Sickle bar for Lawn and Garden tractors?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Sickle bar for Lawn and Garden tractors?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    09-17-2019 @ 09:12 PM
    Thanks

Sickle bar for Lawn and Garden tractors?

Just wondered if anybody knows if there are any sickle bar manufacturers for lawn tractors out there. When I was a kid, way back in the 60's, my father had a Massey Ferguson lawn tractor that was somewhere around 10-15 hp. He had a 4' (I think) belly mount sickle bar for it. I'd love to be able to find one that would work on a JD X320 lawn tractor. That thing was great for trimming along the edge of a pond and along a long driveway that the goldenrod is hanging into and sweeping the car as you go up the driveway. Seems like something like that would be in demand by some lawn mowing guys. I know it's a real niche area, but a sickle mower could be put on an old tractor that was being used as a spare or something. City lawn service companies probably wouldn't have a use for something like that but us guys out in the country could really use one. At least I could use one on a couple of accounts. and it would be a lot easier and much faster than using a trimmer. Along a pond using one would just cause the grass to just lay down and be easily raked up rather than turning it into confetti spreading it all in the pond. I just remember using it all the time. Our driveway was about 2 tenths of a mile long. That would be a lot of string trimming. I know most folks don't have driveways that long, but around here there are a lot of ponds and embankments that need trimming. I have a customer that has two ponds and doesn't want the grass going in the pond so I picked up a Stihl "power scythe" attachment for my FS 90 trimmer and it works great. The only drawback is the cutting length is only 9.8" long and her ponds are pretty big. All the while I was trimming, I found myself fantasizing about that sickle mower from the dim distant past. Oh Well. So if anybody knows if or where such a thing can be had, let me know. Thanks.
    DaBomb6988 and rtgt like this.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to dp045 For This Useful Post:

DaBomb6988 (09-10-2019)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:20 AM
    NW Oregun Gutterslut...the Wet Side.... Gaston
    Thanks
    I'll tag along.

Someone here has the perfect unit., I forget who...probly CadPlans.
    Its a sickle that can run at any angle...including verticle.
    Most have to be near flat by design but there is that One model thats Different.

Seen lots lately on the CL...but don't know the one I'm looking for.

They've gone the way of the wind probly for a few reasons....pita ,safety ,maint.

Yes the similar blades are still used but in the belly of a combine /whatever...

keep this thread alive and we'll find the answer.
    rtgt and BigJim55 like this.
    Dan

JD 955 ,70A loader, 60" mmm , Original I-match ,4' woods B hog , 5' Box blade , 12' orchard plane/driveway grader ,various other doo-dads & homebuilt implements. Goossen BFBlower, JakeRake..this thing is different.
    Kubota U-15
    Kubota RTV 900

47 8n......good times..V8 in my future possibly

Pharrell Williams - Freedom (Video) - YouTube ...George Michael - Freedom! ’90 (Official Video) - YouTube..

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:16 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,403 Times in 1,102 Posts
    here's a pic of what ur looking forits called a Haban sickle bar mower for garden tractors.

probably on the garden tractor forum called the the weekend something darn i forget the last word of it.

someone will come along with more info a bit later. at least u got a pic of one at least. good luck

edit: if u click on the pic it will take u to many more pics of mowers (garden tractors) with the Haban sickle bar mowers mounted
    Last edited by BigJim55; 09-09-2019 at 11:50 PM.
    rtgt and Jeff B like this.
    jim

2006 2520 mcut, 2004 x475, 1953 model 50, 1985 318-was my Dad's,
    king kutter tiller-60", frontier-stone rake, jd-4ft brush hog, frontier-6ft back-blade, frontier-forks, 48 inch forks,
    2-54inch jd snow plows, jd-5ft-pull brush hog,

2018 835R gas model gator-"aka" the Cadillac i say!! 6ft jd snow plow-which already has a dtac out on it. i got just about everything on it i could at the time

6. The Following User Says Thank You to BigJim55 For This Useful Post:

dp045 (09-17-2019)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

8. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:20 AM
    NW Oregun Gutterslut...the Wet Side.... Gaston
    Thanks
    weekend freedom machines maybe?

Its weekend something I've seen reference too
    rtgt likes this.
    Dan

JD 955 ,70A loader, 60" mmm , Original I-match ,4' woods B hog , 5' Box blade , 12' orchard plane/driveway grader ,various other doo-dads & homebuilt implements. Goossen BFBlower, JakeRake..this thing is different.
    Kubota U-15
    Kubota RTV 900

47 8n......good times..V8 in my future possibly

Pharrell Williams - Freedom (Video) - YouTube ...George Michael - Freedom! ’90 (Official Video) - YouTube..

9. Top | #5

Last Online
    Today @ 02:10 AM
    Thanks
    Weekend Freedom Machines...Weekend Freedom Machines Forum | Vintage John Deere Tractors... is an excellent source of info for JD L&G tractors, from riders to the new machines.
    '80 317 w/18hp B&S and divert valve for rear hydraulics, 3 pt hitch, 5' york rake
    '82 314 w/rear PTO for tiller
    33 tiller
    49 thrower
    54 4 way blade
    Mod 48 deck & Mod 462 TracVac

10. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:01 PM
    Thanks
    2007 2305, New to Me 12/15
    62c MMM, Independent Mid Lift
    H130 FEL, Heavy Hitch, , IMatch, Ken's Bolt on Hooks,
    N1 Sunshade, 48" Flex Hitch King Kutter,
    72" CTA Snow Pusher, CIDAttachments Forks
    LP 60” Grader Scrapper, R2 Edge Tamers
    Hitch'N Can

11. Top | #7

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:58 PM
    Thanks
    1982 model 400 was the last deere garden tractor that had a sickle bar option.
    rtgt, BigJim55 and KennyP like this.

12. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:53 PM
    Thanks
    The one for lawn tractors was the Haban sickle mower. They are out there in the weeds, some have been found restored to working condition. They are highly sought after.
    BigJim55 likes this.

13. Top | #9

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:58 PM
    Thanks
    I just thought of this. I have a 1990 or 92 sales brochure that came with 318 purchase documents with a mystery entry of a sickle bar for 332’s only. I’ve yet to learn anything else about it.

14. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:53 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rydplrs View Post
    I just thought of this. I have a 1990 or 92 sales brochure that came with 318 purchase documents with a mystery entry of a sickle bar for 332’s only. I’ve yet to learn anything else about it.
    Can you scan those and post, I would like to see what was written about those sickle mower attachments.
    BigJim55 likes this.

15. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast