54 Quick hitch blower VS Frontier SB1154 what would you do?
Like Tree10Likes
  • 3 Post By LT_JD
  • 1 Post By jgayman
  • 2 Post By SulleyBear
  • 2 Post By JimR
  • 1 Post By Plug Ugly
  • 1 Post By LT_JD

Thread: 54 Quick hitch blower VS Frontier SB1154 what would you do?

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:17 PM
    Thanks

54 Quick hitch blower VS Frontier SB1154 what would you do?

I live in the country, all open with nearly a mile of cropland all around me. My driveway is elevated so the wind blows it clean most of the time but around the buildings I get substantial drifting.

Most of the area is gravel with a concrete pad in front of the garage and buildings.

Current snow removal equipment,

1025R w/ Mauser cab, 54 Quick hitch blower, 5' rear blade w/shoes.
    318 no cab 54" front blade.
    Skid loader.

I use the 1025R to blow the drifts and the rear blade to touch up where the blower rides upon the snow.
    The 318 I use for sidewalks and the concrete pads.
    I don't use the skid loader because any place I can pile the snow it either puts rock in the fields and lawn, if the ground isn't froze it tears up the lawn, or the piles make the drifting worse the next time it blows.

When the drifts get really deep it takes forever to get through them with the blower and although it only takes me 15 minutes with the 318 with no cab it gets cold, I'm getting older and more of a weenie LOL!

I don't really use the 318 for too many other things the rest of the year so it just sits around in the way.

All of the videos I see of the SB 1154 blowing snow looks like it blows more snow than my 54 front mount.

So what I'm thinking is sell the 54 front mount blower, the 318 and all it's attachments.

Buy a rear mount blower and either a blade for my quick hitch or a loader for my 1025R.

Backing up is not a problem I drive a dump truck and can use the mirrors on the cab to back up. I don't have many obstacles to avoid.

Thoughts?
    BigJim55, PJR832 and JD4044M like this.
    2018 1025R, Mauser cab, 60D deck, 60HD broom, Frontier BB2048 box blade, 647 rototiller, Tarter 5' rear blade, Fimco 40 gal sprayer
    60" Swisher offset finish mower.
    2010 TX Gator

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:48 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,660 Times in 1,257 Posts
    With a front blower and rear blade it sounds like you already have the best setup to handle any snow.

I think you’ll find that almost any 3PH snow blower will out perform the 47 or 54 inch front blower if for no other reason than having a MUCH larger impeller.

Also, keep in mind that there are better and in many cases less expensive 3PH blowers out there than the Frontier. Land Pride and Woods come to mind.
    JD4044M likes this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:30 AM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,549 Times in 1,430 Posts
    Personally, even with mirrors and the video camera system I use, I just don't like removing snow backwards.

I don't know if you would find the large "improvement" you are hoping with the 3PH snow blower verses the front 54 snow blower, yes, it has a larger impeller, but in my opinion, the disadvantages of operating a rotating auger behind me and relying on mirrors (and video) to see is something I wouldn't exchange for the potential for increased volume.

I think I would try some strategically places snow fencing to try and avoid the drifts near the buildings where they get excessive and take so much time to move. If the drifts are 75 feet from the buildings and not in a driveway or walkway it would reduce the time required to move them.

Many consider the set up you have to be ideal, a front blower and rear 3ph plow blade. I suppose if you went with a rear 3ph blower, you could hang a blade on the front quick hitch and reverse the set up you have now and also reduce your need for the 318.
    Town Manager and JD4044M like this.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:20 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LT_JD View Post
    All of the videos I see of the SB 1154 blowing snow looks like it blows more snow than my 54 front mount.
    IMO, that's probably more perception than reality. The SB1154 isn't going to throw much more snow than what you've got. I run a SB1164 on the back of my 2032R and I've been surprised how easy it is to bog that thing down if you move to fast. It works great in the light fluffy stuff but then they all do that pretty well. It's dense packed snow (or slush) that creates all the problems (mine absolutely HATES anything near slush).
    BigJim55 and JD4044M like this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:45 PM
    Thanks
    I run a 3pt snowblower and the loader for the same conditions you are talking about and don't want to do it any other way. Even one of the loader mounted blowers isn't that appealing to me because I always end up cleaning up or piling in certain places with the bucket. If you can use mirrors like I can (and it sounds like you can) all the drama about looking backwards goes away.

When I have finger drifts or a lighter dusting of snow occasionally I'll put the 3pt blade on first and make one windrow of snow before switching to the 3pt blower. That's simple with an iMatch.

My equipment now is bigger (4052R), but I had a 2305 with a 3pt blower and loader, it blew snow off the rear pto to the point the chute was the only thing visible above the drifts.
    JD4044M likes this.

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:11 PM
    Thanks
    LT JD,

Sully Bear brought up an interesting point, If you could put up snow fence or other wind break to cut down on the drifting around the buildings, then the issue of cleaning drifts becomes moot.

I have a similar problem with my neighbor's property that I clean. I had requested that they install a snow fence in the past, but last year it didn't get done. What a pain to keep it clean! With the wind blowing the snow towards me, I had to keep working at it, so I understand what you are up against.

Dave
    1990 955
    Curtis Cab
    Model 59 2 stage snowblower
    72" mid mount mower
    Model 70A loader with Edge Tamers and Edge Extenders

1990 420 repowered with V Twin Honda
    Cozy Cab
    Model 47 2 stage snowblower
    60" mid mount mower
    3 bag Material Collection System

1939 Oliver Row Crop 70

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:17 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Town Manager View Post
    LT JD,

Sully Bear brought up an interesting point, If you could put up snow fence or other wind break to cut down on the drifting around the buildings, then the issue of cleaning drifts becomes moot.

I have a similar problem with my neighbor's property that I clean. I had requested that they install a snow fence in the past, but last year it didn't get done. What a pain to keep it clean! With the wind blowing the snow towards me, I had to keep working at it, so I understand what you are up against.

Dave
    I have tried the snow fence thing, just doesn't work. It's uphill to my place from the north, the photo is looking to the northwest, the snow builds up to the top of the fence then levels off and keeps going till it drops by the buildings.

Over my 40+ years of driving a dump truck I have backed up more miles than a lot of people have driven forward, I have complete confidence with mirrors and backing up.

The main reason for this wild hair is to reduce the amount of equipment I have to maintain maybe make it a little easier to clean snow.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails rollin 2019.jpg  
    JD4044M likes this.
    2018 1025R, Mauser cab, 60D deck, 60HD broom, Frontier BB2048 box blade, 647 rototiller, Tarter 5' rear blade, Fimco 40 gal sprayer
    60" Swisher offset finish mower.
    2010 TX Gator

10. Top | #8
    BWV
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:26 PM
    Thanks
    Front mount with a back blade for me... easier to just drive into it.
    I didn't have problems with the #49 on my 318, I am sure I wont have issues with the 54 on the 1023e.
    "No problem can be solved by the same kind of thinking that created it." Albert Einstein

'19 1023e
    R3 turf tires
    54" AutoConnect Deck
    54" SnowBlower Electric chute
    60" $152 DIY Push Blade
    RimGuard loaded rears + 50lb plastic weights
    LandPride RB0560 60" Back Blade
    72" DIY rake w/guide wheels (uses RB0560 frame)
    48" Taylor Pittsburgh 233 series Rotary Cutter
    LED Headlights, Work lights and 3pt area lighting
    D120 Loader with DIY Toothbar
    Cyclone Rake Classic w/Duals and Power Vacuum

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:39 PM
    Thanks
    I swear by my QH 54” front-mounted blower. The 1025r and that blower are perfectly paired.

My FIL runs a 9 foot farm king double auger monster on the 3 ph of his 100+ HP White with heated cab.

Sure, he wins, but every time I hear from people that love the power of 3ph blowers, they have larger tractors.
    2018 1025R | 120R FEL | 260B Backhoe | 60" MMM w/ Autoconnect | 54" Quick Hitch Snow Blower w/ Spout Control | 54" Quick Hitch Blade | Artillian 3k with 42" Forks | Titan Ballast Box | LED Lighting kit

12. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements