Like Tree5Likes
  • 4 Post By JustinB60
  • 1 Post By Kennyd

Thread: John Deere Model 46 backhoe dolly

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    10-12-2019 @ 09:23 PM
    Thanks
    Wanted to make a post about a pretty simple model 46 backhoe that i made, just in case anyone is looking for ideas when trying to make their own. I sized the height of it so that I could keep the backhoe pins (ones used to avoid leak down, not the subframe pins) in to keep the hydraulic cylinders from leaking down on the arm. I was able to just use the bucket curl to relieve enough pressure on front subframe pins to be able to get the backhoe off. The dolly holding the sub frame arm (at the point where the subframe pins go) is simply a harbor freight dolly with a few pieces of scrap wood screwed into it to hold onto that crossmember on the sub frame to keep that small separate dolly from sliding around.
    The main backbone of the dolly is a butcher block type piece of scrap I got from my dad, the other stuff is just scrap wood chunks left over from other projects. I think this should be at the right position so I can just back up to the connection points, connect hydraulic lines, fiddle with the bucket curl a bit, connect pins and be good to go. We will see how it works in practice the first time I try putting it back on though!

The dolly casters I ended up using: Amazon.com: 4 Swivel Casters 1600Lbs Load Capacity, Heavy Duty Plate Casters with Safety Dual Locking Casters Set of 4 with Brake: Home Improvement
    They seem decent so far but I'll come back and update if I find they get flat spots or anything else undesirable.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-7695.JPG 
Views:	16 
Size:	1.90 MB 
ID:	706400
    Last edited by JustinB60; 09-22-2019 at 10:10 PM.
    Gizmo2, keane, Gebada22 and 1 others like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:39 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,079 Times in 2,545 Posts
    Nice. Those 46's are unwieldy beasts for sure...
    Gizmo2 likes this.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

4. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements