger Teeth●3" Edge Tamers●BXpanded 6" Bucket, Ripper & Bucket Quick Change●This & That Mods●Other Stuff I Forgot About●

The Mrs. has 2014 X360

7. The Following User Says Thank You to kylew For This Useful Post:

jejb(09-06-2019)

8. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks. I have one on order from my local dealer.
    kylew likes this.

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:38 AM
    Thanks
    I'm glad you asked this question. I've torn mine up pretty good in the woods. I use it pretty heavy. Glad to know there is a better option out there other than the chains.
    kylew likes this.

10. Top | #7

Last Online
    Today @ 07:01 AM
    Thanks

Flat belt

I would replace it with a suitable width flat belt like is on round hay balers. It's tough enough to stop debris but will flex for hard objects. In my case, it's also free as we have some of it sitting around from when we changed baler belts.

Being constructed of layers of fabric and rubber, it's a bit of a pain to put bolt holes in it but a Forstner bit will do it as would a hydraulic punch. That's what's on the front of my Bush Hog and one corner needs replacement so I'll get around to it someday.

Treefarmer
    rtgt, SulleyBear and TJR345 like this.
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

11. Top | #8

Last Online
    Today @ 11:34 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jejb View Post
    Everytime the wife gets done brush hogging, the rear chain protector gets torn up. I'll grant you she needs to be more careful, and I've told her that, but the thing is made out of some pretty flimsy material. I thought I'd read about some other kind of guards for it, but can't find anything. Anyone have any links to those? Or other solutions?
    What is it exactly that she is hitting to do that damage?
    2025R G2-120 FEL - IMATCH -RC2048 - 5 ft Howse Rotary cutter - Modified TSC Carry all used as a ballast box combo carry all

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:53 AM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,492 Times in 1,401 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jd1020 View Post
    What is it exactly that she is hitting to do that damage?
    I wondered the same thing. She either caught the guard on a small stump or similar to rip it off the back of the deck like that. It would be hard to drag it on the ground and create that much damage as the rear of the mower would drag first.

I took some video today of my rear RC2048 Frontier mower by mounting the camera right on the center lift where the 3 point center hook on the I Match attaches. A lot of debris comes out the back and I have the same chain guard set up. Granted, I was mowing thick stuff which was 7 feet tall in many places.

The camera angle doesn't show the actual chains, but I haven't damaged any of the actual chains nor caught them in the mower. I have knocked the chain plate in towards the deck in a few places, but its easy to straighten back out with anything which can pry between the deck and guard.

The tail wheel position doesn't seem unusual.......

Either she is somehow dragging (the mower's tail to be clear...) or catching it on something. Looks like she has damaged both sides, with the left torn out completely and the right bent and damaged nearly to the point of being pulled off the deck.

I have bent the plate which the chains mount to which is easy to straighten back out. But so far, I haven't damaged the rear guard nearly as much as she has achieved...I have mowed with my mower probably a total of 20 to 25 tractor hours

Looks like the left rear bolt broke away part of the mower deck housing? Or is it just the photo angle which makes it appear that way.?

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

13. Top | #10

Last Online
    Today @ 11:34 AM
    Thanks
    Just went out and took some measurements on the RC2048. It's sitting on a slab.

With the front of the RC sitting flat on the slab the rear is 2" higher being held up by the tail wheel'

The rear guard is 4" above the slab measured to the metal at the corner . I usually cut with the front raised about 3" . I'm on rough land , steep hills and it amazes me how much the 2025R with RC2028 can accomplish . I'm glad I saw this thread because I had no idea that the rear guard was vulnerable. I'll be paying closer attention from now on
    rtgt likes this.
    2025R G2-120 FEL - IMATCH -RC2048 - 5 ft Howse Rotary cutter - Modified TSC Carry all used as a ballast box combo carry all

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast