• 2 Post By kylew
  • 3 Post By MacCool
  • 1 Post By WilliamT.
  • 4 Post By Kbar
  • 3 Post By MacCool
  • 4 Post By MacCool
  • 3 Post By WilliamT.
  • 2 Post By MacCool

Thread: Ratchet Rake vs Piranha tooth bar?

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks

Ratchet Rake vs Piranha tooth bar?

In my quest to reduce the jungle around here as easily as possible, and continue to demonstrate to the Missus what a good idea this new tractor was, Iíve been looking at tooth bars. I suspect Iíll be doing more ripping up of vegetation than actual digging, although there may be some of that.

Are these two even comparable? Iíve been searching the board but not finding a lot. Iím not always the most gifted searcher though. So, opinions please. It will have to be one or the other. Both ainít gonna cut it (so to speak).
    Bill

2019 2038r, FEL, backhoe, ballast box, box scraper, Artillian grapple and forks, Woods chipper, Brand X 3 pt log splitter
    2016 Gator XUV 590i
    2011 X534 all wheel steer, 54Ē deck 47Ē snowblower

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:56 AM
    Thanks
    Here's a link you might find helpful, comparing the piranha and ratchet.

Piranha tooth bar vs Ratchet Rake Comparison

I didn't know the ratchet rake was so expensive, or that it involved so many parts to monkey with to install it. Basically the same price as the piranha bar, if not more. If it were me, I'd go with the tried and true Piranha bar. Just bolt and go.
    rtgt and WilliamT. like this.
    🌠Back in my day we had 9 planets🌠

2014 1025R TLB
    60D AutoConnect Mower●H120 Loader●260 Backhoe●BB2048 Box Blade●RB2060L Back Blade●RC2048 Rotary Cutter●JD 60" Quick Hitch Plow Blade●Ken's Bolt-on Hooks●Ken's Diff Pedal●Ken's I-Match Hook●Ken's Backhoe Steps●Titan 42" Forks w/Headache Rack●Titan Ballast Box●Titan Toothbar w/23WTL Tiger Teeth●3" Edge Tamers●BXpanded 6" Bucket, Ripper & Bucket Quick Change●This & That Mods●Other Stuff I Forgot About●

The Mrs. has 2014 X360

4. The Following User Says Thank You to kylew For This Useful Post:

WilliamT.†(09-06-2019)

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:38 PM
    Thanks
    I have a Ratchet Rake but I can't compare it to the Piranha bar. I can say that the RR isn't for digging. If you want to scoop out some dirt, say..for a patio and slice through roots and all, I think the Piranha would be perfect. I had a bunch of brush...trees (sumac) with broad shallow root systems as well as a bunch of berry bushes and vines, that I wanted cleared out. I also had several spruces that came out with the central trunk ground, but I need to pull out the feeder roots. I didn't want to dig in and take them out dirt and all...I just wanted to rip the roots out. I also wanted to aggressively rake through the remaining dirt and pull out all the wood chips from the grinding as mulch, but leave the actual dirt, leaving it nicely tossed and furrowed and ready to toss in some grass seed. Man...the Ratchet Rake was perfect for all of those tasks. I have grass growing like crazy right now.

Attaching the RR and cinching it down is no big deal. Just slip the bar onto the lip of the bucket and toss the ratchet straps over the top. Takes about 2 minutes.

At some point this fall or in the spring, I'm planning on digging out about a foot of dirt for a 15x15 patio and fire pit. I plan on getting a Piranha bar for that cuz I don't see how it's gonna happen with the Ratchet Rake.
    mark02tj, kylew and WilliamT. like this.
    2019 John Deere 1023E SCUT with 120R FEL
    iMatch quick hitch Cat 3
    Titan 3-Point 2" Receiver Hitch
    Titan 42 inch Chinese pallet forks
    Titan Chinese Ballast Box
    Field Tuff FTF-60PSR3PT Pine Straw Rake, 3 Pt - modified for 2" receiver
    Ken's Bolt-On Grab Hooks
    Ratchet Rake

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MacCool For This Useful Post:

WilliamT.†(09-06-2019)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

8. Top | #4
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kylew View Post
    Here's a link you might find helpful, comparing the piranha and ratchet.

Piranha tooth bar vs Ratchet Rake Comparison

I didn't know the ratchet rake was so expensive, or that it involved so many parts to monkey with to install it. Basically the same price as the piranha bar, if not more. If it were me, I'd go with the tried and true Piranha bar. Just bolt and go.
    Thanks! This is what I was looking for. I plan to do more brush removal than digging.

Quote Originally Posted by MacCool View Post
    I have a Ratchet Rake but I can't compare it to the Piranha bar. I can say that the RR isn't for digging. If you want to scoop out some dirt, say..for a patio and slice through roots and all, I think the Piranha would be perfect. I had a bunch of brush...trees (sumac) with broad shallow root systems as well as a bunch of berry bushes and vines, that I wanted cleared out. I also had several spruces that came out with the central trunk ground, but I need to pull out the feeder roots. I didn't want to dig in and take them out dirt and all...I just wanted to rip the roots out. I also wanted to aggressively rake through the remaining dirt and pull out all the wood chips from the grinding as mulch, but leave the actual dirt, leaving it nicely tossed and furrowed and ready to toss in some grass seed. Man...the Ratchet Rake was perfect for all of those tasks. I have grass growing like crazy right now.

Attaching the RR and cinching it down is no big deal. Just slip the bar onto the lip of the bucket and toss the ratchet straps over the top. Takes about 2 minutes.

At some point this fall or in the spring, I'm planning on digging out about a foot of dirt for a 15x15 patio and fire pit. I plan on getting a Piranha bar for that cuz I don't see how it's gonna happen with the Ratchet Rake.
    This sounds a lot like my place. Itís way overgrown so I am assembling what I need to yank or dig out trees, bushes, etc. weíve got all sorts of vines as well - grape, honeysuckle, English ivy, and of course, poison ivy. If poison ivy were a cash crop, Iíd be a millionaire.
    mark02tj likes this.
    Bill

2019 2038r, FEL, backhoe, ballast box, box scraper, Artillian grapple and forks, Woods chipper, Brand X 3 pt log splitter
    2016 Gator XUV 590i

9. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:20 PM
    Thanks
    Honestly, Iíve been thinking about getting this https://heavyhitch.com/product/bucke...mpact-tractor/.
    I have Tiger maples and their roots are some stubborn sobís. Watch Tractor time with Tim on YouTube. Heís got this and has done lots of brush removal etc. I canít judge the Pirhana, but for those double spikes on the above seem to me to be very effective on heavy brush and roots. The ratchet rake is the ultimate tool, and I would not kick that outta bed for eating Cheetos

10. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by WilliamT. View Post
    Thanks! This is what I was looking for. I plan to do more brush removal than digging.

This sounds a lot like my place. Itís way overgrown so I am assembling what I need to yank or dig out trees, bushes, etc. weíve got all sorts of vines as well - grape, honeysuckle, English ivy, and of course, poison ivy. If poison ivy were a cash crop, Iíd be a millionaire.
    Yeah, that's me too, but in addition to the overgrowth, I have a lot of old leaves and dead twigs/sticks/branches. I've lived here 32 years and that back part of my 2.5 acre yard has had NO attention in all that time except for the various trails I've cut through it for wildlife and hiking with my granddaughter. Now that I have a tractor, I'm doing the jobs I couldn't otherwise do. It's been very satisfying drving around back there, poking the tractor into those pile of leaves, roots, brush, twigs, brush, dropping the bucket with Ratchet Rake, and back-dragging all that crap out of there. I have hauled so many trailer loads of that crap to the landfill that the landfill clerk accused me of being a commercial landscaper and wanted to charge me commercial rates (dumping brush and trees is free for non-commercial use). The funny part is that I've known her for more than a decade. She's a patient of mine. I've operated on her. Maybe she thought I'd opted for a mid-life career change.
    mark02tj, kylew and WilliamT. like this.
    iMatch quick hitch Cat 3
    Ken's Bolt-On Grab Hooks
    Ratchet Rake

11. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    This has been a large part of my Ratchet Rake use...remnants of stump grinding several spruce trees that came out. Man, it generated yards of this kind of mulch. I initially tried getting it out with a pine straw rake but that didn't do it. The Ratchet Rake tilled the stuff just fine, helped me work black dirt into the stuff, and now I have new grass growing like crazy.

This stuff I raked up all ended up making pretty good mulch, so I raked it into rows, and carried it back to my new mulch pile.

Before

After

Mulch

[/QUOTE]
    mark02tj, Dr Kubar, Kbar and 1 others like this.
    iMatch quick hitch Cat 3
    Ken's Bolt-On Grab Hooks
    Ratchet Rake

12. Top | #8
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kbar View Post
    Honestly, Iíve been thinking about getting this https://heavyhitch.com/product/bucke...mpact-tractor/.
    I have Tiger maples and their roots are some stubborn sobís. Watch Tractor time with Tim on YouTube. Heís got this and has done lots of brush removal etc. I canít judge the Pirhana, but for those double spikes on the above seem to me to be very effective on heavy brush and roots. The ratchet rake is the ultimate tool, and I would not kick that outta bed for eating Cheetos
    You had to go and throw that into the whole equation, didnít you? Very impressive! I think the Ratchet Rake is going to be better suited for the initial jobs I have, but now instead of either/or Iíve got to come up with a plan for "both".

Quote Originally Posted by MacCool View Post
    This has been a large part of my Ratchet Rake use...remnants of stump grinding several spruce trees that came out. Man, it generated yards of this kind of mulch. I initially tried getting it out with a pine straw rake but that didn't do it. The Ratchet Rake tilled the stuff just fine, helped me work black dirt into the stuff, and now I have new grass growing like crazy.

This stuff I raked up all ended up making pretty good mulch, so I raked it into rows, and carried it back to my new mulch pile.

Before

After

Mulch

[/QUOTE]

Thank you for the pictures. Eventually Iíll be posting some very similar. Iíve got huge sections that have been taken over by weeds, briars, and small saplings. I intend to reclaim them and after reading, watching some videos, and doing a lot of thinking, Iíll be picking up a Ratchet Rake sometime this week. Iím only a little more than an hour north of them, so Iím going to drive down and save the shipping. Itís an excuse to get out of town for part of a day, town being only in the technical sense.

Also, thatís a pretty impressive box youíve got on the front end. I could see modifying a pallet to do something similar. My chipper is capable of turning out prodigious amounts of mulch. And Iíve got plenty to feed it.
    mark02tj, Dr Kubar and Kbar like this.
    Bill

2016 Gator XUV 590i

13. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by WilliamT. View Post
    Also, that’s a pretty impressive box you’ve got on the front end. I could see modifying a pallet to do something similar. My chipper is capable of turning out prodigious amounts of mulch. And I’ve got plenty to feed it.
    Thanks. I had a lot of mulch-type stuff to move around and the bucket wasn't big enough to be efficient. I had an old 4x4 piece of OSB sitting around so I laid it on the forks and secured it behind the fork frame with a piece of rope. I could move more stuff, but a lot of it kept falling off on the way back to the mulch pile so I took about 1/2 hour and some more scrap wood for the sides and threw that thing together with the idea that I'd take more time and build something better once I found the weak spots. I haven't really needed to upgrade it yet. I though about making a bigger capacity one, but as it is, the mulch I've been moving in that 4x4 box needs the ballast box.

Great idea on the chipper mulch though...you could just aim the output right into the box. I'm thinking that I can use the blower and/or pine straw rake to manage leaves into piles that I can easily rake right into the thing. I thought about using a pallet, but wanted it to be as close to the ground as I could get it so that I could rake stuff into it rather than having to shovel or pitchfork.

Last edited by MacCool; 09-08-2019 at 09:36 AM.
    mark02tj and Dr Kubar like this.
    iMatch quick hitch Cat 3
    Ken's Bolt-On Grab Hooks
    Ratchet Rake

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements