Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: John Deere 647 Tiller - How much is it worth for 'parts?'

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:33 PM
    Thanks

John Deere 647 Tiller - How much is it worth for 'parts?'

I bought a John Deere 647 Tiller from my neighbor friend's estate... he passed away this past February.

I thought I got a decent buy on the tiller for $700, but have now discovered that my neighbor friend apparently did not maintain it well.... in fact, when I checked the oil (after I bought it - - STUPID of me, right??) it was non-existent. I pulled the gearbox drain plug and about a half-cup of rusty water came out.

Two John Deere dealers told me to 'just fill it back up with oil'...... that the gears are tough and I should be alright. I did that, and then noticed the following day that the oil had 'leaked out' from the PTO shaft seal....

So, I loaded it up and took it to the dealer to put what I thought would be a simple, $80 seal. Well, they called back and told me that in addition to the seal, the 'shaft' and the gears needed replacing.

I don't know what lead them to say this.... I had actually used the unit before I bought it once and it operated just fine... even with, apparently, no oil in it.

I really just wanted to know what this unit might be worth for parts.... the 'tines' are in good shape.... maybe somebody would buy it for the tines and other parts such as the hinged door, etc.

What might I get for it?

Thanks.
    Last edited by JoeFriday1979; 10-07-2019 at 07:28 PM.
    Herminator likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 06:07 AM
    Thanks
    Iíd check eBay for used part prices. In order to maximize value you need to disassemble and see individual parts.

In general selling a complete anything for parts the most you will get is the used price of the part the buyer needs, and nothing for the rest.
    Herminator likes this.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 12:18 PM
    Thanks
    Sounds like a winter project.I'd buy the parts needed a little at a time and then repair it to use in the spring.
    Tom

2019 X590 with power mulch control and PF bagger
    30" mechanical tiller
    02 X595 with 62" deck,front thatcher and powerflow PTO kit
    3pt hitch with Heavy Hitch 45 JD loader
    12 JD suitcase weights
    JD/Brinly 3pt plow
    Frontier SS1036 3pt pto spreader
    (2) JS63C walk behind mowers
    TS 105 JD weed wacker
    tow behind 15 gal. sprayer
    Turftime 60" lawn roller
    Turftime 54" 3pt core aerator

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:27 PM
    Thanks
    I would look at what kind of damage the shaft and gears have. If it was working before without gear oil itís probably going to work fine for a long time. I have that same tiller and do a couple good sized gardens every year. It doesnít get that much run time. Maybe use cornhead grease in the gearbox, it wonít leak out like gear oil.
    JoeFriday1979 and Herminator like this.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:58 PM
    Thanks
    I believe they ship without oil. I wonder if it had any put in it ever.

Dealer might just be being cautious because they probably don’t want to put a seal on it and have you come back and complain because rust off of something got in the seal and wrecked the new one. The chain and gears might be able to be cleaned up where that would not be a problem but when you figure in dealer labor it might be cheaper to just get parts. For them it’s absolutely safer.

How much did they quote for the new parts only.
    Last edited by Herminator; 10-07-2019 at 07:45 PM.
    BigJim55 and JoeFriday1979 like this.
    Welcome to Intermission.

2017 2038R, 400, 3020 & HPX and thingies to hook to the them.
    112 - Sold in July 2017 but took me until November to admit I just cast it out into this cruel world.
    #compactfarmer

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Today @ 08:00 AM
    Thanks
    I would not put a part in it,,
    Go back to the Deere dealer, get a tube of "corn head grease"
    (Yes, that is what the Deere dealer will call it also)

Put the grease in the gearbox, the gears and bearings will last as long as if the gearbox had oil in it.

This is a common fix, I guess corn heads leak also??

Corn head grease is used by everybody, for every gear lube you can imagine.

I have it in the gearbox on a Gravely rotary plow,,, the parts to fix it would cost 3 times what I paid for the plow,,
    I have been using the plow that way for half a decade,,,

$6 is the right cost to fix it,,,
    BigJim55, 69project and iamrfixit like this.
    Some of the tractors include JD 4105, JD 855, JD 650,,,, and,,, the IH 584 4WD
    My favorite attachment is the homemade landplane,,, EVERYONE needs one of those!!

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:58 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CADplans View Post
    I would not put a part in it,,
    Go back to the Deere dealer, get a tube of "corn head grease"
    (Yes, that is what the Deere dealer will call it also)

Put the grease in the gearbox, the gears and bearings will last as long as if the gearbox had oil in it.

This is a common fix, I guess corn heads leak also??

Corn head grease is used by everybody, for every gear lube you can imagine.

I have it in the gearbox on a Gravely rotary plow,,, the parts to fix it would cost 3 times what I paid for the plow,,
    I have been using the plow that way for half a decade,,,

$6 is the right cost to fix it,,,

Agreed. It turns to a liquid when warm but returns to a grease. When my transfer case on my car started leaking at 80,000 I replaced it. When it started leaking again at 160,000 I filled it with that. It was still in it when I traded it at 305. When it was 0 degrees it bound a little going out the driveway but that was the only issue.
    Welcome to Intermission.

2017 2038R, 400, 3020 & HPX and thingies to hook to the them.
    112 - Sold in July 2017 but took me until November to admit I just cast it out into this cruel world.
    #compactfarmer

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Herminator For This Useful Post:

lindsey97†(10-08-2019)

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    10-16-2019 @ 02:30 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,401 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Herminator View Post

Dealer might just be being cautious because they probably donít want to put a seal on it and have you come back and complain because rust off of something got in the seal and wrecked the new one. The chain and gears might be able to be cleaned up where that would not be a problem but when you figure in dealer labor it might be cheaper to just get parts. For them itís absolutely safer.

if it was me-----i would do what cadplans said and put the corn husk grease in it. i think jd just wants it to be brand new inside and fresh for u. as they are suppose to warranty it for a yr-i think

go get it haul it home-clean everything up good-stick a new seal in it--and fill it with the grease and use it-u already are into it for $700--u can work cheaper than jd can for sure. go for it
    jim

2006 2520 mcut, 2004 x475, 1953 model 50, 1985 318-was my Dad's,
    king kutter tiller-60", frontier-stone rake, jd-4ft brush hog, frontier-6ft back-blade, frontier-forks, 48 inch forks,
    2-54inch jd snow plows, jd-5ft-pull brush hog,

2018 835R gas model gator-"aka" the Cadillac i say!! 6ft jd snow plow-which already has a dtac out on it. i got just about everything on it i could at the time

12. Top | #9

Last Online
    Today @ 06:14 AM
    Thanks
    I would not part out that tiller. Brand new they are well over $2k so it's worth putting a little money in it. I would replace the seals myself and then put oil or the grease as others have suggested. Unless the gears are broken and the chain (I assume there is a chain with this tiller) is stretched nothing was probably hurt too bad by it being run dry or getting corroded. It's not a precision assembly like the internal parts of an engine or transmission. They are great tillers, so worth putting some money in it, if you are a DIYer. If you are not, buy the parts and then go to a small engine repair shop that isn't a JD Deere dealer and have them fix it. The busy season is just about over so those shops will be looking for work.
    3025e, D160 loader, Artillian Grapple, Forks, Hoe Bucket, Frontier Land Plane, Rotomec PDH300, Redline Systems 54 inch rock bucket, Heavy Hitch
    400 Garden Tractor, 35a Tiller, 54 inch plow, 60 inch deck

13. Top | #10

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:33 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Herminator View Post

Dealer might just be being cautious because they probably donít want to put a seal on it and have you come back and complain because rust off of something got in the seal and wrecked the new one. The chain and gears might be able to be cleaned up where that would not be a problem but when you figure in dealer labor it might be cheaper to just get parts. For them itís absolutely safer.

I believe the shaft was $480 and the seal was $80.... can't recall how much the 'gears' were.

I was a 'little' surprised, because, like I noted in my post, it ran perfectly fine the last time I used it prior to purchasing the unit..... even with no oil in the gear box. There WAS oil in the Chain Guard Case.

I am half-tempted to have them replace the seal.... oil it up and see what happens. I probably would use it 6 times a year at the most. My garden is about 20' X 20'...... and I would till it once in spring and once in fall, and I use a small manual TroyBilt tiller to till between the growing rows of vegetables the rest of the season.... and then, maybe a neighbors garden or two.
    BigJim55, Herminator and Catfishin like this.

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast