• 2 Post By BWV
  • 3 Post By PaDave

Thread: Rock Rake Center Link

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Today @ 07:51 AM
    Thanks

Rock Rake Center Link

Is there any reason the center link on rock rakes is not flexible....like a chain or flex connection.....I have a wheel kit and it appears with the flex unit would ride smoother to the ground?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN3983.JPG DSCN3984.JPG

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:01 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by machineryman View Post
    Is there any reason the center link on rock rakes is not flexible....like a chain or flex connection.....I have a wheel kit and it appears with the flex unit would ride smoother to the ground?

I have never seen a rock rake with a flexible center link. However, I can assure you that my hyd toplink fixes that problem quite nicely. Without the wheel kit, it would not be necessary. I shorten my top link for the main usage to get the most dig, then I lengthen it to run mostly on the wheels for a final dressing.

Dave
    rtgt likes this.
    JD 4066R CAB
    JD H180 FEL with SSQA brackets, JD iMatch, JD Ballast Box & ext, JD pull behind seed spreader
    Frontier RB2196H 8 ft rear blade/hyd angle, Frontier BB1065 Box Blade, Befco 3pt 110 inch RFM
    48" pallet forks, KK 3pt Boom Pole, Northern Tool 3pt middle buster, 2 bottom Dearborn plow
    County Line post hole digger, Rhino 3pt 10ft brush hog, Land Pride 8ft rock rake
    Fit Rite Hydraulics 3pt Top Link, front 3pt adapter for SSQA, 7 1/2 ft Field Roller, 8ft Dearborn tandem disk

4. Top | #3
    BWV
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:57 PM
    Thanks
    I don't think the wheels would do their job as well without a rigid top link.
    Every time the horizontal attitude of the tractor changes, the depth of the rake would change as it relates to the wheels.

I.E. if the nose of the tractor was to go up in relation the the rear tires of the tractor, the ends of the lower 3pt links would drop...
    With a flexible top link, this would allow the front of the rake to drop in relation to the rake wheels, causing it to dig...as the wheels fall into the "dug" the rake would dig even deeper

With a rigid top link, the relationship of the rake teeth depth to the rake wheels would remain the same(within reason), as the top link would keep the geometry the same.

I use the rigid(adjustable) top link to set the depth (aggressiveness) of the rake... I usually set the wheels at one spot, then use the top link to fine tune the depth.
    Last edited by BWV; 10-02-2019 at 08:27 PM.
    BigJim55 and Herminator like this.
    "No problem can be solved by the same kind of thinking that created it." Albert Einstein

'19 1023e
    R3 turf tires
    54" AutoConnect Deck
    54" SnowBlower Electric chute
    60" $152 DIY Push Blade
    RimGuard loaded rears + 50lb plastic weights
    LandPride RB0560 60" Back Blade
    72" DIY rake w/guide wheels (uses RB0560 frame)
    48" Taylor Pittsburgh 233 series Rotary Cutter
    LED Headlights, Work lights and 3pt area lighting
    D120 Loader with DIY Toothbar
    Cyclone Rake Classic w/Duals and Power Vacuum

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    10-06-2019 @ 06:29 PM
    Thanks
    I'm going to say I much sooner have a flexible top link between the tractor and the rake. Then you can raise the 3 point arms and rock the rake back onto the wheels thus lifting the teeth off the ground an inch or so. Now the rake will only take off the high spots and fill in the low ones regardless of what the tractor is running over.
    Wouldn't be without it on a landscape rake.
    I discovered how nice it worked on the rake by accident. I made the little 4" extension after I installed Pat's Quick Hitch which extended the lift arms 4 inches, I didn't like the idea of having my center link screwed out so far. It wasn't until I hooked the rake up that I had that eureka moment.
    Everything Attachments does that same thing on their Extreme rakes by providing a slot.
    Click image for larger version.

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-10-02 at 10.36.33 PM.png
Views:	37
Size:	131.1 KB
ID:	707804
    Last edited by PaDave; 10-02-2019 at 09:39 PM.
    rtgt, BigJim55 and BWV like this.
    3520, Sicma 74 tiller, 12Kw PTO gen, 72"auto connect deck, 300cx FEL, 61"HD w/JD toothbar & 6ft snow pusher, JD Ballast box w/Extension, Land Pride FDR-2584 finish mower,

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements