Bushings on the front shaft used for snow blower.
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jgayman

Thread: Bushings on the front shaft used for snow blower.

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    09-16-2019 @ 08:29 PM
    Thanks

Bushings on the front shaft used for snow blower.

Hi
    I have a 2018 2038R JD with a 59 inch blower that is front mounted. On the front shaft each side has splines on it. These hook onto two arms that are part of the blower assembly one on each side that raise and lowering the blower. Where the shaft with splines go thru the frame, there are two bushings that have a snap ring holding them on. The spline shaft is then kept in place with a ring pin on outer side of each end.

After 2 years of using the blower the bushings are shot. In side the bushings (that are about 2 inch in diameter) is some kind of material pressed into the inside of the bushing. Something for it to ware on as it is raised and lowered I guess. The problem is that they are $75 a piece for each bushing.

Questions
    1. Does any one know where to get these cheaper.

2. What does the material inside the metal bushing do? and is it necessary to have it there what would happen if mounted without that inner bushing part.

3. If its not possible to run with out it then is there some kind of grease or lubricant I can put on the inside of the bushing to increase the life of the bushing. The fuzzy stuff shown in the picture with the bushings is what came out of one of the bushings.

Thank you for your help I can sure use it. Rich
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_3369.JPG   IMG_3985.JPG   IMG_3370.JPG  
    Last edited by Cabin Life; 09-14-2019 at 03:22 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:57 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,660 Times in 1,257 Posts
    I found the bushings in JD Parts. They give no technical description. I doubt very much that you will find a 3rd party replacement. Given it's only been two seasons I would imagine the tractor and front 3PH is still under warranty.

When you think about it, there isn't a lot of movement on that shaft and it moves slowly. Probably less than 90-degrees. Assuming they weren't defective, if they wear that quickly, perhaps applying some lubricant periodically would extend the life.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2R_3PH_LVA21232.jpg  
    Last edited by jgayman; 09-14-2019 at 03:07 PM.
    Zebrafive likes this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    09-16-2019 @ 08:29 PM
    Thanks
    Thank you I added a photo but forgot to put it upright. Yes those are the parts on the diagram but I think they are warranted for only 1 year. You are right there is very little movement only up and down it does not spin. What type of grease would you recommend? You parts diagram is great. thanks again. Rich

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:57 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,660 Times in 1,257 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabin Life View Post
    Thank you I added a photo but forgot to put it upright. Yes those are the parts on the diagram but I think they are warranted for only 1 year. You are right there is very little movement only up and down it does not spin. What type of grease would you recommend? You parts diagram is great. thanks again. Rich
    Before doing anything, call the dealer with the assumption that it is under warranty. Most implements purchased with the tractor carry the same warranty as the tractor. If they say no, then question why $150 worth of bearings only lasted two winters. When you break it down to HOURS, those parts didn’t last long at all.

As for grease, any lube is usually better than no lube. Perhaps some type of waterproof grease. But, see if someone can tell us what that coating is first just in case it does not like grease.

I would be VERY unhappy if this wasn’t a warranty repair.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements