Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: 36" vs 42" Pallet Forks

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:56 AM
    Thanks

36" vs 42" Pallet Forks

I'm sure this has been discussed ad nauseam, but the search button is not my friend.

I'm looking for opinions on 36" vs 42" forks, which is the best to have?

thanks

2. The Following User Says Thank You to fatback For This Useful Post:

justinb†(09-11-2019)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:59 PM
    Thanks
    it depends on your intended usage. I bought 42. Which is great for pallets and when I moved my truck bed. But it takes away lift capacity. If you properly load your pallets you can be fine but if improperly balanced you might create tip. 36 is great for most general lifting with the smaller machines and modest pallet moving but the 42s have come in handy for me before. Especially before I bought the load and go brackets for my 60d

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    jdforever, kylew and Poppi like this.
    1025r 60d and h120 with bucket. Quick hitch with barbell and weights for ballast.
    Purchased 3/11/2017

Forks soon. Blade for the loader. Rio mod.
    So much fun to be had!

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:30 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,103 Times in 2,266 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fatback View Post
    I'm sure this has been discussed ad nauseam, but the search button is not my friend.

I'm looking for opinions on 36" vs 42" forks, which is the best to have?

thanks
    This is probably the most talked about subject on the forums. Why isnít the search button your friend? Have you tried? There has to be at least 2 dozen threads on this exact subject. Asked and answered many many times.
    jdforever and kylew like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:56 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,660 Times in 1,257 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PickupMan View Post
    it depends on your intended usage. I bought 42. Which is great for pallets and when I moved my truck bed. But it takes away lift capacity. If you properly load your pallets you can be fine but if improperly balanced you might create tip. 36 is great for most general lifting with the smaller machines and modest pallet moving but the 42s have come in handy for me before. Especially before I bought the load and go brackets for my 60d
    The difference in weight between a pair of standard taper 36x3-inch and 42x3-inch is only around 8 lbs (112 lbs. vs 120 lbs.). Just because you have longer fork tines doesn't mean you have to keep your pallet out at the end.

Longer tines are somewhat easier to see the tips from the operator's seat. It can also be easier to grab a pallet that is pushed forward on a truck or trailer. Once you have the pallet on the tines you always want to slide the load up against the back stop anyway so in reality there isn't much disadvantage to the longer tines.
    jdforever, PJR832, EVT and 1 others like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:46 AM
    Thanks
    I debated 36 vs 42...opted for the longer forks. After many hours of use, 42 inches was a good call - much more convenient length. 36 would have been too short for the stuff I'm lifting/scooping/carrying, reaching.
    jdforever, PJR832 and Toughsox like this.

9. Top | #6

Last Online
    09-12-2019 @ 05:19 PM
    Thanks
    I went with the 42" tines and have not regretted my decision.
    PJR832 and Toughsox like this.
    2014 JD 1025R w/R4s, H120 FEL w/JDQA 49" bucket, 54D Auto-connect MMM w/Mulch kit and Mower Deck axles, iMatch Quick Hitch, JD Heavy Duty 3-pt Receiver Hitch, Artillian Pallet forks w/42" tines, Winco 10KW PTO generator, Frontier SS1023B PTO broadcast spreader, Frontier BB2048L Box Blade, Nortrac 60" 3-pt Landscape Rake, Agri Supply 6'x5' drag harrow

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    10-17-2019 @ 12:33 PM
    Thanks
    It's a personal decision. Longer means you can handle more things like logs and branches per load (maybe) and maybe occasionally reach something 6" further away or place a pallet a little further into a truck bed (for instance).

However, you're adding 6" more steel so they weigh more which means you have less lift capacity for your loads and they further away from your pivot point, the less you can lift as well. That said, you can my signature for what I bought/own.

But seriously, use the search function..you'll have lots of reading on what size and what brand to buy.
    Last edited by Zeke_in_SC; 09-11-2019 at 11:50 AM.
    mark02tj, jdforever and Toughsox like this.
    2015 JD 1025R TLB-Setup (Dealer Installed Backhoe & Power Beyond)
    H120 Loader & 260 Backhoe
    60D MMM with Auto Connect & Ind. Hydraulic Lift
    JD I-match Quick Hitch
    Agri Supply CGR-48 Tiller (77709) & 48" Clamp on Debris Fork (87636)
    Yard Tuff 3-Pt. Plug Aerator (Northern Tool)
    42" Titan Forks w/ 2" Trailer Receiver
    HH Toothbar, Rear 2" Rec. Hitch Plate & 3-in-1 Trailer Tow Hitch
    Ken's Bolt on Hooks, Seat Springs, Differential Lock Pedal Ext.
    JD Forward Lighting Kit & Rear Work Light

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:29 PM
    Thanks
    I have 36 x 3 on my 1025R. 36" forks work with most standard sized pallets. They work best in my situation because many if not most of my loads are stored on shelving or up against a wall. Lift capacity is greater when your pallet is against the backrest. I can place heavily loaded pallets 6" closer to the wall.

It's hard to see the tips of 36" forks from the drivers seat, but I'm used to it now.

Everyone's situation is different. You need to decide what is more important to you and what you are mostly going to use them for. No matter what size you get, their usages are endless.
    PJR832, hechtersts, kylew and 1 others like this.
    Greg

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!

2018 JD 1025R FEL /Mauser cab / 53" Bucket/Heavy hitch tooth bar / I-Match / Kenny's extended hook / JD ballast box / Loader mounted JD 54" snow plow/9" wings / Artillian 36" pallet fork set / Woods RTR48.30 tiller & LRS60 landscape rake / Howes 48" box blade /Heavy Hitch receiver/weight bracket / Heavy Hitch ripper/middle plow/subsoiler / Dual Alpena Hex Fire rear led lights / Bora 2" spacers / Land Pride CA1548 core aerator

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:51 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,557 Times in 1,277 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ulhpilot View Post
    I went with the 42" tines and have not regretted my decision.
    I opted for 36" tines and have wished I had gotten longer tines on a few occasions.

To the OP, just simply type "pallet forks" in the search bar and have a ball.
    jdforever, kylew and Toughsox like this.
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    2025R W/120R FEL/Titan 36" Pallet Forks w/round bale spears/Ken's Bolt on Hooks / 72" moose plow / Kawasaki Mule(The Donkey) 610xc w/ Warn winch
    60D Auto Connect w/mulch kit and Gator G6 blades
    County Line- 48" Tiller & middle buster
    Frontier- BB5048L & DH1066 & RC2060
    JD iMATCH
    Homemade cultivator/hiller/chisel plow
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Watch the 2025R on YouTube:
    Elk Creek Acres

13. Top | #10

Last Online
    10-14-2019 @ 02:16 PM
    Thanks
    I have the 42Ē. Iím happy with them, particularly happy that I can see the tips. The only detriment is that when dumping, they are so long that sometimes I have trouble tilting them enough. But I always get the job done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    PJR832 likes this.
    Jonathan

2016 1025R FITLB : OTC (winter only) : AF10F front blade : Titan 42" forks : 60" First Choice RFM : KK 48" Tiller : EA 60" Pine Straw Rake : 60" Landscape Rake : Pat's Hooks : HH w/ 12 42# weights : KK Ripper/Potato Plow : Loaded Rears with 50# weights : Ken's Hooks, springs and straps : HH Tooth Bar : Edge Tamers : BXPanded 6" bucket w/coupler
    2014 X320 : Johnny Plow/Johnny Bucket : Bagger

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast