Which Kenís Bolt On hardware do you recommend on the newer buckets?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: Which Kenís Bolt On hardware do you recommend on the newer buckets?

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:04 PM
    Thanks

I know there are probably hundreds of threads on Kenís Bolt On Hooks. But since I have one of the newer buckets with factory holes, I'm wondering what is a most useful setup before I place an order. In other words, if you could do it all over again, what would you change about your bucket setup? Do you prefer the hooks? Do you prefer the clevis? Do you prefer the hook/clevis back-to-back? Do you utilize the middle section of the bucket or do you find the middle section unnecessary if you have hooks/clevis on the corners?

Just like most of you, my bucket will be used for many different things, and some applications that I have yet to imagine. This is why I'm reaching out to those of you who have lots of time and experience with your buckets and Kenís Bolt On products. I'm needing to lift stumps into a trailer to be hauled off, so I'm already seeing a good use for either hooks or a clevis. Any thoughts will be appreciated.
    2019 - John Deere 1025R, 120R Loader, 260 Backhoe, Block Heater, iMatch, Frontier AP10F Pallet Forks

2019 - Iron Bull Utility Trailer, 83Ēx16', 10,000 GVWR
    2018 - Iron Bull Dump Trailer, 6'x12', 10,000 GVWR
    Stihl saws - MS 271 Farm Boss, 034, HT 56 C-E

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:49 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,101 Times in 2,264 Posts
    There is a dedicated section for Kenís stuff -

Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks
    PJR832, Toughsox and biodiesel like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

4. The Following User Says Thank You to coaltrain For This Useful Post:

Kennyd†(09-30-2019)

5. Top | #3

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:38 PM
    Thanks

Not the right guy

Quote Originally Posted by biodiesel View Post
    I know there are probably hundreds of threads on Kenís Bolt On Hooks. But since I have one of the newer buckets with factory holes, I'm wondering what is a most useful setup before I place an order. In other words, if you could do it all over again, what would you change about your bucket setup? Do you prefer the hooks? Do you prefer the clevis? Do you prefer the hook/clevis back-to-back? Do you utilize the middle section of the bucket or do you find the middle section unnecessary if you have hooks/clevis on the corners?

Just like most of you, my bucket will be used for many different things, and some applications that I have yet to imagine. This is why I'm reaching out to those of you who have lots of time and experience with your buckets and Kenís Bolt On products. I'm needing to lift stumps into a trailer to be hauled off, so I'm already seeing a good use for either hooks or a clevis. Any thoughts will be appreciated.
    I'm probably not the right guy to answer this question because I'd use a grapple to lift stumps but if I had to do it using a bucket and KBOH, which I do have on the bucket, I'd probably use a clevis and sling set up vs. a chain. Chain will work well, it's just easier to mess with a sling than a chain because of the weight, as long as you are comfortable getting the length right.

I'd recommend just going ahead and getting the combo hook/clevis set up. It's a few more bucks but then you are done and have the choice to go with either. Unless you are only going to lift light loads, I'd put the hooks/clevis right over the attachment for the lift arms as there's less chance of bending the bucket there, although a center lift point can sometimes be helpful. I would not go to the extreme corners as lifting from one corner only puts a lot of stress on the loader frame, particularly if you are lowering the load a little too quickly and stop it.

Treefarmer
    Kennyd, jdforever, keane and 1 others like this.
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Treefarmer For This Useful Post:

Kennyd†(09-30-2019)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

8. Top | #4

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:30 PM
    Thanks
    I went with the XL Backing Plate and the Bolt on Clevis set up. I never really used the loaders on my old tractors for carrying bulky items and I think the center mount (for me) will work the best. The clevis allows both chain and nylon strap use.
    Kennyd likes this.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ch612 For This Useful Post:

Kennyd†(09-30-2019)

10. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:55 PM
    Thanks
    Nope, one on each side in line with the loader arms or you will bend your bucket.

tquarles and PJR832 like this.
    3025e 60" bucket with parking stand kit, Ken's hooks, quick hitch, finish mower, brush hog, tiller, back blade, scoop, forks, Edge Tamers, weight bracket w/ trailer mover
    Z915B
    GT 245
    X500
    Bolens MTD GTH garden tractor (Dad's old machine)
    20' double axle trailer
    Previous - 2305, 2025R, Z720A, couple other zero turns

11. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:20 PM
    Thanks

I have two hooks. Works well for chain, less good for a strap. Iíve found I use the strap to pickup things more often. Reasons: lighter to move around, less damage to itemís finish. Iíd probably go with a clevis if I did it again. Iíd just be concerned with it rattling. I also often use the strap because I have my forks installed and itís easier to wrap the strap around the forks to take up the slack. If I was picking up logs more often and didnít have forks, then Iíd probably use the chain more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:48 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,660 Times in 1,257 Posts
    I'll throw my 2-cents in. I originally went with three hooks and three clevis backing plates but found I never used the center hook. So I replaced it with Ken's 2" receiver hitch and blacking plate which I use all the time. I use the backing plate for the safety chains when towing my landscape trailer. The combo allows me to use chains, straps, oblong rings, you name it. Plus, I use one of Ken's Ball Dogs in the receiver hitch whenever I need to pull or lift something from that position.

I'm not sure what factory holes you are referring to in your new bucket but pretty much figure on drilling holes for whatever you plan to mount. Which of course, is no biggie.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0813.jpg E26R3940.jpg E26R3956.jpg E26R3941.jpg
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

13. The Following User Says Thank You to jgayman For This Useful Post:

biodiesel†(09-30-2019)

14. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:04 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    I'm not sure what factory holes you are referring to in your new bucket but pretty much figure on drilling holes for whatever you plan to mount. Which of course, is no biggie.
    The factory holes are only on the newer buckets. Your 2012 didn't come with them. According to Ken, the holes are mounting points when the buckets are shipped with the loaders. In other words, the buckets are mounted directly to the loaders via the two holes. Ken's XL Backing Mounting plate utilizes the two factory holes.
    Gizmo2 and Toughsox like this.
    2019 - John Deere 1025R, 120R Loader, 260 Backhoe, Block Heater, iMatch, Frontier AP10F Pallet Forks

2019 - Iron Bull Utility Trailer, 83Ēx16', 10,000 GVWR
    2018 - Iron Bull Dump Trailer, 6'x12', 10,000 GVWR
    Stihl saws - MS 271 Farm Boss, 034, HT 56 C-E

15. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:48 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,660 Times in 1,257 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by biodiesel View Post
    The factory holes are only on the newer buckets. Your 2012 didn't come with them. According to Ken, the holes are mounting points when the buckets are shipped with the loaders. In other words, the buckets are mounted directly to the loaders via the two holes. Ken's XL Backing Mounting plate utilizes the two factory holes.
    Correct. I am familiar with the holes in the newer buckets. I guess my point was that other than two existing holes to secure the center backing plate, you are going to be drilling holes. Especially on the left and right positions which is probably the most appropriate spot for hooks and clevis plates.

While Ken's backing plate does use two holes that are already there on newer buckets, it doesn't eliminate the drilling of new holes. You are still drilling the same number of new holes, either 2 or 4 just in the center depending if you go with a hook or hitch. :-) Add that to the two on each side for hooks and 2012+ bucket or not you are drilling 6 to 8 new holes.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

16. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:34 PM
    Thanks
    I went with the hook/clevis combo, one on each side. I haven't used the clevis yet, but for the small cost, I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Treefarmer and duramaxsky like this.

17. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast