• 1 Post By jgayman
  • 1 Post By balrog006

Thread: 260 Backhoe swing cylinder leak

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    11-19-2019 @ 09:26 PM
    Thanks

260 Backhoe swing cylinder leak

My backhoe attacment has sat in the garage on dollies most of the summer. I hooked it up and used it for the first time this year yesterday. This morning i noticed a puddle under the cylinder that swings the backhoe right and left. I'm assuming its just a seal. Is there much to replacing these or should I unbolt the cylinder and take it to my dealer to repair?

It appears to be coming out right at the face of the reservoir side where the rod slides in.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:49 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,716 Times in 1,303 Posts
    They aren't too bad to repair if you are familiar with disassembling hydraulic cylinders. A seal kit (#3) is $61.40. You could always call the dealer and ask them the cost of installing a seal kit.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 260_swing1.jpg
    keane and kylew like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    12-03-2019 @ 12:50 PM
    Thanks

Bring it to dealer

I had to disassemble my loader cylinder last year. What a son of a &@!?% that was. Normal cylinders are retained by an outside c-clip/snap ring, screw on cover removed using a spanner wrench or bolted housing etc. JD uses an internal ring that needs a specialty shim tool and aparently sorcery to remove. Ive worked on lots of hydraulic equipment and I will NEVER work on a JD cylinder again! Well unless the parts department is going to gouge me on a simple cylinder repack. Then Iíll just suck it up and do it again :-) just make sure that shim ring comes in your seal kit.

After removing the swing cylinder try to see why the seal let go. These machines are not that old so it may be the rod was scuffed up and cut the seal? The rods (shiny part) not the barrel are available through the dealer at least that was the case with my loader cylinder. If the rod is cut up and barrel is ok a hydraulics company may be able to weld/braze it up, cut it back to spec and repack cylinder. Not sure you would be saving much over buying new.

Hopefully you just got a prematue failed seal and a simple repack will get you back going again.
    1026R
    H120 loader
    260 Backhoe
    54" MMM
    80 dump cart
    4' Bush Hog
    47" snow blower
    3pt Carry all
    Northstar sprayer

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:49 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,716 Times in 1,303 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobbybats View Post
    I had to disassemble my loader cylinder last year. What a son of a &@!?% that was. Normal cylinders are retained by an outside c-clip/snap ring, screw on cover removed using a spanner wrench or bolted housing etc. JD uses an internal ring that needs a specialty shim tool and aparently sorcery to remove. Ive worked on lots of hydraulic equipment and I will NEVER work on a JD cylinder again! Well unless the parts department is going to gouge me on a simple cylinder repack. Then Iíll just suck it up and do it again :-) just make sure that shim ring comes in your seal kit.

After removing the swing cylinder try to see why the seal let go. These machines are not that old so it may be the rod was scuffed up and cut the seal? The rods (shiny part) not the barrel are available through the dealer at least that was the case with my loader cylinder. If the rod is cut up and barrel is ok a hydraulics company may be able to weld/braze it up, cut it back to spec and repack cylinder. Not sure you would be saving much over buying new.

Hopefully you just got a prematue failed seal and a simple repack will get you back going again.
    A new swing cylinder rod is $367. It appears that they don't sell the tube. A complete cylinder is $1418.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Today @ 12:29 PM
    Thanks
    My local hydro shop was able to replace a bent rod and repack with all new seals, by backhoe bucket curl cylinder for approx half the cost of new, $300 vs almost $700 IIRC. Deere told me they didnít offer the rod, just a seal kit or a new cylinder. The hydro place I went to was new and big, had all manner of machinery and bare cylinders there in various stages of repair and a virtual warehouse of parts. They were quick, professional, reasonably priced and did great work.

A good hydro place is a stellar option for this if you canít or wonít work on them and donít want to buy new.
    keane likes this.
    2004-L130

2013-2032r, Curtis Hard side cab (project), H130 FEL & 61"bucket, Artillian Modular Grapple on HD frame with Diverter, 2300# Artillian frame w/ 36" x 3" tines, 46BH 9" & 13" bucket, Frontier RB1060, HLA 1000 series 60" JDQA Snow plow, JD ballast box, RK QH, Homemade 3pt multi purpose hitch, 117W of extra LED lights on ROPS and side Brush guards, Ken's bolt on hooks-3x, Ideal Knife grooved R-4's.

8. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements