Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Hydraulic Hammer

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:56 PM
    Thanks

Hydraulic Hammer

Has anyone installed a hydraulic hammer on a 385A backhoe? I've got lots of big rocks, so it would be easier to bust them up than dig them out.

Thanks,
    David

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Big
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:56 PM
    Thanks
    I have never installed one on a 385, but I will tell you that hammers are very very hard on backhoes, mini excavator's, and excavator's. Wears out pins and joints very quickly. A little use is not terrible, so if you come across one for cheap and use it infrequently it shouldn't be a problem. Oh another thing is hydraulic flow. I don't know how much your tractor has but hammers could take allot depending on the model. Good luck!
    OxPath and JD4044M like this.
    -2017 2032R, 220r Loader, I-Match, Ken's Extended Top Hook, MMM, JD Ballast Box, Dual rear SCV's, Single Point Hydraulic Connection, Landscape Rake, Tarter Tiller, Boom Pole, Middle Buster/Potato Plow, Drag Harrow, Single Row Hipper, 5' Enorossi sickle bar, 3 point spike drag, Titan 42" Forks, 60" Box Blade, Landpride 3 point spreader, Leinbach 5' Disc.

-Bobcat 325G Mini Ex
    -Toro Dingo 322 with many attachments
    -Honda Pioneer 700

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 07:47 PM
    Thanks
    I’ll echo what Big has already said. Hammer/breakers are the death of many machines and need more hydraulic flow than your likely to be able to provide with your machine.

Not only that, but they are expensive, very heavy(perhaps more than your BH’s capacity), won’t likely fit without modification and to top it all off-as I see them used in heavy highway and bridge work-really only good for breaking up concrete-not natural stone into smaller pieces.

Rent a bigger machine to do the digging work or rent something with the breaker so you can dig later.
    OxPath likes this.
    2004-L130

2013-2032r, Curtis Hard side cab (project), H130 FEL & 61"bucket, Artillian Modular Grapple on HD frame with Diverter, 2300# Artillian frame w/ 36" x 3" tines, 46BH 9" & 13" bucket, Frontier RB1060, HLA 1000 series 60" JDQA Snow plow, JD ballast box, RK QH, Homemade 3pt multi purpose hitch, 117W of extra LED lights on ROPS and side Brush guards, Ken's bolt on hooks-3x, Ideal Knife grooved R-4's.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:32 PM
    Thanks
    personally i wouldnt put one on a small backhoe like that.....you would be better served to get one that hooks on the loader in front .....each has different flow requirements but a skidsteer sized one like i have 500# takes around 15gpm flow

the effectiveness is directly related to the type of rock you have .....if you have granite or hard limestone you will need a bigger hammer something 1000#+ .....soft limestone/sandstone/ concrete etc it will work fine.....i would suggest trying one on rental before buying one.....skidsteer sized ones are a lot cheaper than they used to be .....great for driving posts etc also

keep a grease gun handy
    OxPath and keane like this.
    John Deere
    5105M
    Caterpillar
    D4Hxl
    416C
    Gehl
    5635DX

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:57 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,586 Times in 996 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidL View Post
    Has anyone installed a hydraulic hammer on a 385A backhoe? I've got lots of big rocks, so it would be easier to bust them up than dig them out.

Thanks,
    David
    If you're attempting to dig & remove large rocks you might want to consider sinking them deeper. I've had a lot of experience over the years with rocks and the very large boulders are likely too much for your 375 to handle.

Whenever I encounter a huge boulder I usually just excavate a deeper hole next to it and roll it down and in. A couple of feet below the grade is all that's necessary and it will stay put. This method also makes backfilling much easier and you shouldn't need to bring in any extra fill.
    John Deere 3320
    eHydro, R4's, 300CX Loader, 61" HD Bucket
    JD Tooth Bar, Deluxe Hood Guard, Ken's Bolt-on Hooks
    485 Backhoe w. 18" HD Bucket
    Mid-PTO, Front 3 Point Hitch, 366 Front Blade
    Tarter 5' 3PH Tiller
    Frontier AP12F Forks

John Deere 2032R
    R3's, 220R Loader, 57" HD Bucket
    Curtis Hard Side Cab & Heater
    62D Deck, iMatch Quick Hitch
    54 Snowblower
    Super HeavyHitch
    Little Wonder "Optimax" & JRCO Blower Buggy
    Fimco 60 Gallon 3PH Boomless Sprayer w. PTO Pump

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:57 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,089 Times in 2,254 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Superglidesport View Post
    If you're attempting to dig & remove large rocks you might want to consider sinking them deeper. I've had a lot of experience over the years with rocks and the very large boulders are likely too much for your 375 to handle.

Whenever I encounter a huge boulder I usually just excavate a deeper hole next to it and roll it down and in. A couple of feet below the grade is all that's necessary and it will stay put. This method also makes backfilling much easier and you shouldn't need to bring in any extra fill.
    Works well for stumps also.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:56 PM
    Thanks
    Hey guys, thanks for the feedback. I too am concerned that the tractor (3039R) and backhoe may not stand up to the hammer. That's why I asked if anyone else had done it.

As for digging a hole next to the big rocks and burying them, that wont work as typically there is an even bigger rock next to it.

When we were building the house the soils engineer came out and classified the site as "fractured rock". I have heard of sandy, clay, loam, etc. but never fractured rock.

David
    rtgt and OxPath like this.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:10 PM
    NW Oregun Gutterslut...the Wet Side.... Gaston
    Thanks
    Hire it out or rent

There extremely expensive and hard on smallish machines...Digging stumps losened the pins on my mini ex.

I'd never consider a Hammer.

If you got a huge project....perhaps buy a used complete unit; skidsteer with hammer or mid to large ex.

Do what you gotta do and flip it...otherwise rent...They are Brutal.
    rtgt, OxPath and Herminator like this.
    Dan

JD 955 ,70A loader, 60" mmm , Original I-match ,4' woods B hog , 5' Box blade , 12' orchard plane/driveway grader ,various other doo-dads & homebuilt implements. Goossen BFBlower, JakeRake..this thing is different.
    Kubota U-15
    Kubota RTV 900

47 8n......good times..V8 in my future possibly

Pharrell Williams - Freedom (Video) - YouTube ...George Michael - Freedom! ’90 (Official Video) - YouTube..

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:25 PM
    Thanks
    Agreed they are brutal.

This is the front tilt cylinder ripped out of the top mount of my skid steer from a couple years ago. I’m had used one a couple times before but this job won. Knew someone else that it broke the lift cylinders.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 375CA441-3CE1-490D-8200-2B3AF4DA2F00.jpeg  
    Last edited by Herminator; 09-30-2019 at 11:36 PM.
    Welcome to Intermission.

2017 2038R, 400, 3020 & HPX and thingies to hook to the them.
    112 - Sold in July 2017 but took me until November to admit I just cast it out into this cruel world.
    #compactfarmer

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:32 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Herminator View Post
    Agreed they are brutal.

This is the front tilt cylinder ripped out of the top mount of my skid steer from a couple years ago. I’m had used one a couple times before but this job won. Knew someone else that it broke the lift cylinders.

typical of incorrect use damage....will hammer a hole then use the unit to pry ...the hammer unit makes quite a fulcum and is much stronger than the lift cylinders if they get the point in a bind.....usually breaks a cylinder rod or end
    Last edited by ttazzman; 10-01-2019 at 02:14 AM.
    John Deere
    5105M
    Caterpillar
    D4Hxl
    416C
    Gehl
    5635DX

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast