Do I need curl function for AF11E loader blade?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: Do I need curl function for AF11E loader blade?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    09-06-2019 @ 03:49 PM
    Thanks

Do I need curl function for AF11E loader blade?

Hello all, looks like I will be taking delivery of a 3039R cab tractor very soon and am changing up my current plowing situation (Polaris Sportsman with blade). I am looking at an AF11E blade for the loader and am wondering if I need the 3rd set of hydraulic lines ran to the front for the curl function? I am never plowed with a loader mounted blade, but have lurked on here quite a bit reading both the positives and negatives of them. I just don't know how useful or necessary the curl function would be, so I'm curious what other people's experiences/opinions are. If I can save the $447 for the add-on hydraulic line kit, I'd like too! Thanks for your input.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:55 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,054 Times in 2,219 Posts
    In my opinion....do it right and do it now when your tractor is new. $450 isnít much in the grand scheme of things.

If you ever want to run a grapple at a later date you will already be setup.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 04:47 PM
    Thanks
    If your blade has hydraulic angling on it, you're going to want the 3rd set of hoses up front. If you think about the geometry of the blade, consider the angling pivot point. If you have the blade tilted upwards and then angle the blade to the right, the right side end of the blade is going to be closer to the pavement than the left end. If you curl the blade forwards and tilt to the right, then the left end of the blade will be closer to the pavement.

What I'm getting at is that if you don't want the third set of hoses, then you'll need to have the blade perfectly "curled" (ie - front/back) so that the blade remains parallel as you angle it left and right.

As I'm typing this, I'm wondering how you'd plumb the curl function of the FEL into the blade angling system?

I have an FEL mounted snow blade with hydraulic angling. I use my Artillian diverter to control the angle. Works like a champ.
    '05 JD 3520 Open Station w/ 300CX FEL
    Grandpa's '52 Farmall Cub
    A couple of old Gravelys
    Help a Vet and his dog

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Today @ 06:04 PM
    Thanks
    You can run the plow without having a curl function but life is easier if you have it.

The 1st year I had my plow mounted on the loader I used the curl lines to control the angle function. That works but every now and then you you find that you need to adjust the plow's attack angle. The curl cylinders need to be adjusted so you have to stop, hook the lines back on to the curl cylinders, adjust the curl and then switch everything back again. You may only need to do that once or twice a storm and it sounds pretty simple but it's a lot harder to actually do it when everything is covered in snow and slush, it's 20 degrees outside, the lines are pressurized, etc... One switch over can turn into a 15-20 minute exercise in frustration.

My suggestion would be to spend the $$. In the long run it is well worth it.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:59 PM
    Thanks
    I am in the add it now camp as well. You might as well make life easier now and it is a small jump in price. Not sure if you are paying cash or doing a finance but if a finance you won't notice a couple of cents to the monthly payment.

Also it opens the door to other attachments up front where it would be needed anyhow. For instance a grapple.
    jdforever and PJR832 like this.

JD Z950R 60" Deck with DFS Collection System

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 48" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, 3pt Sprayer

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Today @ 05:02 PM
    Thanks
    Add it now. It is less costly than it is after you get the tractor. Eventually you will find endless uses for it.
    jdforever and PJR832 like this.
    2019 3046r, 385A BH, FEL, JD Ballist box, 6' 3pt hitch rake, 4 way 48" snow blade, 7' 3pt hitch drag blade
    Zero turn Z445, 5' 3pt hitch woods mower, 42" Artillian Pallet forks W/Adapter for snow plow, Standard 3pt hitch receiver to move trailers.
    I haul the tractor with a 2015 2500HD Chevrolet Silverado 4X4 6.6L Duramax W/Allison transmission a 2013 18' 7500lb dove tail trailer made by Appilachian trailers.
    Stihl MS271 Farm Boss Chain Saw 18" blade, Piranha Bar.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:57 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,024 Times in 2,506 Posts
    + Whatever...Add it now.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:42 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,503 Times in 1,230 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kennyd View Post
    + Whatever...Add it now.
    Quote Originally Posted by BillieS View Post
    Add it now. It is less costly than it is after you get the tractor. Eventually you will find endless uses for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by sennister View Post
    I am in the add it now camp as well. You might as well make life easier now and it is a small jump in price. Not sure if you are paying cash or doing a finance but if a finance you won't notice a couple of cents to the monthly payment.

Also it opens the door to other attachments up front where it would be needed anyhow. For instance a grapple.
    Quote Originally Posted by mark02tj View Post
    If your blade has hydraulic angling on it, you're going to want the 3rd set of hoses up front. If you think about the geometry of the blade, consider the angling pivot point. If you have the blade tilted upwards and then angle the blade to the right, the right side end of the blade is going to be closer to the pavement than the left end. If you curl the blade forwards and tilt to the right, then the left end of the blade will be closer to the pavement.

What I'm getting at is that if you don't want the third set of hoses, then you'll need to have the blade perfectly "curled" (ie - front/back) so that the blade remains parallel as you angle it left and right.

As I'm typing this, I'm wondering how you'd plumb the curl function of the FEL into the blade angling system?

I have an FEL mounted snow blade with hydraulic angling. I use my Artillian diverter to control the angle. Works like a champ.
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    In my opinion....do it right and do it now when your tractor is new. $450 isnít much in the grand scheme of things.

Just in case you missed all of this good advice.
    It's probably best to add it now
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    2025R W/120R FEL/Titan 36" Pallet Forks w/round bale spears/Ken's Bolt on Hooks / 72" moose plow / Kawasaki Mule(The Donkey) 610xc w/ Warn winch
    60D Auto Connect w/mulch kit and Gator G6 blades
    County Line- 48" Tiller & middle buster
    Frontier- BB5048L & DH1066 & RC2060
    JD iMATCH
    Homemade cultivator/hiller/chisel plow
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Watch the 2025R on YouTube:
    Elk Creek Acres

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Today @ 04:47 PM
    Thanks
    While you're budgeting the additional money for the 3rd function or diverter, don't forget to budget a little for some goodies from www.BoltOnHooks.com. You're going to buy stuff anyway, so you might as well just plan for it now so you don't have to go back to the finance committee.

I'd suggest some bucket hooks and shackle mounts, a hydraulic pressure gauge, a few assorted sizes of slings, a hydraulic decompression tool, the FEL bolt on receiver and a chain shortener. And don't forget to include a "Get Hooked" t-shirt for your wife.

I love spending other peoples' money!!
    jdforever, wentonbrown and PJR832 like this.
    '05 JD 3520 Open Station w/ 300CX FEL
    Grandpa's '52 Farmall Cub
    A couple of old Gravelys
    Help a Vet and his dog

12. The Following User Says Thank You to mark02tj For This Useful Post:

Kennyd†(09-06-2019)

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:15 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post

X2. Get it put on.

And thinking now, if you have no hydro pressure on the curl cylinders, pushing a load of snow may push rods back into hydraulic cylinder. Then you would need to hook lines back up to reset blade at what curl you want it at? Maybe?

Geez, I remember an old plow truck I used that once I hit a pile with the plow kicked to right, it would go back to strait even if I didn't want it to.
    PJR832 likes this.
    2018 1025R FIL 120R with Mauser Cab
    iMatch Quick Hitch
    BB2048L Box Blade
    AP10F 42" Pallet Fork
    AV20F 53" Root Grapple
    54" Front Snow Blower

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast