• 2 Post By ddinham
  • 1 Post By JD4044M

Thread: 4044m running 8ft cutter

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:21 PM
    Thanks

4044m running 8ft cutter

Will a 4044m hydrostat be able to handle a 8ft lift rotary cutter or would I be better off buying a high dollar rhino ts10 that is rated for 30 pto hp? Long story short is that I do tractor work on the weekends for extra cash and it mainly involves brush hogging 1 to 20 acres with one of my 6ft cutters. Once or twice a year I will get a job to do 80 or 100 acres to mow. When that happens I have my dad help me with his 5105 and a old 10ft howse mower I rebuilt and my 4044m with a 6ft cutter. That works fine since it used to be rare for such a big job. But I currently picked up a contract to mow a customers 80 acres every 2 or 3 weeks and would like to get it done quicker. Now ideally I would love to buy a 5075 with another 10ft or 12ft mower but cant afford it at the time since I just bought my 4044m this year and am still paying on it. Trading my 4044m in is not an option either because it is the perfect size tractor for the majority of my other jobs and fits in all the right spaces that the 5105 wont. Plus the hydrostat cuts down on mowing times around objects or trees. So would I be okay with running a heavy 8ft 3 pint mount on my 4044m for mowing the 80 acres. Cause I'm kind of right there at or under the hp required but then again the grass I'll be mowing wont be very tall since I have to cut it so often. Now I know it wouldn't be able to handle 4ft tall material but I can normal find a good 8ft mower around 2k to 3k. My other option that I'm trying to stay away from is buy a low hp pull 10ft cutter from rhino that normally go for around 9k or 10k. I would prefer the rhino ts10 but that would be stretching me out financially with me in the process of buy a 30ft gooseneck this winter as well.

So for the long write up. Just trying to give as much info on my situation as possible. Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:53 PM
    Thanks
    I am running a 10ft Rhino on my 4066R but it has 50% more HP. It weighs 1750# and I need the loader and bucket on in order to be able to steer. You would probably have to go enough slower that it might take as long as the 6ft.

Sent from my Samsung Note using Tapatalk Pro
    JD 4066R CAB
    JD H180 FEL with SSQA brackets, JD iMatch, JD Ballast Box & ext, JD pull behind seed spreader
    Frontier RB2196H 8 ft rear blade/hyd angle, Frontier BB1065 Box Blade, Befco 3pt 110 inch RFM
    48" pallet forks, KK 3pt Boom Pole, Northern Tool 3pt middle buster, 2 bottom Dearborn plow
    County Line post hole digger, Rhino 3pt 10ft brush hog, Land Pride 8ft rock rake
    Fit Rite Hydraulics 3pt Top Link, front 3pt adapter for SSQA, 7 1/2 ft Field Roller, 8ft Dearborn tandem disk

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    10-12-2019 @ 03:10 PM
    Thanks
    A finish mower trimming off a few inches of grass, you'd probably be fine.

A brush hog. No Way.

I have a 4600, which is basically a few generations older than your 4044, but similar horsepower. I have problems sometimes with a 6' brush hog in tall grass. I'm surprised you haven't noticed that yourself already.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:21 PM
    Thanks
    With the 4044m you can take off the loader so steering shouldn't be a problem but it would still be a heavy mower.

Yes a 6ft does still bog my 4044m down but only in super tall or thick grass but with mowing this 80 acres it isnt the case. I have to mow it so often that I could mow full speed in b range and the tractor cut just fine and not feel under powered. The problem is that the fields are so rough that you have to mow in a range to keep from bouncing off the tractor. So I would think the 8ft mower would be faster than the 6ft since I'm already mowing at a slow speed. I know the 10ft mower on the 5105 will mow more than double than what the 4044m with the 6ft mower can at the same speed. Because your not losing 2 feet to make the same pace( 6ft mower with one wheel over lap take 2 passes to make the same as one 10ft mower. And you aren't losing as much time of not cutting grass on your turns.

I just feel like a 8ft mower is quite heavy for a 4 series tractor but then again I see people with the 4066 tractors running them just fine.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jgduran View Post
    With the 4044m you can take off the loader so steering shouldn't be a problem but it would still be a heavy mower.

Yes a 6ft does still bog my 4044m down but only in super tall or thick grass but with mowing this 80 acres it isnt the case. I have to mow it so often that I could mow full speed in b range and the tractor cut just fine and not feel under powered. The problem is that the fields are so rough that you have to mow in a range to keep from bouncing off the tractor. So I would think the 8ft mower would be faster than the 6ft since I'm already mowing at a slow speed. I know the 10ft mower on the 5105 will mow more than double than what the 4044m with the 6ft mower can at the same speed. Because your not losing 2 feet to make the same pace( 6ft mower with one wheel over lap take 2 passes to make the same as one 10ft mower. And you aren't losing as much time of not cutting grass on your turns.

I just feel like a 8ft mower is quite heavy for a 4 series tractor but then again I see people with the 4066 tractors running them just fine.

I hear you on going slow as I have to go slow too because of the rough ground. I was running the 10ft Rhino a week or so ago and was running at about 5-6 MPH, mostly due to the rough ground. I haven't run the Rhino early in the year, so don't know if I could go full speed in B range (9 MPH) as I do with the 110inch RFM. However, this time of the year, the RFM also is slowed down to 5-6 MPH.

The worst case scenario I see here is that you take a narrower cut if the going gets too heavy, but if you can run most of the time at the same speed as you are now with the 6ft, I say go for it on the 8ft. I would not recommend even thinking about the 10ft. The thing I have found is that there is so much momentum on the 10ft, that it carries you right on through heavy stuff. My tach just does not drop. Just remember to slow down the engine before turning off the PTO or that brush hog will just keep on turning for a long time.

Dave
    JD 4066R CAB
    JD H180 FEL with SSQA brackets, JD iMatch, JD Ballast Box & ext, JD pull behind seed spreader
    Frontier RB2196H 8 ft rear blade/hyd angle, Frontier BB1065 Box Blade, Befco 3pt 110 inch RFM
    48" pallet forks, KK 3pt Boom Pole, Northern Tool 3pt middle buster, 2 bottom Dearborn plow
    County Line post hole digger, Rhino 3pt 10ft brush hog, Land Pride 8ft rock rake
    Fit Rite Hydraulics 3pt Top Link, front 3pt adapter for SSQA, 7 1/2 ft Field Roller, 8ft Dearborn tandem disk

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:15 PM
    Thanks
    If it were me, I don't know that I would go with an 8ft 3pt rotary cutter. I have a 4052R and I contemplated this exact same thing last spring. I ultimately told myself that I would either go with a 7ft 3pt style, or an 8ft pull type. I ended up getting a 7ft Woods Cadet 3pt cutter. After running it a fair amount, I would say it is all the 4052R can handle. I can cut some pretty tall stuff, but a bigger concern is the weight and size of it. My 3pt arms are barely wide enough to accommodate it (without turning the pins in) and the 3pt can only pick it up about 6 inches off the ground. It's big and heavy. Below is a video of me running it if you would like to see it for comparison. There is also a video on our channel when I first got it with it on my utility trailer. That really shows how big it is. I don't know how far you have to travel for these jobs, but raising the 3pt with an 8ft cutter and traveling a couple miles down the road would be very tough, and if you watch said video, you will see it doesn't fit on a trailer very well either, and it's 7ft, not 8ft. I will be curious to hear what you decide. Happy to answer any other questions you may have!

BigJim55 and JD4044M like this.
    IndyFarmLife - (Adam or Chris)
    Check us out on YouTube - Indy Farm Life

Tractors: JD 4052R, JD 4105, JD 2520 Other Non-Green Machines: Case 580K backhoe, Grasshopper 928D, Grasshopper 721D, Husqvarna 390XP, 450, 455 and 460 Rancher

9. The Following User Says Thank You to IndyFarmLife-AC For This Useful Post:

JD4044M (Today)

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Here is a video I recently posted of my 4066R running a 10ft Rhino brush hog. It weighs 1750# and as previously stated, it needs to have the bucket on the loader to give me enough front end weight to be able to steer. As you can see it handles it just fine.

Dave

JD4044M likes this.
    JD 4066R CAB

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:15 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ddinham View Post
    Here is a video I recently posted of my 4066R running a 10ft Rhino brush hog. It weighs 1750# and as previously stated, it needs to have the bucket on the loader to give me enough front end weight to be able to steer. As you can see it handles it just fine.

Dave
    Do you have any video showing the cutter on the 3pt as you cut? I would love to see that! I can't imagine what that feels like when you pick it up. The Woods 84" knocks the 4052R around.
    BigJim55 and JD4044M like this.
    IndyFarmLife - (Adam or Chris)
    Check us out on YouTube - Indy Farm Life

Tractors: JD 4052R, JD 4105, JD 2520 Other Non-Green Machines: Case 580K backhoe, Grasshopper 928D, Grasshopper 721D, Husqvarna 390XP, 450, 455 and 460 Rancher

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IndyFarmLife-AC View Post
    Do you have any video showing the cutter on the 3pt as you cut? I would love to see that! I can't imagine what that feels like when you pick it up. The Woods 84" knocks the 4052R around.
    Sorry, no video of the cutter itself as I have to use my hand held phone to make the video. Maybe next time, I will try harder for a rear shot. I don't use it very often, so that probably won't happen this year. I think part of your problem with the 7ft brush hog is that it extends so far to the rear with that single set of blades. An 8ft unit has two 4ft sets of blades and a 10ft unit has two 5ft sets of blades. Neither extends as far to the rear as a 7ft unit. But I still need the weight of the bucket to be able to steer when it is raised and if I was making a road trip, I would fill the bucket. Of course, when it is on the ground, the problem is eliminated.

Those blades have an unbelievable amount of momentum and just seem to carry me right on through whatever I am cutting without any strain. I feel more strain when using my 110 inch RFM to cut tall stuff. I have been abusing that RFM to the point that is why I bought the old 10ft brush hog and rehabbed it. BTW, those blades weigh 10lbs each. The 7ft unit might be heavier, but that 40lbs of swinging weight creates a lot of momentum.

I have to be careful going down the road and make sure I stay as far to the side of the road as I can when meeting another vehicle. Another problem with a 10ft unit is getting through a gate. Some of the older gates might not be wide enough.

Dave
    JD4044M and IndyFarmLife-AC like this.
    JD 4066R CAB

13. The Following User Says Thank You to ddinham For This Useful Post:

IndyFarmLife-AC (Today)

14. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:35 PM
    Thanks
    My Brush Hog is 6 ft and I would not go bigger on my 4044M unless I had lots of grass and flat smooth ground. I have to go around stuff and watch for Sage that is super thick and has a hidden rock in the group. It would be faster I guess but then it is a lot of weight on the 3 point held up over the rough ground. digging in once in a while. Now mine has front tires and I like the way it just follows now. I enjoy running it on the place during the spring. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1758.JPG 
Views:	0 
Size:	2.61 MB 
ID:	709624Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1760.JPG 
Size:	950.8 KB 
ID:	709626Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1759.JPG 
Size:	2.57 MB 
ID:	709628I have never seeded anywhere on the place for grass but if you mow it the grass looks so much better!
    1010 likes this.

15. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements